The Student Room Group

I LOVE planes...(picture)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Alfissti

the horrible smell of aviation fuel being burnt during takeoff.

Epic photo - truly unbelievable. I can't believe you don't like the smell of Jet A1 fuel :redface: - it's beautiful!
Original post by CurlyBen
Additionally some glider clubs I looked at offered a fixed price to solo package, which looked a reasonably good deal (and easier to get your head around! It's something I'd like to do at some stage.

Original post by uberteknik
Swings and roundabouts. If you are a slow learner and need lots of flights, it is a good option. If you want to get there in the shortest time and learn quickly, you may end up with a higher average cost by going down this route. Check with the club beforehand.

There are two clubs near me but both seem quite expensive?

One has a £500 membership fee and the other charges £200 for a one day course?
Original post by Runninground
There are two clubs near me but both seem quite expensive?

One has a £500 membership fee and the other charges £200 for a one day course?

I've not done any gliding so I don't know what the going rate is, but check for cadet/junior memberships if you're eligible. You could also look into the Air Cadets/University Air Squadrons. You won't do private gliding for pennies, but as far as I'm aware it's pretty much the cheapest aviation going.
Reply 63
Do you actually think this will happen? Apparently a new Concorde style business jet...it looks cool, but will it actually materialise into anything?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2769206/Is-new-Concorde-World-s-supersonic-business-jet-cost-60m-fly-1-217mph-travel-London-New-York-just-THREE-hours.html
I absolutely love this little fella. The nose and wing design are to die for.

Reply 65
Original post by rockrunride
I absolutely love this little fella. The nose and wing design are to die for.

As good as the A350XWB?....

Airbus any day!
used to see this little fella going over school quite often when I was growing up...

superguppy.jpg

Reply 67
Original post by Joinedup
used to see this little fella going over school quite often when I was growing up...

Amazing - it's not called the Skylink anymore though :wink:...Airbus have got 5 different "belugas" :smile:
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
Amazing - it's not called the Skylink anymore though :wink:...Airbus have got 5 different "belugas" :smile:

I was petty used to seeing ordinary shaped planes flying about, with the superguppy it seemed like it must have been designed by extraordinarily clever engineers.

I've seen the pictures of the new fleet and thought they're also clever they seem to have less personality imo.
Boeing also fly a beluga-type aircraft too.

Hideous beasts they are. The only reason they fly is that the earth physically repels them.
Reply 70
The A380 is staggeringly big, but surprisingly maneuverable so it seems.

The Atlas...

Reply 71
Original post by Opts
The A380 is staggeringly big, but surprisingly maneuverable so it seems.

The Atlas...

The A400M is a beautiful aircraft. If you ever get the chance to go in one (even to have a look around), do it.
Reply 72
The A400M is a beautiful aircraft. If you ever get the chance to go in one (even to have a look around), do it.

I look forward to hopefully doing so one day, I saw it fly at Farnborough this year and it was immense.
Reply 75
I love a Eurofighter just cos it's LOUD

Original post by LL
I love a Eurofighter just cos it's LOUD

Could have picked one from a better air force though :wink: Haha, joking. It's a great aircraft. Never get tired of it's aesthetics as well as it's incredible manoeuvrability and engineering.
As good as the A350XWB?....

Airbus any day!

Airbuses are generally more elegant than Boeings imo: comparing the A320 to the 737, the latter looks like a shorter, fatter cousin.

But I reckon Boeing have done really well with the 787.

And I love A.net. AWESOME website.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Just thought I'd share this as it's International Civil Aviation Day on Sunday! :smile:

This is soooooo epic! Airbus have just done a photoshoot with 5 A350XWB's in a row....:drool:

Here's the photoshoot!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest