The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElChapo
Lool I don't even understand this reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

And here I was thinking you were a fun guy that took everything dirty.
In most respects it's anyone in a senior role, regardless of industry etc.
Original post by datpiff
George Osborne (from Wikipedia)
"He has an estimated personal fortune of around £4 million, as the beneficiary of a trust fund that owns a 15 per cent stake in Osborne & Little, the wallpaper-and-fabrics company co-founded by his father, Sir Peter Osborne, Bt.[65][66][67]"

Posted from TSR Mobile

**** George Osborne dopey pleb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 703
Original post by alevelzzz
Thats why I adressed this in the post apart from medicine and dentistry, all other degrees' worth is based on the university its from.
I think a lot of people dont realise how much 50k really is on TSR too. Outside of London, 50k is a SERIOUSLY good salary.

My dad is on 60k but I don't feel wealthy maybe it is because I went to private school and many people there lived in bigger houses than me in Warwickshire. So it is all relative I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 704
Original post by hsv
My dad is on 60k but I don't feel wealthy maybe it is because I went to private school and many people there lived in bigger houses than me in Warwickshire. So it is all relative I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are the Kenyan property deals going?
Reply 705
Original post by Quady
How are the Kenyan property deals going?

They weren't mine they were my cousin's they are going fine :smile: as you can see ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999327.094242.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999426.619158.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999449.462459.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999511.047250.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999549.898911.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999613.780790.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1411999661.266497.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 706
Original post by SHOO
No lol. I work in a pharmacy

It's an independent pharmacy, where the locums earn £50k, and the owner earns £400-500k. He's only opened the pharmacy for a year an a half roughly. It's a business, and if you're competent enough to run a business then you should be rolling in cash. His pharmacy is opposite a SuperDrug pharamcy, and 100 yards away from boots, and two other independent pharmacies that have been open for well over 10 years.

Boots probably pay their locums more, so do tesco, sainsburys etc

Edit: having said that, it's not gonna be the case in 5-10 years. More universities are offering pharmacy as a course now, and the Pharmacist magazine estimates that by 2020, there will be an excess of 20,000 unemployed pharmacists. The government recently closed the loophole which allowed you to open up your own pharmacy (now you can only buy one, or open one if there is a need for a pharmacy).. So not so much now :P also - with the influx of European pharmacists, it's gonna be a lot harder to get a good pay as a locum. Like I said pharmacy is a business and if these independent pharmacies have European pharmacists that are settling for a lower pay, then who would they take?

Do you mean close the loophole to open a 100 hour pharmacy or any pharmacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 707
Chemistry?
Reply 708
Original post by hsv
Do you mean close the loophole to open a 100 hour pharmacy or any pharmacy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, at the time the only loophole that allowed a pharmacy to be open was the 100 hour pharmacies. Then that was eventually closed off too. So as it stands not pharmacy can be open unless there is a need for one.

Things might have changed since, though I doubt they have
Original post by alevelzzz
That was the point of the thread though 'the most likely' I'd argue that mathematics graduates ON THE WHOLE are not likely to earn 50k+
Would you agree?

It depends how you look at it.

If you take all the Mathematics graduates, pick a random one, and ask them what their salary is, perhaps it's more likely to be below £50k than above it. So in that sense you could say they're not likely to earn £50k+.

On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who wants to earn £50k+, and you are deciding what degree to study at university, then I wouldn't say that "choosing mathematics is a poor decision, because you're unlikely to make that kind of money". You're actually quite likely to make £50k+, as long as you're applying for the kinds of jobs that pay that much.

The thing is, even people who want to do lower paid jobs, such as teaching, will still study mathematics degrees. It's useful for a broad spectrum of careers; some lucrative, some less so. The average salary of a mathematics graduate will therefore be quite average. But for someone who is specifically looking for one of the lucrative careers (e.g. in banking and finance), then a mathematics degree is just as likely (or in fact, even more likely) to get you in than any other degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 710
Original post by tazarooni89
It depends how you look at it.

If you take all the Mathematics graduates, pick a random one, and ask them what their salary is, perhaps it's more likely to be below £50k than above it. So in that sense you could say they're not likely to earn £50k+.

On the other hand, if you are the kind of person who wants to earn £50k+, and you are deciding what degree to study at university, then I wouldn't say that "choosing mathematics is a poor decision, because you're unlikely to make that kind of money". You're actually quite likely to make £50k+, as long as you're applying for the kinds of jobs that pay that much.

The thing is, even people who want to do lower paid jobs, such as teaching, will still study mathematics degrees. It's useful for a broad spectrum of careers; some lucrative, some less so. The average salary of a mathematics graduate will therefore be quite average. But for someone who is specifically looking for one of the lucrative careers (e.g. in banking and finance), then a mathematics degree is just as likely (or in fact, even more likely) to get you in than any other degree.

It depends on the person. For someone with CCD at A-level, doing a Maths degree still won't be a great choice to get them to £50k - going into plumbing would be a better bet.
Original post by Quady
It depends on the person. For someone with CCD at A-level, doing a Maths degree still won't be a great choice to get them to £50k - going into plumbing would be a better bet.

True. Although, would they even get into a Maths degree with results like that?

I got onto a maths degree just fine with those results. Albeit, I did get BCE but same UCAS points. Did me just fine from an ex-poly. Worked hard at my course, got a 2.1 and now on a very 'comfortable salary.

Graduated about 3-4 years ago now though, so maybe grade requirements have changed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Engineering/Mathematics/Medics/Dentistry etc.
Reply 714

http://courses.wlv.ac.uk/course.asp?code=MM001H01UVU

200 UCAS points at Wolverhampton
Reply 715
Original post by Pipsico
I got onto a maths degree just fine with those results. Albeit, I did get BCE but same UCAS points. Did me just fine from an ex-poly. Worked hard at my course, got a 2.1 and now on a very 'comfortable salary.

Graduated about 3-4 years ago now though, so maybe grade requirements have changed.

Just out of curiosity what's the appeal in doing a course like maths at university level? Why not something more applied like engineering or physics which may lead into more 'direct' career paths?
Original post by J1mmy
Just out of curiosity what's the appeal in doing a course like maths at university level? Why not something more applied like engineering or physics which may lead into more 'direct' career paths?

One good reason is that applied maths is boring :lol:

Fair enough. I guess for those "lucrative" careers you really need to be studying Maths at a more reputable university then, whose entry requirements can be as high as A*A*A and/or STEP. I'm under the impression that investment banks in particular seem to restrict most of their intake to those few.
Reply 718
Fair enough. I guess for those "lucrative" careers you really need to be studying Maths at a more reputable university then, whose entry requirements can be as high as A*A*A and/or STEP. I'm under the impression that investment banks in particular seem to restrict most of their intake to those few.

Pretty much, at which point its not about the degree you have but the fact you're pretty awesome that is getting you the £50k+
Original post by Quady
Pretty much, at which point its not about the degree you have but the fact you're pretty awesome that is getting you the £50k+

As well as who you know in the banks that can get you in!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest