The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
Perhaps. But see my reply to AR, I feel as though we're that "nearly" team right now and if we don't start winning soon our players will begin to leave.

I got a dirty feeling that maybe in the season after next, Bayen will try and swoop for Ozil. He's German. And basically because they can they will get him.

Pretty happy that Wengers got a strong spine of British players though, they tend not to be snakes.. But I do feel we're entering that make or break era again. And typically it's been a break for us

Problem with that is Hodgson will get your English players injured during internationals...
Reply 641
Original post by Pete_91
90% of the players we lost in the austerity era were because of finances. We aren't going to have that kind of issue with most of the players we have now. The other 10% were down to a lack of ambition (and Cesc wanting to go home) shown by the club. I'm not sure you can say spending 16m on Welbeck and 35m on Sanchez in one window is lacking ambition?

Nah course not, it's been a better 12 months of transfer activity from our part, especially given that no one significant has left. It's just that if we were to look the rivals, they've gone out and gotten exactly what they've needed. We've had a pretty sidewards transfer window. Better than pervious years obviously but considering how strong Chelsea and City look now look, it's not been as productive as we all would have liked. The fact that Chelsea got Costa, Matic etc and City got Mangala, Fernando etc just shows that the players we needed were available. So in that sense it's a bit sad.

Fair enough about the reasons for our ex players' departures but they way they did it absolutely mugged us. It's happened thrice and we're approaching that stage again where we've prepared the nearly perfect team. Just scared as hell that they might get robbed from us too
Reply 642
Original post by samir12
Problem with that is Hodgson will get your English players injured during internationals...

*Sigh*

Always had a strong hate for international breaks
Original post by FabioCannavaro
Fergie got 6 points off the record with a relatively poor squad. If he had a team comparable to 04-05 Chelsea he would've broken it.

In terms of getting the most out of players it's clearly SAF over Mourinho.

Because Mourinho builds a top team most of the time and bar at Barca(which is understandable) he's dominated in every league he's been in, breaking the points record in 2 out of 4 leagues he's managed in while remaining unbeaten at home for 150 league matches?

Mou is just as effective as Fergie when it comes to league titles. As much as I hate to say it though, Guardiola is probably the best wrt league titles, he had a lot to do with that Barca revolution so you have to give him credit. Would love to see him in the prem one day, top manager. A project like Arsenal would be pretty tasty for him.
Original post by SHOO
Perhaps. But see my reply to AR, I feel as though we're that "nearly" team right now and if we don't start winning soon our players will begin to leave.

I got a dirty feeling that maybe in the season after next, Bayen will try and swoop for Ozil. He's German. And basically because they can they will get him.

Pretty happy that Wengers got a strong spine of British players though, they tend not to be snakes.. But I do feel we're entering that make or break era again. And typically it's been a break for us

They'll go for Ozil when they have a better player in Gotze and Muller. Especially when they play 4-1-4-1 so don't actually require Ozil in the formation?
I think Ozil's past his best.
Original post by shawn_o1
I think Ozil's past his best.

He's only just 25, I don't think that's likely somehow.
do you think you'll score any goals next week? honest question.
Original post by The Assassin
do you think you'll score any goals next week? honest question.

Against Chelsea or Gala too? If just Chelsea, then nah don't think we will. 2/3-0 we'll lose minimum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wenger: 1000+ games for Arsenal, 0 goals. Wenger is a flop.

#WengerOut

Spoiler

Anyone else think Mesut had a class game yesterday? Our best player imo.

Flamini is a disgrace.
Not afraid of Chelsea, feel sorry for anyone who is tbh. I reckon we'll turn up, it will either be a draw or an Arsenal win
Reply 651

That pretty much sums up the chelsea game
Original post by AnharM
Seems realistic, who scores?

I think Costa with a brace and Oscar or Schurrle with the other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 653
Original post by jam278
Because Mourinho builds a top team most of the time and bar at Barca(which is understandable) he's dominated in every league he's been in, breaking the points record in 2 out of 4 leagues he's managed in while remaining unbeaten at home for 150 league matches?

Mou is just as effective as Fergie when it comes to league titles. As much as I hate to say it though, Guardiola is probably the best wrt league titles, he had a lot to do with that Barca revolution so you have to give him credit. Would love to see him in the prem one day, top manager. A project like Arsenal would be pretty tasty for him.

They'll go for Ozil when they have a better player in Gotze and Muller. Especially when they play 4-1-4-1 so don't actually require Ozil in the formation?

Nah not for any reason in particular. Simply because they can. They love having the best German talent right? They don't even have a particular need to go for Reus, and yet arnt they odds on to get him? Ozil will probably get really pissed off with all the hate that he gets here too.
Reply 654
Original post by angelfox
Anyone else think Mesut had a class game yesterday? Our best player imo.

Flamini is a disgrace.

Defo. There's a spring in his step now and doesn't come across as lazy.

Flamini flopped us twice now. He let Aguero run in behind him and score for city too, and then ****ed up yesterday
Original post by SHOO
Nah not for any reason in particular. Simply because they can. They love having the best German talent right? They don't even have a particular need to go for Reus, and yet arnt they odds on to get him? Ozil will probably get really pissed off with all the hate that he gets here too.

Reus is potentially going bayern because Ribery is getting on and so is Robben. They're both 30 so needs replacing. Plus there's also the weakening of their team as he's clearly Dortmunds best attacking player.
Diego Costa, seriously he can score even if a parked bus is in front of goal
Also we're getting smashed by Chelsea next week if Costa's fit. Only hope is that his hammy goes.
Reply 658
Original post by jam278
Reus is potentially going bayern because Ribery is getting on and so is Robben. They're both 30 so needs replacing. Plus there's also the weakening of their team as he's clearly Dortmunds best attacking player.

This is true, perhaps a bad example to use. I'm just mentally prepared for another raid :frown:
Chelsea are at home so Mourinho knows he needs 3 points. He won't park the bus so much but for Arsenal it's essential to score first.

Latest