The Student Room Group

Anyone applying for English Language/English Language and Linguistics for 2015?

Is anyone thinking about applying for English Language/English Language and Linguistics for 2015? Where are you thinking of applying? I'd love to know! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sophiejaz
Is anyone thinking about applying for English Language/English Language and Linguistics for 2015? Where are you thinking of applying? I'd love to know! :smile:

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Hey, I will be applying for either english language and linguistics or linguistics in 2015. I was going to apply for pure english language but discovered that a very limited number of universities offer it. :s-smilie:
But now I'm super confused because apparently some linguistics degrees are actually like english language and linguistics degrees but they are called linguistics instead?? :confused:
Anyway at the moment the two universities I will definitely be applying for are queen Mary's london and kings college london for English language and linguistics BA.
What about you?
Hey! I'm applying for linguistics at Edinburgh and UCL, English language and linguistics at KCL and Linguistics with Spanish at York :smile: hopefully all goes well!
Reply 5
Original post by husnafshah
Hey, I will be applying for either english language and linguistics or linguistics in 2015. I was going to apply for pure english language but discovered that a very limited number of universities offer it. :s-smilie:
But now I'm super confused because apparently some linguistics degrees are actually like english language and linguistics degrees but they are called linguistics instead?? :confused:
Anyway at the moment the two universities I will definitely be applying for are queen Mary's london and kings college london for English language and linguistics BA.
What about you?

Good choices! Yeah, it's all a bit confusing :P but I'd love to go to York to do English Language and Linguistics and also Newcastle is one of my choices. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by abigailbayram
Hey! I'm applying for linguistics at Edinburgh and UCL, English language and linguistics at KCL and Linguistics with Spanish at York :smile: hopefully all goes well!

I want to apply to York as well! I want to do English Language and Linguistics. :smile: It's quite hard to get in, but I guess you've got to aim high :P But I've been to the university for an open evening and it's honestly so nice! There's swans on the campus and everything haha
I want to apply to York as well! I want to do English Language and Linguistics. :smile: It's quite hard to get in, but I guess you've got to aim high :P But I've been to the university for an open evening and it's honestly so nice! There's swans on the campus and everything haha

Oh it sounds lovely! I missed the open day but I'll just have to arrange to go another time and I reckon I'll be sold on the swans lol. Yep, definitely aiming high here!
Reply 8
I'm applying for joint language and literature, but I didn't get the best grade these being B in literature, C in Language, E in history and an E in philosophy and ethics... I'm aiming to get my grades up to ABD for next year which I think is realistic considering does anyone have any universities that would be best to apply to with my grads? I want to apply to English, either Language or a joint literature and language degree depending on the course and modules at the uni... Please suggest if you can!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i realise i'm probably a bit late to the party but hopefully not too late.

i'm applying for english language and linguistics 2015, i've been to loads of open days which could be helpful i guess so i'll summarise them. ignore the terrible spelling and punctuation, i am legitimately an english lit student, i'm just lazy and have a broken netbook.

So, i have done open days at:
Leeds (applying)
Mancs Met (not applying)
Newcastle (applying but for english language as they don't do dual honours)
Sheffield (applying)
York (not applying)
Huddersfield (applying as security)
University of the West of England (applying as security)

I'm worried about my PS though because I haven't done English Language A Level which is quite rare in applicants apparently so I feel a bit disadvantaged! I'm predicted AAB in EngLit, History and German (and a B in General Studies but that only counts for my security choices!)
Hi, sorry to divert but just a quick question... when are you guys submitting your ucas applications? I was encouraged to do so before the half term holidays. Also is it true that the earlier you apply, the more likely you are to be accepted?
Reply 11
Hi, sorry to divert but just a quick question... when are you guys submitting your ucas applications? I was encouraged to do so before the half term holidays. Also is it true that the earlier you apply, the more likely you are to be accepted?

Hiya! I'm stressing about this to! Apparently the sooner you submit everything the better chance you have, but the deadline isn't until jan 15th, so I won't be worrying don't rush if your not finished!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for English Language and Communication and English Language and Linguistics :smile:
Original post by lydiaamre
I've applied for English Language and Communication and English Language and Linguistics :smile:

Oh cool! Where did you apply?
Reply 14
Hey guys, I have applied for 3 English Language and Linguistics courses and 2 English Language courses. I have had offers from (200 UCAS) Uni of Bedford (RANKED 14TH IN UK FOR LINGUISTICS) (200 UCAS)Uni of Wolverhampton (back up for linguistics) and (280) liverpool for (English language)

waiting for York St Johns (linguistics) and Salford (eng lang)

If you need advise or help feel free to reply
Reply 15
No, sorry guys. Yes the deadline is jan 15th, but you want to send your form ASAP because I sent mine off 1 week ago and received 3 offers in 3 days... earlier the better.

DON'T DELAY IT EACH DAY YOU GUYS BECAUSE THE MORE DAYS YOU DELAY IT THE MORE CHANCE SOMEONE ELSE WILL GET AN OFFFER AND YOU HAVE MISSED OUT BECAUSE YOU WERE LIKE 'OH DW I HAVE UNTIL JAN 15TH' - come on guys fix up and be pro-active!

Original post by Clo.3
Hiya! I'm stressing about this to! Apparently the sooner you submit everything the better chance you have, but the deadline isn't until jan 15th, so I won't be worrying don't rush if your not finished!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey,

you will get offers I am positive.

I am applying for the course too and have got 3 in 3 days... just wondering what board is your German? Mine is EDEXCEL and I am struggling with german atm.
Original post by skaterandhater
i realise i'm probably a bit late to the party but hopefully not too late.

i'm applying for english language and linguistics 2015, i've been to loads of open days which could be helpful i guess so i'll summarise them. ignore the terrible spelling and punctuation, i am legitimately an english lit student, i'm just lazy and have a broken netbook.

So, i have done open days at:
Leeds (applying)
Mancs Met (not applying)
Newcastle (applying but for english language as they don't do dual honours)
Sheffield (applying)
York (not applying)
Huddersfield (applying as security)
University of the West of England (applying as security)

I'm worried about my PS though because I haven't done English Language A Level which is quite rare in applicants apparently so I feel a bit disadvantaged! I'm predicted AAB in EngLit, History and German (and a B in General Studies but that only counts for my security choices!)
Reply 17
Uni of Bedford is ranked 14th in UK for Eng Lang and Linguistics.. that is one of my options
Good choices! Yeah, it's all a bit confusing :P but I'd love to go to York to do English Language and Linguistics and also Newcastle is one of my choices. :smile:
Oh cool! Where did you apply?

I applied to Hertfordshire, Leeds, Kings College, Edge Hill and Sussex. :smile:
Hiya, I'm applying for eng Lang at Birmingham, Brighton, Newcastle and Cardiff and Sheffield! But Newcastle are taking ages to reply, has anyone else got offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending