The Student Room Group

Re: *** DENTISTRY Graduate Entry Programme 2015!!!! *** Applicants Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BiomedDentist
Hi,

Aberdeen has been known to accept people with a score lower than that! Also I would definitely apply still, there are lots that don't require UKCAT. Are you applying to graduate entry or undergrad?

I know my tutor fairly well! You can now see the reference before it is sent, so as long as they make reference to your predicted grades and stuff then it should be fine. I would set up a specific meeting to discuss what they could write for you :smile:

Oh and yes, I am going into my 4th year after my placement year :smile:

Ok then I may still apply to aberdeen but not to glasgow as i've heard they have a threshold score and anyone above that who meets the academic requirements too, will get an interview and its only the few spaces that are leftover to those with the lower scores :/

I'll be applying for graduate entry to aberdeen but the rest undergrad :smile:
what are you doing for your placement?
Reply 41
I did my english GCSE with AQA. I know I definitely did English lang and English Lit. But on the certificate it states English and English Lit. Is English alone the same as English Lang? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r.turner20
Ok then I may still apply to aberdeen but not to glasgow as i've heard they have a threshold score and anyone above that who meets the academic requirements too, will get an interview and its only the few spaces that are leftover to those with the lower scores :/

I'll be applying for graduate entry to aberdeen but the rest undergrad :smile:
what are you doing for your placement?

For my placement I have spent the past 9 Months in a diabetes research lab researching type 2 diabetes, and I spent the 6 months before that in a neurobiology lab, researching neurofibromatosis type 2, and 2 months previously I was in an immunology lab researching sepsis. I'm hoping this will be fairly relevant experience! :confused:
For my placement I have spent the past 9 Months in a diabetes research lab researching type 2 diabetes, and I spent the 6 months before that in a neurobiology lab, researching neurofibromatosis type 2, and 2 months previously I was in an immunology lab researching sepsis. I'm hoping this will be fairly relevant experience! :confused:

Sounds relevant to me as they are life sciences :smile: Im doing my honours project on type 2 diabetes and inflmmation :smile:

do you know, or does anyone know, if your allowed to re-apply to the same uni if you have been rejected first time round? I know this is the case for glasgow and you can only re-apply if you have been given a conditional forst time and you marginally didnt meet it. :/
Reply 44
hey guy im looking to apply to dentistry for 2015 entry and i was wondering whats is the dfference between studying dentistry and dental surgery
Original post by zerock
hey guy im looking to apply to dentistry for 2015 entry and i was wondering whats is the dfference between studying dentistry and dental surgery

They are the same, universities differ between what they decide to call it. As long as it's 'BDS' then you're all good :smile:
Reply 46
Do you know which schools look mostly at UKCAT?
Reply 47
Hi guys! So stressed. So I did my ukcat today....

UKCAT 680 average
VR: 650
QR:740
AR:610 (grrrr)
DA:720

Band 1 situational judgement.

2:1 in Biomed

3 years part time care home work experience

8 months part time GDP work experience

3 weeks in the maxfax department, acute dental centre, oral medicine, oral surgery at kings college.

2 days at sidcup-oral surgery

1 day at blackheath private hospital-maxfax surgery

1 year working on clinical trials at kcl.

What do you think my chances are for kcl 5 or 4 year course (I'm applying to both) and the QMUL 5 year course?

I'm gutted I didn't get over 700+ in the UKCAT :'(
Reply 48
Anyone? :'(
Original post by EH18
Anyone? :'(

Hi there,
WELL DONE first of all :smile:

I was just wandering, did you work for a couple of years after you graduated biomed?

I'm not too sure on the others, but I know kings usually has a cut off point of 700+ (which they reveal after the UCAS deadline UGH), I got 688 and decided against kings as it could be a waste of an application.
I think you will definitely be okay for the non grad entry (if you are able to fund it). I am only able to apply for the grad entry because of funding, so liverpool, UCLAN and aberdeen.

Good luck, when are you sending off your application?

Your work experience especially is really impressive :smile:
Reply 50
Hi there,
WELL DONE first of all :smile:

I was just wandering, did you work for a couple of years after you graduated biomed?

I'm not too sure on the others, but I know kings usually has a cut off point of 700+ (which they reveal after the UCAS deadline UGH), I got 688 and decided against kings as it could be a waste of an application.
I think you will definitely be okay for the non grad entry (if you are able to fund it). I am only able to apply for the grad entry because of funding, so liverpool, UCLAN and aberdeen.

Good luck, when are you sending off your application?

Your work experience especially is really impressive :smile:

Yeah I have been working for kings as a biomed researcher.

I don't mind doing either the 5 or 4 year I *can* fund it but obviously 4 year would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

I'm taking comfort in knowing that the average ukcat score last year was 680 and people got into kings with 685 and more comfort in knowing that the current average score this year is 634 atm.

How do they publish the cut off mark? Is it on their website or something?

Thanks
Original post by EH18

Yeah I have been working for kings as a biomed researcher.

I don't mind doing either the 5 or 4 year I *can* fund it but obviously 4 year would make my life a hell of a lot easier.

I'm taking comfort in knowing that the average ukcat score last year was 680 and people got into kings with 685 and more comfort in knowing that the current average score this year is 634 atm.

How do they publish the cut off mark? Is it on their website or something?

Thanks

I didn't realise people had got in with 685, this makes me so tempted to go for kings, I'm predicted a 1st in Biomedical sciences, with 16months research experience, A*AAC at A level. 3 weeks GDP, 2 weeks Dental Lab, 2 days oral surgery.
They either release it on the website, or you can call them and they will let you know when the scores a released. The average is set to go down because they made the DA section of the UKCAT harder, so hopefully we MAY be over the threshold, though I have heard of Kings putting their cut off at 730 before!
Reply 52
I didn't realise people had got in with 685, this makes me so tempted to go for kings, I'm predicted a 1st in Biomedical sciences, with 16months research experience, A*AAC at A level. 3 weeks GDP, 2 weeks Dental Lab, 2 days oral surgery.
They either release it on the website, or you can call them and they will let you know when the scores a released. The average is set to go down because they made the DA section of the UKCAT harder, so hopefully we MAY be over the threshold, though I have heard of Kings putting their cut off at 730 before!

730? :eek: that makes me want to cry! im only applying to kings for 4/5 year course and QMUL as i cant leave London. I'm gonna apply in the next few days and just hope for the best. Do you know even they even look at the situational judgement score?
Original post by EH18
730? :eek: that makes me want to cry! im only applying to kings for 4/5 year course and QMUL as i cant leave London. I'm gonna apply in the next few days and just hope for the best. Do you know even they even look at the situational judgement score?

Don't fret though I think that 730 was for the 5 year and your degree should put you ahead of the A level students.
I bloody hope they look at situational judgement, it's probably one of the more significant sections in terms of being a dentist!
Reply 54
Don't fret though I think that 730 was for the 5 year and your degree should put you ahead of the A level students.
I bloody hope they look at situational judgement, it's probably one of the more significant sections in terms of being a dentist!

Yeah i know for a fact they favour graduates for both courses so at least that's a plus. I have so so A-Level grades and GCSE's but I emailed about this and they said they're not an important factor if you're already a graduate and aren't really considered.
Reply 55
Hi,
For anyone thinking of applying to the UCLAN graduate entry course I am a final year student there and happy to answer any questions about it. I've noticed in the thread from last year there was a bit of confusion, especially relating to the DECs and where you will be based in each of the four years. I can give a rundown of what the timetable is like, pros and cons etc. Also feel free to ask me about the application process, my experience is a bit out of date because they've changed the interview style but I did help out with the interviews last year.
Hi guys
I'm an Alevel student and I've recently decided that I want to do dentistry.
I have 4A*s 3As at GCSE
AABBC in AS and predicted A*AA at A2
I did my UKCAT and got 620 average and band 2 situational judgement
Since I wanted to do medicine initially I I don't have any dental work experience.
I'm unsure if I should take a gap year to get experience and apply to undergraduate dentistry or do a biomed degree and apply to graduate entry dentistry?
Basically is the graduate entry route a lot more competitive than undergraduate?
I'm really confused so any advice would be appreciated, many thanks in advance
Reply 57
As far as doing BMS goes I wouldn't unless its going to be helpful. I did BMS at Sheffield which is the only BMS course that does human dissection and is actually really worthwhile however it is a very intense course. Other courses can turn you into a lab rat so its just a case of determining what you really want. Taking a gap year in all honesty is a much better way in my opinion as you grow as an individual and it was also ensures that you know you are making the right choice.

hope its helpful
Reply 58
Original post by Sandomando
Hi guys
I'm an Alevel student and I've recently decided that I want to do dentistry.
I have 4A*s 3As at GCSE
AABBC in AS and predicted A*AA at A2
I did my UKCAT and got 620 average and band 2 situational judgement
Since I wanted to do medicine initially I I don't have any dental work experience.
I'm unsure if I should take a gap year to get experience and apply to undergraduate dentistry or do a biomed degree and apply to graduate entry dentistry?
Basically is the graduate entry route a lot more competitive than undergraduate?
I'm really confused so any advice would be appreciated, many thanks in advance

See below
On your personal statement, are people listing times..like I did 2 weeks here and a week here etc.
or just talking about it as a whole?
I may say at the start that I have done 6 weeks total work experience and then go into details..hope this is enough work experience!

Quick Reply

Latest