The Student Room Group

Should Catalonia become independent from Spain?

Basically:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29390774

What do people think?
Does Catalonia deserve a referendum?
Should they become independent or remain part of Spain?
When I first saw the thread title I thought it read 'California', and thought, wtf is this?!

after reading the article I'm still thinking the same thing...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
A weaker Spain has no real advantage or disadvantage to us so I can't say u care.

I do believe they could easily survive as an independent state though.
Original post by happysmile
When I first saw the thread title I thought it read 'California', and thought, wtf is this?!

Have a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia

and this is Catalonia by the way:

Catalonia has millions protesting independence that's a huge chunk of it's population. Scotland's independence movement was small in comparison.
Home of the CNT :moon:

Yeah. California became independent from Spain a looooong time ago.
What would happen to La Liga?

Would Barcelona have to play in a separate Catalans league?

No more El Clasico?

Or would they apply to play in La Liga? In rugby league the Catalan Dragons play in Super League which is the English competition lol, they are only two wins away from being English champions :eek:
Reply 8
Don't think I know enough about the situation to cast judgement. So far, nowhere has actually described why they want independence.
Reply 9
Original post by CJKay
Don't think I know enough about the situation to cast judgement. So far, nowhere has actually described why they want independence.

Money.

Catalonia only has 2-3 million people, most of whom live in Barcelona so its a pretty wealthy area. Because they don't want to have to give money to the broke parts of Spain they want independence. Additionally part of their old territory is in France.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
Money.

Catalonia only has 2-3 million people, most of whom live in Barcelona so its a pretty wealthy area. Because they don't want to have to give money to the broke parts of Spain they want independence. Additionally part of their old territory is in France.

That seems... fairly selfish. :s-smilie:
Original post by CJKay
That seems... fairly selfish. :s-smilie:

Most independence movements are.
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
Most independence movements are.

Fair point.

Mexifornia has already joined Mexico without a referendum, so yes.
Reply 14
Original post by MagicNMedicine
What would happen to La Liga?

Would Barcelona have to play in a separate Catalans league?

No more El Clasico?

Or would they apply to play in La Liga? In rugby league the Catalan Dragons play in Super League which is the English competition lol, they are only two wins away from being English champions :eek:

Doubt there's enough teams for a Catalan league, is there?

Guessing Barca would play in La Liga, in a similar way to Cardiff/Swansea in the Football League/Premier League.
Original post by Mackay
Doubt there's enough teams for a Catalan league, is there?

Guessing Barca would play in La Liga, in a similar way to Cardiff/Swansea in the Football League/Premier League.

May not want to let them. Celtic and Rangers have been wanting out of Scotland for years.
Reply 16
Original post by Rakas21
May not want to let them. Celtic and Rangers have been wanting out of Scotland for years.

I'd love Celtic to join English football so their fans could realise just how **** they actually are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending