The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esmeralda4
My placement officially starts on Monday and, after my great induction on Wednesday, I am very excited!!

I've enjoyed the uni part of the course a lot but have had times of self doubt in workshops, often comparing myself with others who seem to know so much more! It will be good for me to get into placement and the more practical side of things, I think.

The number one thing you shouldn't do on your PGCE is compare yourself to anyone on your course. I heard it all too - "I've had a years experience doing such and such' etc but at the end of the day when you're all thrown into placements everyone starts on an equal footing. Some talk the talk and are the first to start moaning or don't get on with their mentors. Just focus on your journey alone, it will be different to everyone else's.

You learn about teaching by doing it but stepping back and reflecting is also important. Take advantage now as the NQT year is so much more full on and intense IMO.
Original post by Steveluis10
The number one thing you shouldn't do on your PGCE is compare yourself to anyone on your course. I heard it all too - "I've had a years experience doing such and such' etc but at the end of the day when you're all thrown into placements everyone starts on an equal footing. Some talk the talk and are the first to start moaning or don't get on with their mentors. Just focus on your journey alone, it will be different to everyone else's.

You learn about teaching by doing it but stepping back and reflecting is also important. Take advantage now as the NQT year is so much more full on and intense IMO.

Thanks for the input. :-) I have definitely seen the benefits of being in uni and having that I input before going into school, though it has been a bit of a challenge to get used to studying as opposed to working again!

But I know I need to focus on me and not on other people! Hopefully being in school will give me the chance to do that and to work on my own teaching practice.

I hope your NQT year is going okay.
So presentation went well today, and met my school mentor. She was lovely but now I'm even more nervous because I don't want to disappoint her!
Original post by Ratchit99
So presentation went well today, and met my school mentor. She was lovely but now I'm even more nervous because I don't want to disappoint her!

Aw don't worry - I don't think they're expecting us to be fantastic teachers straight away. :-) I know what you mean though, my mentor is so nice as well and it seems like we're going to get on great which will make it weird when she's giving feedback etc.
Lol, yeah. I just felt bad as I come from a systems administrator role in computing so I've had to teach myself to program over the summer ( not required in my job!) and one of her first questions was what programming language I did and I had to be like errr I didn't do programming at my job so have had to self teach over the summer...already kind of feel that that probably disappointed her a bit!
I have one week of uni left until my placement begins. I have had such an overload of info and I have felt soo tired but am really enjoying it. Just got to do well on placement (do not want to disappoint!) and start reading for my masters essay :eek:
Hey everyone, first proper week of uni over with...so much to do and take in! I am enjoying it so far, so it's all good.

We have to write an action plan for our first Review Point, and I am a bit stuck. I have written about increasing subject knowledge, being organised, etc, but my tutor suggested I put something in about the Teacher's Standards, possibly number 8 (professionalism). Since we haven't been in school yet, I am not sure what to do. I was wondering whether I could link something about subject knowledge to this part of the Standards

"take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues"

Or maybe something about developing professional relationships... I am not sure. I don't want to write the wrong thing and look like a wally!

Original post by adastraz
Hey everyone, first proper week of uni over with...so much to do and take in! I am enjoying it so far, so it's all good.

We have to write an action plan for our first Review Point, and I am a bit stuck. I have written about increasing subject knowledge, being organised, etc, but my tutor suggested I put something in about the Teacher's Standards, possibly number 8 (professionalism). Since we haven't been in school yet, I am not sure what to do. I was wondering whether I could link something about subject knowledge to this part of the Standards

"take responsibility for improving teaching through appropriate professional development, responding to advice and feedback from colleagues"

Or maybe something about developing professional relationships... I am not sure. I don't want to write the wrong thing and look like a wally!

There is no wrong answer, so don't panic!

Both your ideas sound good :smile: if you're going in to school soon I'd also suggest maybe something about attending staff meetings, our writing a reflection on your teaching each day. Since they are quite easily measurable.

At the end of the day you're gonna be working on them all in little bits anyway. Don't feel you're not doing well because it is a tough thing to get used to. I've completed my NQT year and am still perfecting my skills in gathering evidence and keeping track of the standards.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completed my first day of orientation on placement today. Love it so much at the moment...I have a big class though, lots of names to learn! Lol.
Completed my first day of orientation on placement today. Love it so much at the moment...I have a big class though, lots of names to learn! Lol.

You'll learn them pretty quick. I learnt about 30 of mine within 2-3 days.
Original post by Peachz
You'll learn them pretty quick. I learnt about 30 of mine within 2-3 days.

That is reassuring!!

30s nothing! Try having nearly 200 to learn! and I don't see them all every day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just started my first placement and I'm feeling more than a bit lost in terms of support from the uni and getting useful info from them, and in the fact that its a very different school to what I'm used to! (challenging inner city school...) Everybody else on my course seems to have got much nicer schools...
Even in school I feel like I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing...
I know I'm probably jumping the gun before I've properly started but has anyone had a similar experience? Please help!!
Original post by redlemon92
I've just started my first placement and I'm feeling more than a bit lost in terms of support from the uni and getting useful info from them, and in the fact that its a very different school to what I'm used to! (challenging inner city school...) Everybody else on my course seems to have got much nicer schools...
Even in school I feel like I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing...
I know I'm probably jumping the gun before I've properly started but has anyone had a similar experience? Please help!!

Don't panic about having a tough school. People will be fully aware that it's a tough school and they will appreciate that when observing, evaluating etc The context is certainly taken in to account. On top of that, it's kind of a 'challenge' thing in that, since you will learn to deal with a tough school you will then have those skills that make you employable and find an 'easier' school easy! Obviously, in reality, each school has it's own challenges and benefits so the difference might not be as stark as you'd think - I think a lot of what makes a school easy/hard/nice/not nice to work at is to do with staff dynamic, attitude and atmosphere which you aren't exposed to quite as much as a student. Plus whether the ethos matches you which can vary a lot even within a given context.

Basically, don't panic, don't worry that you feel a bit lost or overwhelmed. Don't beat yourself up when you have a lesson (or more!) that go completely to pot, and you're thinking AHHH! THIS IS AWFUL! I AM SO BAD! Everyone goes through that, and it doesn't mean you're bad or not cut out for it. You're just learning, and you can't win them all. Even experienced, excellent teachers don't win every lesson. And no-one knows what they're meant to do at this point. Having said all that, ASK! Ask for advice, ask to go and observe other teachers (ask for recommendations e.g. who is good with behaviour) while you can, reflect and ask for advice on the areas you're unsure about. If you feel completely overwhelmed with something chances are when you've seen how it can be done you'll feel a lot better. And remember as you build your relationship with the students and they get to know you things will get a lot easier. Think about what your expectations of them are and try (it's really hard!) to stick to them.

Also try not to worry too much about others' schools. They may seem nice but there will be all sorts of issues that you may or may not hear about, so don't feel like you've got the short straw as such. Your placement may have poor behaviour or attainment but a great support network, for example.

Oh, and take some time out to do something you enjoy! You'll feel much better for it.

xxx
Just found out my school want me in at 8.15 tomorrow morning instead of the 8.30 that they told me. I can get to the school by 8.20ish but 8.15 is impossible.

I can use hotels for the early mornings since there's only one early start a week but because I didn't find out until I got to my uni town I don't have clothes or anything with me for tomorrow. What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Just found out my school want me in at 8.15 tomorrow morning instead of the 8.30 that they told me. I can get to the school by 8.20ish but 8.15 is impossible.

I can use hotels for the early mornings since there's only one early start a week but because I didn't find out until I got to my uni town I don't have clothes or anything with me for tomorrow. What should I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just let them know that you're unable to make it in for that time tomorrow due to X. They should understand, people have lives outside school. Just say you're really sorry and you will be there as soon as you possibly can, and that you can use alternative accommodation next time if you know in advance (although I think it's reasonable for them to try to make arrangements/be flexible, presuming you have some specific reason you can't make that time, rather than expect you to stay in a hotel). Perhaps if it's something specific you're missing offer to catch up in some way after school.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Just let them know that you're unable to make it in for that time tomorrow due to X. They should understand, people have lives outside school. Just say you're really sorry and you will be there as soon as you possibly can, and that you can use alternative accommodation next time if you know in advance (although I think it's reasonable for them to try to make arrangements/be flexible, presuming you have some specific reason you can't make that time, rather than expect you to stay in a hotel). Perhaps if it's something specific you're missing offer to catch up in some way after school.

xxx

Just did exactly what you advised. Had I been warned yesterday I'd have been completely fine. Anyway, there's not much I can do other than try my best in the morning to get there. My train gets in at 8.02 so I have 13 minutes to do a 7 minute journey at rush hour with road works :frown:

I don't mind the hotel one night a week. It's only £30 and it's for an 8am in school class. My train is £15 anyway so it's not like it's a huge extra expense. Quite looking forward to peace and quiet anyway :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had an email back earlier to say it's fine if I'm a little late tomorrow :biggrin:

What do I expect for first day of placement?

And what do pgce students do during untimetabled hours? I assume a bit of extra observation and planning for lessons. I don't want to go in tomorrow with no idea what is happening D:

And when we're starting to teach does the original class teacher stay with us until we find our feet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for your advice I really needed to hear that this morning!! :smile:
I think I was having the "ahhh what am I doing!!" panic last night :/ but I am saving your advice for next time it happens!!
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Had an email back earlier to say it's fine if I'm a little late tomorrow :biggrin:

What do I expect for first day of placement?

And what do pgce students do during untimetabled hours? I assume a bit of extra observation and planning for lessons. I don't want to go in tomorrow with no idea what is happening D:

And when we're starting to teach does the original class teacher stay with us until we find our feet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First day you'll be shown around the school and the placed in your room. You'll probably spend the first two/three weeks observing. Use this to really learn the strategies of the class teacher.

Once you teach I don't think they'll stand by you - you're not a child and are there to learn. But of course, other than during observations, most teachers would be willing to help you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending