The Student Room Group

Father's educational achievements strongest indicator of childrens' academic success

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by iloveteddy14
That depends if you work at your gcses and a levels and change your mindset the better life would be for you. If the more you believe you are screw up the more you will fail. (Self fulfilling prophecy)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried my best at GCSEs and A-levels. Sometimes the best is not good enough.
If it's the truth, then I guess I will fail in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My academic achievements definitely mirror my Mum more than my Dad. My Dad dropped out of uni after a year and went into work, whilst I've finished my undergraduate degree and just started a masters. My Mum also has both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications and she was the one supporting me in my desire to do a masters rather than my Dad who thought it about time I got a job and earned some money.
Original post by Obiejess
Guess I beat the odds then.

Dad = 1×C grade at CSE the rest Us

Mum= mainly Cs at GCSE, with two Bs and a D

Me = A* star student

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't know they did A**s
Original post by Rinsed
I'll admit I'm a scientist rather than a frequent essayist, but the long sentences, minimalist punctuation, awkward sentence structure and sheer wordiness meant I had to reread it a few times to work out what was being said.

I still have no idea what this means:

"I just acknowledge that more foolish people do unfortunately confuse themselves over what is clearly evident"

It's simply my own way of communicating. I have odd syntax and I don't overuse punctuation. I use the appropriate vocabulary and if the meaning isn't transparent then I'm afraid you're not the most perceptive individual...
You can do it :smile: perhaps try other subjects and see what suits you. I find that I am naturally suited to psychology, English literature and and sociology and I am also naturally suited to health and social care

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Underlined is the word I think you have fundamentally missed the point of. If your intention was to convey your meanings via words, you were not particularly effective.

But this segue has dragged a tad off-topic...

Just because you are too dense to read what I have carefully typed out does not make me a poor communicator. **** off.
Original post by Rinsed
Underlined is the word I think you have fundamentally missed the point of. If your intention was to convey your meanings via words, you were not particularly effective.

But this segue has dragged a tad off-topic...

Here is a translation.

"I have accepted the fact that foolish people tend be confused by those things that are clear"

Basically foolish people are quite dumb.
my dad doesnt have any formal qualifications. he works in construction. i have no aspiration to be in construction

/debunked
Dad didn't even turn up to his GCSEs and I'm hoping to be a Medicinal Chemist... hope I don't end up following his footsteps haha
Children look up to authority and particularly parental figures, the parents are instrumental in teaching their children values. The cycle of poverty exists because, and to put it bluntly but harshly, feckless parents who place little importance on social, physical and mental achievement have a far greater influence than schools. Good parents teach good values, they also have connections which means even if they don't they can still get their feckless children jobs, bad parents pass on bad values which schools have difficulty overriding. It's not always parents fault, sometimes it might be the crappy school as well, but good parents will notice this and remove them and put them in a new one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Edminzodo
My Dad got a U in his Latin O-Level . . . And no one in my family has ever done A-Levels . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you socalised with smart people they probably passed their values onto you, or maybe you were intuitively like that, or maybe your parents had learned from their mistakes and brought you up well, or the school was good...
Original post by DErasmus
Children look up to authority and particularly parental figures, the parents are instrumental in teaching their children values. The cycle of poverty exists because, and to put it bluntly but harshly, feckless parents who place little importance on social, physical and mental achievement have a far greater influence than schools. Good parents teach good values, they also have connections which means even if they don't they can still get their feckless children jobs, bad parents pass on bad values which schools have difficulty overriding. It's not always parents fault, sometimes it might be the crappy school as well, but good parents will notice this and remove them and put them in a new one.

Hmm, feckless might be a bit strong..? Parents might not have the knowledge to be able to tell when a school is bad, or they might not have the resources to be able to move their children out of a bad school. Cultural Capital.

Also the quote in my OP:
"But there is evidence that children and parents from poorer backgrounds develop lower expectations as children grow older they stop believing that their children will be able to achieve high ambitions, or do not know how to help them do so”
How do people who are arguing this is due to culture, parental encouragement, and parental wealth respond to the result of twin studies that show the success of children more strongly correlates to that of the biological parent than the adoptive parents? Is it not more likely to be merely the result of inherited intelligence?
Original post by Observatory
How do people who are arguing this is due to culture, parental encouragement, and parental wealth respond to the result of twin studies that show the success of children more strongly correlates to that of the biological parent than the adoptive parents? Is it not more likely to be merely the result of inherited intelligence?

Do you have a link to the studies...?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Do you have a link to the studies...?

http://www.psy.miami.edu/faculty/dmessinger/c_c/rsrcs/rdgs/temperament/bouchard.04.curdir.pdf here's a review article
Original post by Observatory

Equal numbers of genes come from father and mother (afaik - not a biologist)

if the educational attainment of the father seems to be significantly more important than that of the mother, some further explanation would seem to be needed.

You've linked a study which looks at intelligence - not success.
Original post by Joinedup
Equal numbers of genes come from father and mother (afaik - not a biologist)

if the educational attainment of the father seems to be significantly more important than that of the mother, some further explanation would seem to be needed.

You've linked a study which looks at intelligence - not success.

It doesn't say the mother's education doesn't correlate, just that the father's correlates more:

The report from the Office for National Statistics claims that children are seven and a half times less likely to be successful at school if their father failed to achieve, compared with children with highly educated fathers.

A mother’s education level was important to a lesser degree, with a child approximately three times as likely to have a low educational outcome if their mother had a low level of education.

Why could that be? Principally, women with equal IQs may be on average less educated especially in terms of higher degrees.
My dad's a taxi driver with few O Levels (he's dyslexic and went to school in a time where it went unnoticed) and he hates it. The only similarity in where I'm heading is that I have to work my arse off just like he does.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hmm, feckless might be a bit strong..? Parents might not have the knowledge to be able to tell when a school is bad, or they might not have the resources to be able to move their children out of a bad school. Cultural Capital.

Also the quote in my OP:

I don't like excuses, there are libraries everywhere in Britain, if one is ignorant they should communicate with the teachers (if they will listen of course) or a local Church or something else, they should do something at the very least as parents to help their child get the advantage.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending