The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
He did have a good game yesterday, but it was a derby - I'd expect nothing less. It's the games like West Ham away or minnows at home which he struggles in because players man-mark him out of the game, giving him no room to be creative. If I was Rodgers I'd have a long, hard think about Gerrard.

He'll obviously be a starter for the next twelve months or so - but I'd rather we signed a world class holding midfielder this summer rather than Can and played Henderson alongside them, with Sterling, Gerrard and Coutinho in front. I don't think Rodgers can justify Gerrard's selection in that role when Lallana performs like yesterday, though.

I see Gerrard as always having the ability to step up in big games, though. Similar to Lampard this season for City. Lampard's timing of arriving into the penalty box is absolutely second to none. He got a key goal against Chelsea and then three more since. I think Gerrard can be utilised in the same way. We can draw upon his experience in games against the likes of the top four and Everton and big European nights, but it will inevitably reach the stage where he doesn't need to be playing against Sunderland at home and Stoke away.

You'd think in those games we'd have more of the possession and therefore Gerrard should be more effective? I think Rodgers needs to go back to being a little bit more unpredictable.

Gerrard can't play further up anymore - it's either deep or not at all imo.
The only saving grace is that our rivals (for 3rd/4th) are doing equally bad.

Arsenal - 10
Man Utd - 8
Spurs - 8
Liverpool - 7
Everton - 6

West Brom (H), QPR (A), Hull (H) and Newcastle (A) - we need to pick up some decent points over these next 4 games to make sure we make up some ground.
Original post by Zerforax

West Brom (H), QPR (A), Hull (H) and Newcastle (A) - we need to pick up some decent points over these next 4 games to make sure we make up some ground.

12 points on paper. In reality we'll end up getting about five.
The only saving grace is that our rivals (for 3rd/4th) are doing equally bad.

Arsenal - 10
Man Utd - 8
Spurs - 8
Liverpool - 7
Everton - 6

we've been lucky - on another year we would already be 6+ points down.
never seen a worse start from us in terms of performances, so it's pretty hilarious how we're still in contention with everybody except chelsea who are 9 points ahead of us after 6 games (lol).

can't see arsenal getting anything from chelsea, not at the bridge.
city will have no problems especially since villa's home form is generally poor.
united's first test against a top 6 team - i think they'll win but that means everton would drop points which is a plus.
soton will give spurs a good go too, even if it's at WHL.

every rival team except for city is playing a game where it wouldn't be a shock for them to drop points.
we're playing west brom at anfield, if we can't get a win from that then we may as well just give up...

feeling positive about the weekend though; likely to have sturridge back and it's a relatively nice game too.
i don't think we'll be more than a point adrift of united/arsenal by the end of the gameweek which would be a nice boost for morale.
we just need a win to finally get things going.
comfortable 3 goal margin with balotelli getting off the mark would be excellent.
Original post by Mackay

i get more frustrated when we lose to a "meh" team than when we lose to a rival.
is that weird?
even though in terms of points a rival loss is terrible, i just can't stand us being turned over by a team that we're clearly higher quality than.

if by some miracle we get 12/12, that puts us on 19 pts from 10 games.
hilariously our start was so poor that even if we win 4 in a row from now, we'd still be below our 2 ppg average target...
(edited 9 years ago)
Still 19 points after 10 games is fine considering you are a second half of the season team.
Just have a funny feeling you lot will slip up against West Brom and Hull.

Seriously if you lot fail to beat West Brom next week, it's very worrying. Liverpool always roll Everton over at Anfield but it didnt happen. Its far to early to say it, but this might mirror the 09/10 season. Liverpool finish runners up the previous season and then **** up the next.
Original post by jam278
Still 19 points after 10 games is fine considering you are a second half of the season team.

it's not too bad if you look at the circumstances - most other rivals doing badly, generally decent form towards the second half of the season.
but looking at it isolated, 2 wins 1 draw and 3 losses from our opening set of games is borderline ridiculous for a club like us whether we're a "second half of the season team" or not.

Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce

Seriously if you lot fail to beat West Brom next week, it's very worrying. Liverpool always roll Everton over at Anfield but it didnt happen. Its far to early to say it, but this might mirror the 09/10 season. Liverpool finish runners up the previous season and then **** up the next.

please don't.:dry:
hang on to a 2-1 home win against west ham after parking the bus and suddenly you're more concerned with our team than your own? :wink:

no excuse if we don't beat west brom, but we were simply unlucky on saturday.
we rolled them over in-game but we didn't get the points.
took balotelli forgetting how to do his job and a miracle goal to take it way from us.
i ain't bitter at all....:rolleyes:

meh, things change.
arsenal won't get top 4 for ever for instance.
we'll break our runners up then fail cycle sat some point; hopefully this is the year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio
hopefully this is the year.

:sogood:
Original post by jam278

that looks bad taken out of context - i meant another top 4 finish, not the title.
we ain't getting close this season; the little horse has grown up.
Original post by Lúcio
it's not too bad if you look at the circumstances - most other rivals doing badly, generally decent form towards the second half of the season.
but looking at it isolated, 2 wins 1 draw and 3 losses from our opening set of games is borderline ridiculous for a club like us whether we're a "second half of the season team" or not.

please don't.:dry:
hang on to a 2-1 home win against west ham after parking the bus and suddenly you're more concerned with our team than your own? :wink:

no excuse if we don't beat west brom, but we were simply unlucky on saturday.
we rolled them over in-game but we didn't get the points.
took balotelli forgetting how to do his job and a miracle goal to take it way from us.
i ain't bitter at all....:rolleyes:

meh, things change.
arsenal won't get top 4 for ever for instance.
we'll break our runners up then fail cycle sat some point; hopefully this is the year.

Original post by jam278

Beat me to it :lol:

It wouldnt be surprising if you dropped points but then again it wouldnt be surprising if you got 12/12. Liverpool have been so inconsistent as have everyone else bar ofcourse Chelsea. Btw that West Ham team thumped your side and restricted you lot to no shot on target (iirc?) we beat them so yeah I'd be concerned about Liverpool :wink:. On a more serious note, tbh dont care what any of the other sides do so long as United win.

You have to admit, that Jagielka goal was a beauty. He isnt going to score a better goal than that. Amazing how both captains scored :lol:.

2 remaining spots in the top 4 is a battle between Arsenal, United and Liverpool.
Spurs just got a draw to Arsenal at the emirates, don't underestimate them yet, although they were pretty atrocious for most of that game but if they're getting results the same way Arsenal are it's a bit unfair to count them out.

that West Ham team thumped your side and restricted you lot to no shot on target (iirc?) we beat them so yeah I'd be concerned about Liverpool :wink:

You have to admit, that Jagielka goal was a beauty. He isnt going to score a better goal than that. Amazing how both captains scored :lol:.

2 remaining spots in the top 4 is a battle between Arsenal, United and Liverpool.

We lost 3-1 with 0 shots on target...
Seems legit.

By that logic, does that make Leicester better than Real Madrid?

It was an unbelievable goal.
Hard to fully appreciate when it robs your team though.

I think arsenal are getting 3rd.
United and Liverpool are too up and down; whichever finds some consistency will get the coveted 4th place.
Still early though.
Original post by Lúcio
We lost 3-1 with 0 shots on target...
Seems legit.

By that logic, does that make Leicester better than Real Madrid?

It was an unbelievable goal.
Hard to fully appreciate when it robs your team though.

I think arsenal are getting 3rd.
United and Liverpool are too up and down; whichever finds some consistency will get the coveted 4th place.
Still early though.

LOL oh **** i forgot Sterling scored :colonhash:. I somehow thought West Ham won 3-0 :lol:

Surely your logic is failing you since it was deemed as a joke no? How on Earth does that even make sense anyway. We beat RM in a friendly and Leicester beat us in a competitive game :s-smilie:.

Dont think Arsenal are bang on for 3rd just yet. I think after Christmas we'll see how the table is lining up. Some shocking results already after 6 games played. I ****ing love the PL.
LOL oh **** i forgot Sterling scored :colonhash:. I somehow thought West Ham won 3-0 :lol:

Surely your logic is failing you since it was deemed as a joke no? How on Earth does that even make sense anyway. We beat RM in a friendly and Leicester beat us in a competitive game :s-smilie:.

Dont think Arsenal are bang on for 3rd just yet. I think after Christmas we'll see how the table is lining up. Some shocking results already after 6 games played. I ****ing love the PL.

We aren't THAT bad.
We still have SOME decent players :colone:

I was making a joke out of your joke, gutted :/

Yeah, way too early just now.
La liga may have the best players in the world but the premier league is the place to be for general entertainment.
Original post by Lúcio
We aren't THAT bad.
We still have SOME decent players :colone:

I was making a joke out of your joke, gutted :/

Yeah, way too early just now.
La liga may have the best players in the world but the premier league is the place to be for general entertainment.

You lot will be fine when Sturridge returns tbh. Balotelli, like Falcao need that first goal to get going in the PL even though Balo did score in the CL. He's getting into the right positions but he just cant seem to score atm for you lot.

You cant do that :colonhash:

Laliga is really top heavy though. I'd like to see the TV revenue being split equally throughout their league rather than Barca and RM hogging most of the money. Laliga and Bundesliga is a good watch for an occassional football match between thier mid table clubs. I enjoy the football at times and ofcourse the main clashes like Bayern-Dortmund and Dortmund-Schalke and in Laliga the Madrid derby, El Classico and i enjoy the Basque derby. Nothing beats our league when it comes to entertainment though as you pointed out.
(edited 9 years ago)

I've been saying that this is like the 09/10 season since pre-season. Frustrating times.
Original post by Mackay

Yea I agree. Don't forget we have some tough CL games mixed in there.

Original post by Lúcio
we've been lucky - on another year we would already be 6+ points down.
never seen a worse start from us in terms of performances, so it's pretty hilarious how we're still in contention with everybody except chelsea who are 9 points ahead of us after 6 games (lol).

can't see arsenal getting anything from chelsea, not at the bridge.
city will have no problems especially since villa's home form is generally poor.
united's first test against a top 6 team - i think they'll win but that means everton would drop points which is a plus.
soton will give spurs a good go too, even if it's at WHL.

every rival team except for city is playing a game where it wouldn't be a shock for them to drop points.
we're playing west brom at anfield, if we can't get a win from that then we may as well just give up...

feeling positive about the weekend though; likely to have sturridge back and it's a relatively nice game too.
i don't think we'll be more than a point adrift of united/arsenal by the end of the gameweek which would be a nice boost for morale.
we just need a win to finally get things going.
comfortable 3 goal margin with balotelli getting off the mark would be excellent.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere near Man City or Chelsea tbh.

Man Utd will get battered over their next 6 games. Will be delicious. I think we'll be stronger in the 2nd half of the season so as long as we can keep in touch for GW20, I'll be okay.

Sturridge better not get injured for England in October.. Rodgers should tell him not to go tbfh.
Yea I agree. Don't forget we have some tough CL games mixed in there.

I don't think we're going to get anywhere near Man City or Chelsea tbh.

Man Utd will get battered over their next 6 games. Will be delicious. I think we'll be stronger in the 2nd half of the season so as long as we can keep in touch for GW20, I'll be okay.

Sturridge better not get injured for England in October.. Rodgers should tell him not to go tbfh.

don't get downhearted guys!
we'll have sturridge back; if we still can't win it's time to panic, but for now let's just have hope!

nah, city have had a "meh" start but they've also not had easy fixtures either.
chelsea have started exactly as expected - both are a good few levels above us.
we just gotta hope that we pick it up before man united get in to their stride because they will at some point.
you literally can't have such quality and be poor for an entire system.

their ideal starting XI is the 3rd best in the league on paper - even their defence isn't bad when their best are fit.
tbh you've missed your chance to win the title, you're already out of the race. Main thing was to keep in touching distance(aka what City have done) and then trying to win the head to head fixtures.

United well they're screwed. Chelsea will probably park bus and get a draw or 1-0 win, Everton I think will win, Martinez teams tend to defy logic so I'm pointing to an Everton win. Liverpool I think will draw or lose though to United. They have the better first 11 and your play isn't as cohesive as it was last season. Arsenal I think will win, they're due a win in a big game for some time and Spurs will draw. That's a maximum of 5 points out of 18, they will lose to City for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest