The Student Room Group

Oxford Maths and Computer Science Students and Applicants

Is the Oxford Maths&Comp course less prestigious than a straight maths or straight compsci course?

Why is the successful applications so high? (31.3%)

Will the course go deep into both areas or just the basics of both?

Is the course well organised? Or students are kicked around between the two departments?

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
less prestigious? what?
I wouldn't say it's any less prestigious. Maybe there are just fewer people who are willing to subject themselves to the workload... knowing Oxford it'll be 2/3 maths and 2/3 computer science.
Reply 3
Original post by ImaginaryPerson
Is the Oxford Maths&Comp course less prestigious than a straight maths or straight compsci course?

Is the course well organised? Or students are kicked around between the two departments?

Thank you

The success rate is higher because the standard of applicants is on average higher. As one might expect, the average MAT score for a Maths & Compsci applicant is higher than that for a CompSci student, and I can imagine this additional mathematical compotence also comes through in interviews.
This is not of course to suggest that those stronger at maths should not consider the Computer Science course.

As for the structure of the course, you can find information here: http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computing_courses_at_Oxford
It used to be the case that Maths & Comp students weren't given the opportunity to do a project (perhaps the biggest historical difference between the two courses); however with the introduction of a 4th year, Maths & Comp students can now optionally do so.
Original post by Woostarite
The success rate is higher because the standard of applicants is on average higher. As one might expect, the average MAT score for a Maths & Compsci applicant is higher than that for a CompSci student, and I can imagine this additional mathematical compotence also comes through in interviews.
This is not of course to suggest that those stronger at maths should not consider the Computer Science course.

As for the structure of the course, you can find information here: http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/admissions/ugrad/Computing_courses_at_Oxford
It used to be the case that Maths & Comp students weren't given the opportunity to do a project (perhaps the biggest historical difference between the two courses); however with the introduction of a 4th year, Maths & Comp students can now optionally do so.

Wow, thanks a lot. How do you know that the average MAT score for a Maths & Compsci applicant is higher than that for a CompSci student?
Reply 5
I just do. :smile:
But it's obvious anyway, and is further evidenced by the fact that roughly half of Maths & Comps get Firsts for their degree compared to a third of Comps. So definitely not less prestigious. :smile:
Reply 6

Thank you

Also you should not expect the selection of candidates to be less harsh because the successful applications rate is high, they will expect you to do well both in straight maths and compsci applied maths and computing related thinking / logic, you will be interviewed by maths tutors and compsci tutors individually, which means you would have at least 4 interviews, possibly more, so it's definitely not "easier to get in". I know this because I met quite a few maths&compsci jointists when I was there for the interviews, a few of them had up to 3 interviews per day and they were by no means easy because they got the same questions at their compsci interviews as straight compsci applicants and I assume same questions at their maths interviews as straight maths applicants..

But it's obvious anyway, and is further evidenced by the fact that roughly half of Maths & Comps get Firsts for their degree compared to a third of Comps. So definitely not less prestigious. :smile:

:biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Overall, does a Maths&Compsci student have more work than a straight maths or straight compsci student?
Reply 8
Overall, does a Maths&Compsci student have more work than a straight maths or straight compsci student?

It's all roughly the same.
I'm pretty sure my (maths) tutors have scheduled my tutorials with clashes with CS lectures *every term* that I've been here....
Wow, thanks a lot. How do you know that the average MAT score for a Maths & Compsci applicant is higher than that for a CompSci student?

Woostarite is quite correct about all of the above. The difference wasn't as big in the last admissions round as it has been in some previous years, but the average is indeed slightly higher.
Reply 11
Hi,
Does anyone know how the interviews are conducted for the joint schools degree in Maths and Computer Science? Is it separate interviews for the two subjects or are they combined?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wesleyw123
Hi,
Does anyone know how the interviews are conducted for the joint schools degree in Maths and Computer Science? Is it separate interviews for the two subjects or are they combined?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

We talk about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/interviews.html
The short answer is that it could be either. It will depend on what is logistically possible.
I am going to apply mathematics and computer science in oxford. But couldnt find detail about it. Apparently there are 2 interviews, one is about maths and the other one is about CompSci. i also heard there will be 2 colleges(the college i choose and a random one) interview me,too. So which interview is from which college, or i will have 2 interviews from both colleges?
Original post by Mr.mrsmiss
I am going to apply mathematics and computer science in oxford. But couldnt find detail about it. Apparently there are 2 interviews, one is about maths and the other one is about CompSci. i also heard there will be 2 colleges(the college i choose and a random one) interview me,too. So which interview is from which college, or i will have 2 interviews from both colleges?

Things vary a bit from college to college. However, most colleges give two interviews to their first-choice candidates: one in Maths and one in Computer Science. You will then get an interview at a second college; it's possible that the second college will give you a second interview (especially if they're thinking of making you an offer). It's also possible to be called to an interview at another college: that tends to happen to candidates who seem to be worthy of a place, but where there might not be space at either of the first two colleges.

HTH

Gavin
I had five interviews! Two at the college I chose, two at the extra college I was assigned, and one extra. I ended up getting in to the one I was assigned to where I had two interviews.
Reply 16
Does anyone have stats (# of students, gender, nationality, etc) for the intake of 2014?
Original post by solveit
Does anyone have stats (# of students, gender, nationality, etc) for the intake of 2014?

You can find the official report on the data here.
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/publicReport2013.pdf

Something like 26% of offers were to women, across the three undergrad CS degrees. Roughly half of the offers this year went to overseas candidates.

It's worth remembering that the data does change quite a bit from year to year.
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
You can find the official report on the data here.
http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/publicReport2013.pdf

Something like 26% of offers were to women, across the three undergrad CS degrees. Roughly half of the offers this year went to overseas candidates.

It's worth remembering that the data does change quite a bit from year to year.

Does every Faculty put out a report like this?
Original post by usclassics
Does every Faculty put out a report like this?

I'm afraid I have no idea. If there's a specific degree you're interested in it might be worth asking the faculty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending