The Student Room Group

Did Ford force Tata Motors to buy Jaguar along with Land Rover?

Did Ford force Tata Motors to buy Jaguar along with Land Rover, when Tata wanted to buy Land Rover? Kind if saying something like if you want Land Rover you have to buy Jaguar along with it? Since Jaguar is still in losses and Land Rover makes all the profit for Jaguar Land Rover so I was wondering why Tata bought Jaguar if they only wanted Land Rover if they weren't forced to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They were already a single company prior to takeover and it wasn't feasible to separate it. Thus it was sold as a single entity.
Reply 2
Ford didn't really want to sell. It was one of the few parts of their business actually making any money.
Reply 3
Original post by Alfissti
They were already a single company prior to takeover and it wasn't feasible to separate it. Thus it was sold as a single entity.

A single company within Premier Automotive Group (what remained of it) you mean sorry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by JC.
Ford didn't really want to sell. It was one of the few parts of their business actually making any money.

Jaguar made money under ford? Today jaguar doesn't make money. You mean Land Rover was one if the few parts if their business making money right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by hsv
Jaguar made money under ford? Today jaguar doesn't make money. You mean Land Rover was one if the few parts if their business making money right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Jaguars pre tax profit for 2013/14 was £1,083m.
If that's "not making money" then I'd like to "not make money" too... :rolleyes:
Original post by JC.
If that's "not making money" then I'd like to "not make money" too... :rolleyes:

That's the profits of the combined company. The Jag division is losing money and the Land Rover division is very profitable.
Reply 7
Original post by JC.

Yeah that's what I meant similar to what penguin said Jaguar Land Rover combined made that profit. Land Rover were the ones making the profit in JLR.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by hsv
Yeah that's what I meant similar to what penguin said Jaguar Land Rover combined made that profit. Land Rover were the ones making the profit in JLR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the number of XF's and F types rolling out the door, I doubt that. I'm sure you'll provide figures to prove me wrong, though...
Original post by JC.
Given the number of XF's and F types rolling out the door, I doubt that. I'm sure you'll provide figures to prove me wrong, though...

The profits are made on the much more expensive full sized Land Rovers in China and other emerging markets. Similarly BMW makes much more money with X5s than it does with the 5 series.

This is info from the FT, it's paywalled and I don't have time to search it now.
Reply 10
Original post by JC.

Hmm maybe your right. How many cars did jaguar make last year anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by hsv
Hmm maybe your right. How many cars did jaguar make last year anyone know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

425,006 combined with LR apparently.
76,668 Jaguars.
348,338 Land Rover.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JC.
425,006 combined with LR apparently.
76,668 Jaguars.
348,338 Land Rover.

Do those figures include those that were CKD assembled elsewhere or only those that are made at their own facilities in England?
Reply 13
Original post by Alfissti
Do those figures include those that were CKD assembled elsewhere or only those that are made at their own facilities in England?

No idea to be honest?
Have a look on the Jaguar website - that's where I got the figures.

It did say global sales so you'd presume it included everything to make themselves look as good as possible?

Quick Reply

Latest