The Student Room Group

SQA Results' Day Discussion Thread - Tuesday 5 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know the percentage of people who got 4 As and a B in previous years?
Reply 2501
Original post by ashleymacleod
I might have to change some of my courses and I was thinking of crashing higher geography. Could anybody tell me what it's like?

I would say it's a great subject to crash, easy as essentially you don't 'crash'. This is because Higher is a copy of SG/N5, just harder, so anything you didn't learn before, you will learn as you go along. It's also a good subject to crash as universities really value the subject because of the wide set of skills you pick up. It's a great subject to take as it doesn't just stick to Geography, you also do some Modern Studies, History, Sociology, Statistics, Geology, Chemistry, Biology (Bio + Geo cross a lot in the Biosphere topic), so I would say it's a fantastic course to crash :smile:
Reply 2502
Original post by Lova97
I'd say it's one of the best subjects to crash. You don't really need to know anything from previous standard grades/national 5, and if you do, it is included in the higher course so you don't have to go and learn it yourself. The good thing is that Higher geography is basically a slightly more complicated version of Standard Grade georaphy, so you didn't miss out on much. Geography is also very highly valued by unis as it teaches many skills and has a very broad subject matter, and doesn't just stick with Geography, it goes into Modern Studies, History, Geology, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology, so it's a great, broad and relatively easy crash higher to do! :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by OxFox
I got BBBBC this year and I wanted to study law but the entry requirements want AABB. should I abandon law?

Two Bs are considered to be equivalent to one A. So in essence you achieved AAC, but your uni wants AABB, therefore, I would advise you to resit one of your B grades and your C grade subjects. Or to be even more safe, you should resit two of your B grade subjects and your C grade subject.
This thread is really quiet !
Is Business Management at Advanced Higher considered as a "Social Science" ? It's what the university recommends that you study in S6.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find out today if I go from AAAAB to AAAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MartinLaird
I find out today if I go from AAAAB to AAAAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really happy, I got my appeal, now have AAAAA. My history paper was tallied up incorrectly by a huge 10 marks :biggrin:
Really happy, I got my appeal, now have AAAAA. My history paper was tallied up incorrectly by a huge 10 marks :biggrin:

Holy balls that's so lucky! I wish I got my German remarked but ah well it was a B3

Posted from TSR Mobile

wtf... how is that even possible?
Original post by JPiddy
This thread is really quiet !
Is Business Management at Advanced Higher considered as a "Social Science" ? It's what the university recommends that you study in S6.
Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't consider it a social science, but only the university know the answer to that! E-mail them, it's really not a bother!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Holy balls that's so lucky! I wish I got my German remarked but ah well it was a B3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol thanks! I was very lucky too, the school explained that I already had AAAAA and because my paper wasn't totalled up correctly. So if I hadn't appealed I would have had AAAAA and no one would have ever have known. It's quite frightening really.

How'd you get on in your own exams?
Original post by Pennyarcade
wtf... how is that even possible?

Markers on the green mate lol
Lol thanks! I was very lucky too, the school explained that I already had AAAAA and because my paper wasn't totalled up correctly. So if I hadn't appealed I would have had AAAAA and no one would have ever have known. It's quite frightening really.

How'd you get on in your own exams?

That's amazing! And so lucky! I got AAAAB so was happy! Gonna find out what % I was off an A in Higher German tomorrow but I was a B3 so I will be close :frown:((( but overall happy as Larrrrry!

What u applying for at uni and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just received unconditional from Glasgow, studying physics!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CaitlinDy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already :s

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's amazing well done! Where else have you applied for?
Original post by greenladybird
That's amazing well done! Where else have you applied for?

Thank you you're so lovely. I've gone for St Andrews, Edinburgh and Cambridge. Are you applying this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you you're so lovely. I've gone for St Andrews, Edinburgh and Cambridge. Are you applying this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooo, well good luck with your other unis, is your first choice Cambridge if you get in?
Yeah I am, for biomedical engineering! :smile: The school sent off my application yesterday but no sign of any change on track yet...
Original post by greenladybird
Ooo, well good luck with your other unis, is your first choice Cambridge if you get in?
Yeah I am, for biomedical engineering! :smile: The school sent off my application yesterday but no sign of any change on track yet...

My first choice is actually St Andrews, I love it so much!
Where are you applying and best of luck to you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2519
My first choice is actually St Andrews, I love it so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Andrews pretty nice for physics so far, just started there this year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending