The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty_mad

Seems realistic, who scores?
Original post by AnharM
No, not Wenger.

Yes Wenger, with City's players he could essentially do a carbon copy of our invincibles set up. Just cause we've fallen away as one of the top 2 clubs in English football doesn't mean he's necessarily passed it.

Wenger circa 1997-2008 would probably be more accurate though.
Original post by AnharM
No, not Wenger.

Nip and tuck. Would do better than Pellegrini though.

Invincibles team got 90 points, so breaking the points record may be a bit off since his best team got that.
(edited 9 years ago)
You can't really put Mourinho and Wenger in the same category as Ferguson when it comes to getting the most out of players
Original post by FabioCannavaro
You can't really put Mourinho and Wenger in the same category as Ferguson when it comes to getting the most out of players

Mou is the superior tactician
Wenger is the superior developer of players
SAF is the superior man manager
Original post by Pete_91

So when it comes to leading City's team to the points record Wenger wouldn't be especially good. Mourinho would be good but his tactic skills are more useful in a knockout competition. Fergie is just the league god.
So when it comes to leading City's team to the points record Wenger wouldn't be especially good. Mourinho would be good but his tactic skills are more useful in a knockout competition. Fergie is just the league god.

Preservation of the unbeaten record was partly responsible for not getting the points total higher than 90 in 2004. SAF is definitely the best suited to winning the league though yeah.

Na he's just good at league and cups.

Who has the points record in spain and in England? There's your answer. Mou has struggled since he had Pep and Barca to contend with but he was the league god in England and Italy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 628
Original post by hayles101
This is a strange post. The players you have just posted half are totally out of form or not even nailed down in the first XI

Sanchez is having an indifferent start, looked good at times and poor at others and has even missed a couple of games as Wenger obviously felt others were a better choice, Carzola is miles off his 2012 form and hasn't look fantastic for a while & Ozil has had 1 good game out of the last season and a bit. Wenger clearly will not stick with him in number 10, whether that is the cause I don't know.

Even Ramsey, who I think was absolutely class last season, is being plagued once again by injures (which is unlucky cause I actually like him a lot, seems like a humble guy).

Your midfield has a lot of depth but IMO you still need another decent CB, full back, DM, world class striker & even possibly a second striker. To me that is still a lot of work.

And before you are defensive about my comments I am not trying to WUM, I am aware United are also in need of additions before competing, although IMO we are much much closer.

The team as a whole is lacking confidence. The players that I've posted are clearly talented players, and like I said in my original post, they're just out of form.

I agree with your analysis on who we need, that's pretty much what I was referring to when I said "a couple of signings away". If/when we get those, and Arsenal's form in general mimics that of Sept-Nov 2013, then we'll basically be a top top team.

In my original post, I was just referring to how we're still a nearly team. With the addition of a CDM, possibly another striker.. Our starting 11 is a match for anyone. Then we just need to add adiquate depth. I can never understand why Verm wasn't replaced.

Generally speaking, we have a bunch of talented players. We just a few more marquee signings to become a very very good team.

It's scary though, apparently united are in a crisis and yet they're 3/4 players away from being a strength in the PL. Arsenal are roughly 3/4 players away too.. And that's worrying :frown:
Reply 629
Original post by Pete_91

Spot on
Original post by jam278
Na he's just good at league and cups.

Who has the points record in spain and in England? There's your answer. Mou has struggled since he had Pep and Barca to contend with but he was the league god in England and Italy.

Fergie got 6 points off the record with a relatively poor squad. If he had a team comparable to 04-05 Chelsea he would've broken it.

In terms of getting the most out of players it's clearly SAF over Mourinho.
The idea that United are in a crisis is overblown. They really are too big to fail.
Original post by Tom_Ford
The idea that United are in a crisis is overblown. They really are too big to fail.

Once we start playing week in week out with our proper team the confidence will return.
Reply 633
Original post by AR_95
It will take a bit of time. Doubt Wenger would ever splash big money on more than 1 quality signing like the likes of Ozil/Alexis in 1 window. Anyways, Welbeck is coming good. Not amazing but he's already doing a better job than Giroud tbh so I'm not sure on how keen I am of his return, unless he comes back and does a mad one (Sept to december 2013)

Defo, which is why if he does retire at the end of his contract, chances are he wouldn't have won a PL. Our team is basically at that stage where if we don't start winning more trophies then the players will begin to leave 1 by 1, and the we simply rebuild again.

I don't really care what the specific circumstance were but there's a trend. When the invincible days were over.. The Hleb, Roscisky, Flamini midfield days begun and they almost became a winning team. Then they left and then the Fabregas, Nasri, Song midfield developed and then again, we became a nearly team.. And then they leave and now we got a Ozil, Cazorla, Ramsey, Walcott midfield and I just fear the snakes in some of our players will come out if we don't win anything soon enough.

It's a viscous cycle with us, feel like we're cursed
Original post by SHOO
The team as a whole is lacking confidence. The players that I've posted are clearly talented players, and like I said in my original post, they're just out of form.

I agree with your analysis on who we need, that's pretty much what I was referring to when I said "a couple of signings away". If/when we get those, and Arsenal's form in general mimics that of Sept-Nov 2013, then we'll basically be a top top team.

In my original post, I was just referring to how we're still a nearly team. With the addition of a CDM, possibly another striker.. Our starting 11 is a match for anyone. Then we just need to add adiquate depth. I can never understand why Verm wasn't replaced.

Generally speaking, we have a bunch of talented players. We just a few more marquee signings to become a very very good team.

It's scary though, apparently united are in a crisis and yet they're 3/4 players away from being a strength in the PL. Arsenal are roughly 3/4 players away too.. And that's worrying :frown:

Regarding your last bit I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Only reason people are going on like that about us is because we have dominated for the last 10 years (due to one absolute genius manager pretty much not even the individual players) so when we don't do so well the press love it and everyone is all over it. It's sells papers.

I think if I was an Arsenal fan I would just want a bit of progress right now. You got a trophy last year which is a big step after the last few years of drama (Carling Cup final against Birmingham etc) which is a monkey off your back now. But some progress in the league, even up to 3rd is a step in the right direction. And kick on from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tom_Ford

Exactly this, they're basically the RBS of football.

#poldiLAD #aha

Only reason people are going on like that about us is because we have dominated for the last 10 years (due to one absolute genius manager pretty much not even the individual players) so when we don't do so well the press love it and everyone is all over it. It's sells papers.

I think if I was an Arsenal fan I would just want a bit of progress right now. You got a trophy last year which is a big step after the last few years of drama (Carling Cup final against Birmingham etc) which is a monkey off your back now. But some progress in the league, even up to 3rd is a step in the right direction. And kick on from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Progress is the key for me, yeah. Points totals are what I look to mainly (as well as progress in the cups), if we hit 80 points this season it will be a sign we're going the right way still.
Reply 638

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps. But see my reply to AR, I feel as though we're that "nearly" team right now and if we don't start winning soon our players will begin to leave.

I got a dirty feeling that maybe in the season after next, Bayen will try and swoop for Ozil. He's German. And basically because they can they will get him.

Pretty happy that Wengers got a strong spine of British players though, they tend not to be snakes.. But I do feel we're entering that make or break era again. And typically it's been a break for us
Original post by SHOO
Perhaps. But see my reply to AR, I feel as though we're that "nearly" team right now and if we don't start winning soon our players will begin to leave.

I got a dirty feeling that maybe in the season after next, Bayen will try and swoop for Ozil. He's German. And basically because they can they will get him.

Pretty happy that Wengers got a strong spine of British players though, they tend not to be snakes.. But I do feel we're entering that make or break era again. And typically it's been a break for us

90% of the players we lost in the austerity era were because of finances. We aren't going to have that kind of issue with most of the players we have now. The other 10% were down to a lack of ambition (and Cesc wanting to go home) shown by the club. I'm not sure you can say spending 16m on Welbeck and 35m on Sanchez in one window is lacking ambition?

Latest