The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parent_help
Sorry - I don't think you will pass the cut.

I'd bet that 64 points (full academics and 750 + UKCAT) will safely get an interview.
- getting 63 (725+) is worth a punt too - but risky IMO

Consider that last year, over 900 got full academics with a UKCAT of 700+ (some serious scores too).
This year, I think there will be many thousands of applicants with full academics overall. The 2014 UKCAT scores are trending slightly lower (but not significantly) and the interview list is being culled to 500 (?need to check this?)

I think Leceister is going to attract a huge portion of re-applicants this year - especially if they get a score greater than 63 - simply because it isn't a PS heavy choice, and so a safe choice for an interview (if you have the score).
Other factors are at play here too - Leeds are inflating the UKCAT market (as they have switched to BMAT) This means more UKCAT applicants looking for a place.
In fact I think every UKCAT uni cutoff is going to rise again this year (smaller pool of schools).

The number of applicants that will be invited to interview will not change (I've emailed the admissions team).

Last year, the cutoff was 58/60. This score could have been obtained as follows:
30/30 academic score (assuming 100% academics) + 28/30 UKCAT score (28 = 700 average score).

Using this year's scoring system, this is the equivalent to 62/68:
34/34 academic score (assuming 100% academics) + 28/34 UKCAT score (28 = 700 average score).

UKCAT scores are evidently lower this year than last year so the cutoff is likely to be lower than 62/68. In addition to this, AS level grades have a greater influence this year when calculating the academic score (unlike last year, AS grades cannot make up for low GCSEs, and vice versa, as they are treated separately this year). This would further increase the likelihood of the cutoff score to be lower than 62/68.

Although the pool of schools is lower this year, it seems that non-admissions test unis are becoming more popular as UKCAT scores are somewhat significantly lower than the last year's, inflated UKCAT scores (*cough* DA average was 770 last year *cough*). I doubt that UKCAT unis will receive more attention this year.

The poll in the 2015 entry thread shows that the majority of applicants have a score of 62 or lower. As you may know, the average TSR user (that is applying for medicine) is more intelligent than the average medicine applicant. Due to this, the cutoff is likely, once again, to be lower than 62.
Original post by ForestCat
Whilst I don't think it will be as low as some people think I don't think it will be as high as you're suggesting. The scoring system has changed this year and its actually a lot harder to score full marks for academic.

A reapplicant only needs the following for full academics
6x GCSE = 4xA* + 2xA
3x A2 = 3xA

-or-
6x GCSE = 2xA* + 2xA + 1xB
3 X A2 = 3xA*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mehhhh
The poll in the 2015 entry thread shows that the majority of applicants have a score of 62 or lower. As you may know, the average TSR user (that is applying for medicine) is more intelligent than the average medicine applicant. Due to this, the cutoff is likely, once again, to be lower than 62.

Just saw the latest UKCAT report.
11,000 have taken the UKCAT test so far....
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20150914.pdf

Last year, the top 40% in UKCAT got over 2820 (705)
This year, it's 2680 (670)

am editing my previous post accordingly
Original post by Parent_help
A reapplicant only needs the following for full academics
6x GCSE = 4xA* + 2xA
3x A2 = 3xA
Hi
-or-
6x GCSE = 2xA* + 2xA + 1xB
3 X A2 = 3xA*

Ok so not so hard but I do stand by my point that no one can really say what kind of scores will be needed this year.
All things considered, it it a safe application with full academics and 28.5 UKCAT (so 62.5)?
Original post by sammann123
All things considered, it it a safe application with full academics and 28.5 UKCAT (so 62.5)?

yup
Original post by sammann123

That's a great score.
I'm a graduate. I have 33/34 for academics and 2690 on the ukcat. (Why couldn't I get those extra 10 points?!? Ahh)

Do you think a score of 59.5 is going to be realistically safe/high enough? I love Leicester!
(edited 9 years ago)
58/59+ seems to be a good score
I score 59.5 for a graduate. But unfortunately I do not think I can afford it. Any ideas on funding options? My academics score 100% but my ukcat isn't exactly competitive so I don't think I would get an interview on the graduate entry course with 20/25 :frown:
Original post by CharlottexBelle
I score 59.5 for a graduate. But unfortunately I do not think I can afford it. Any ideas on funding options? My academics score 100% but my ukcat isn't exactly competitive so I don't think I would get an interview on the graduate entry course with 20/25 :frown:

Don't forget they look at ps and reference for a101 so the cut off might not be as clear cut. Which means you may stand a better chance with 20 than 59.5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know if 660 ukcat is sufficient for the graduate entry ?
ok so i just calculated my scor, is it worth applying with a 19/25 score for the graduate entry lol?
Don't forget they look at ps and reference for a101 so the cut off might not be as clear cut. Which means you may stand a better chance with 20 than 59.5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi ForestCat

I can see you are 1st year grad at leicester. Hope it is going well?

I am a A101 applicant with a score of 18/25. I know people with 20/25 have been called for december interviews. Do you anything about what the cut off was last year, or where they are this year with scoring?

Desperate for an interview here as my GAMSAT didnt go well , so ill be getting 3 rejections. I love leicester as well and the med school looks great!

Hope you can help :smile:
Original post by HCAssistant93
Hi ForestCat

I can see you are 1st year grad at leicester. Hope it is going well?

I am a A101 applicant with a score of 18/25. I know people with 20/25 have been called for december interviews. Do you anything about what the cut off was last year, or where they are this year with scoring?

Desperate for an interview here as my GAMSAT didnt go well , so ill be getting 3 rejections. I love leicester as well and the med school looks great!

Hope you can help :smile:

Its going ok but its hard going.

I'm sorry but I don't actually know what the cut off was last year. They never released it and I've never asked my course mates what they got. But they take ps and reference into account for grads so it may not be a definite cut off.

Fingers crossed for you
Its going ok but its hard going.

I'm sorry but I don't actually know what the cut off was last year. They never released it and I've never asked my course mates what they got. But they take ps and reference into account for grads so it may not be a definite cut off.

Fingers crossed for you

Thank you! Hope you're enjoying it. It's honestly my dream.

I hope I hear soon. Do you know when they send the bulk of interviews out or is just in drive and drabs?
Original post by HCAssistant93
Thank you! Hope you're enjoying it. It's honestly my dream.

I hope I hear soon. Do you know when they send the bulk of interviews out or is just in drive and drabs?

I can't remember to be honest. But I didn't hear until start of December so it's still early days yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't remember to be honest. But I didn't hear until start of December so it's still early days yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your help and good luck with the course
Hey does anyone here know if being interviewed earlier means that theres a higher chance of getting an offer??
Im asking because i have an interview in jan but i may not be able to make it and if i reschedule til february thats when the last batch of interviews are. i dont wanna reschedule to feb if theres a lower chance of getting an offer compared to jan
Please can someone give me advice urgently as i have to confirm :smile:
Original post by beansontoast92
Hey does anyone here know if being interviewed earlier means that theres a higher chance of getting an offer??

Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending