The Student Room Group

help needed with sociology personal statement

I am trying to write a personal statement for university, although I am finding it difficult. I am currently studying History, Religious Studies and Health and Social for A-Level. In university I would like to study Sociology combined with either Psychology or Criminology as I think I would find these particular subjects very interesting. I would very much appreciate any help or advice on how to go about writing a good personal statement for sociology or just in general. Also any particular things universities look for in a personal statement and things I should/should not include! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Oh my gosh! i'm currently taking History, Health and social care and Sociology A levels and i'm thinking of applying for sociology at unit too, combined with either social policy, law or international relations. Its so hard to choose, theres soo many thinks you can combine it with. Im starting to write my personal statement too

When you write your personal statement write about 5 paragraphs, remember you've only got 4,000 characters.

In your first paragraph talk about why you want to apply for sociology, state this clearly using straight forward language. Don't use any cliches like " it has always been my dream to study sociology" include why you've become interested in the course- what sparked your interest, what you like about the course.

In your second paragraph, discuss about your work experience that is closely related to your course, what you did during your work experience, talk about any situations that occurred and how you handle them and how you felt during the situation, what did you learn in that situation.

In your third paragraph, discuss your subjects your studying at A level. Include what skills you have developed while studying them, what do you like about studying, what you enjoy about the subjects, why is the subject important to you, what is it about your subjects that you have recently found interesting, what you don't understand yet that you would like to understand more in the future, try and relate your course that you want to study to the courses your currently studying

In your fourth paragraph talk about your interests and activities. what you like to do in your spare time. Find evidence in your interests that your honest, trust worthy, caring, friendly, able to learn quickly, helpful and hard working. Promote your strengths and evidence for them.

In your final paragraph make it short. Three sentences is recommended. You should briefly summarize the evidence that you have the potential to develop into an excellent sociology student.identify three qualities that you possess that will equip you for the course or that can be developed from the course. Discuss what will motivate you to meet the demands of the course, when it becomes tough.

If you want any more help or information then i'm happy to help
There is a whole section of TSR devoted to writing your PS - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_Your_Personal_Statement
I applied for uni last year and my PS was for a sociology with criminology course. I got all 5 of my offers back including one unconditional offer and two unit lowered their entry requirements for me, so I'd say my PS was pretty good. I applied for Nottingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Loughbrough and BCU.

The key is to include prime sociological examples in your PS to show that you know your stuff. This should take up the bulk of your PS. It's best to use sociological names and theories that you are interested in.

Another paragraph mentioned how the A levels that I was doing provided me with certain skills that can be transferred to help me with a sociology degree. Then talk about what you wish to do with your degree in the future. Talk about any part time jobs and what skills you've learnt there. Finally talk about anything that you've done that will make you an individual such as doing DofE, being a head girl at school or winning a trophy. I did also add what i expect to get out of university other than just the degree i.e. joining societies.

Best of luck with your PS… please feel free to ask me for any further tips if needed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sophus18x

DO NOT put your PS on a public forum!
Suggest you delete your message immediately.
Original post by returnmigrant
DO NOT put your PS on a public forum!
Suggest you delete your message immediately.

Note taken…. edited to remove the bulk of the message.
Thanks.
Original post by sophus18x
I applied for uni last year and my PS was for a sociology with criminology course. I got all 5 of my offers back including one unconditional offer and two unit lowered their entry requirements for me, so I'd say my PS was pretty good. I applied for Nottingham, Manchester, Cardiff, Loughbrough and BCU.

The key is to include prime sociological examples in your PS to show that you know your stuff. This should take up the bulk of your PS. It's best to use sociological names and theories that you are interested in.

Another paragraph mentioned how the A levels that I was doing provided me with certain skills that can be transferred to help me with a sociology degree. Then talk about what you wish to do with your degree in the future. Talk about any part time jobs and what skills you've learnt there. Finally talk about anything that you've done that will make you an individual such as doing DofE, being a head girl at school or winning a trophy. I did also add what i expect to get out of university other than just the degree i.e. joining societies.

Best of luck with your PS… please feel free to ask me for any further tips if needed.

So are you now currently studying sociology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending