The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone ever gone from a B in Physics(76%) to an A or A*??? What did it take to accomplish?

OCR B if that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012
Just thought I'd say thanks to all the people putting up their stories on this, it's certainly made me feel more confident over the future.

Got my AS level's yesterday and got AABC, which I was quite disappointing as I wanted AAAC.

But seems like all is not lost, and you can still get into the top uni's if you put the effort in.

Just a question to people who did do badly then got better grades, how did you persuade your teachers to give you high predicted grades?

EDIT: One year on and I've managed to get A*A*A* a after dropping physics and taking up further maths AS :P Going to be studying Economics at LSE in 3 weeks!!! If you put the effort it anyone can get great grades

This is eerily similar to me! At AS I got AABC and was disappointed because I really wanted to go to a top uni. After I retook a module and dropped the C in Chemistry I ended up with A*A*A in History, Art History and English Lit... I start at Oxford in three weeks!
Original post by colourtheory
This is eerily similar to me! At AS I got AABC and was disappointed because I really wanted to go to a top uni. After I retook a module and dropped the C in Chemistry I ended up with A*A*A in History, Art History and English Lit... I start at Oxford in three weeks!

Haha, wow that is similar! I was the same I was seriously worried I wouldn't get any good offers, but put in the work all year and can't wait for uni in 2 weeks!! :biggrin:
Original post by ImAz
Doing aqa AS maths this year and it's been three years since I've done maths Fml.

Does anyone know any good resources that will help me?

Thanks so much in advanced

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best thing is past papers, examsolutions have a walk through for every past paper thats really helpful, secondly I'd buy an A level maths revision/workbook n do all the questions. Should do the trick :smile:
Original post by 786arslan
Best thing is past papers, examsolutions have a walk through for every past paper thats really helpful, secondly I'd buy an A level maths revision/workbook n do all the questions. Should do the trick :smile:

Is examsolutions just for maths or do they have all past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBlueBiro
Is examsolutions just for maths or do they have all past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got AS's of EDD. Retook them and got AAB.
Just started sixthform and whats the best way to revise for a level maths and biology? Any tips on how to make sure and get an A ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrnazz00923
Just started sixthform and whats the best way to revise for a level maths and biology? Any tips on how to make sure and get an A ?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I wish I had done was just writing out my all my text books back to front from the start of my A-levels. You'd be surprised how much information you can absorb from doing it.
Original post by ThePrimeMover

Congrats! I got AEU im resiting next may. What subjects do u take and what are u planning on doing at uni
Original post by fading_away97
Congrats! I got AEU im resiting next may. What subjects do u take and what are u planning on doing at uni

English lit, Religious studies: Philosophy and Ethics, Physical Education.

Planning to study philosophy at Edinburgh or Newcastle. You?
Reply 532
ABBC >> A*AA (high A's too)

I was pretty chuffed, but I took essay subjects which I think is a natural progression as your style improves through maturity. (That's what I credit, anyhow!) Work is definitely required though, I should add. If you don't get the AS grades you want, it can pose new problems for resits you wish you didn't have to devote time to again, but ultimately it can be done.

Although I do know people who did worse the second year...
Original post by Use Err Name
Did zero work at AS ---> BCC
Worked to probably 70% of my capability ---> ABB (C in AS History became an A at A2)

I'm sure I would've managed AAA had I worked better during both years, but I'm happy that I proved my teachers wrong (who discouraged me from aiming too high with my uni choices) and managed to get into a good uni for Law.

Did you retake any History modules?
Original post by ThePrimeMover

Thats awesome. How did h manGe to revise as and a2 moduled together
Original post by rakib567
Thats awesome. How did h manGe to revise as and a2 moduled together

I didn't do any work outside of class in my first year and then taught my self everything in my second year. Most of my revision was either practice papers or writing out textbooks over and over again.
how many exams did u take all together?

i am planning to do 15 exams :s-smilie:
Has anyone ever gone from an E to an A in ocr chemistry?
Original post by Crystal4
Has anyone ever gone from an E to an A in ocr chemistry?

I'm in the same position. Got an E at AS and I'm hoping to get a C/B overall if I resit some modules and carry on A2 this year. I know of a boy who went from a D to a B if that helps. :smile: Are you doing Chemistry A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBlueBiro
I'm in the same position. Got an E at AS and I'm hoping to get a C/B overall if I resit some modules and carry on A2 this year. I know of a boy who went from a D to a B if that helps. :smile: Are you doing Chemistry A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep chemistry A :smile: I'm really feeling down rn. I was predicted an A and got an E. Hoping to retake unit 2 and get 90%+ in it.

Quick Reply

Latest