The Student Room Group

Taking A level French without GCSE!

Hi, iv just started sixth form as level. Im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Religious Studies! I have always had a passion for French, and i deeply regret not taking it at GCSE (chose business studies as i wanted to own a restaurant at the time...) So i learnt today that the French teacher is going to do a level French in the next academic year (didnt used to do it at my school) I know A level French is hard, but what i want to do is drop RS at the end of year 12 and pick up French. So i thought if i start studying french now(a whole year) i should have a round about GCSE knowledge! So what i want to ask is do you think my plan is viable, and i so/not, advise is welcome! Thanks! (Id like to do a biology/zoology degree with a language preferably by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Do you have any outside knowledge of French/is it ab initio AS french?
I had to drop AS French after about three weeks because I was struggling so much, and I had a B at GCSE. So personally, I would not recommend it unless you've got a french speaking background or it's an ab initio course.
Reply 3
Original post by Adam-alasia98
Hi, iv just started sixth form as level. Im doing Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Religious Studies! I have always had a passion for French, and i deeply regret not taking it at GCSE (chose business studies as i wanted to own a restaurant at the time...) So i learnt today that the French teacher is going to do a level French in the next academic year (didnt used to do it at my school) I know A level French is hard, but what i want to do is drop RS at the end of year 12 and pick up French. So i thought if i start studying french now(a whole year) i should have a round about GCSE knowledge! So what i want to ask is do you think my plan is viable, and i so/not, advise is welcome! Thanks! (Id like to do a biology/zoology degree with a language preferably by the way)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing A level French!! AQA?
Original post by loperdoper
Do you have any outside knowledge of French/is it ab initio AS french?
I had to drop AS French after about three weeks because I was struggling so much, and I had a B at GCSE. So personally, I would not recommend it unless you've got a french speaking background or it's an ab initio course.

Well i plan on getting a tutor to if i do it make sure my french is decent to an extent.
What is an ab initio course by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BCMFM16
I'm doing A level French!! AQA?

Wjec i think, whats it like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Wjec i think, whats it like?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's literally a vocal test every lesson which is every day. We are told to write vocab whenever we learn a new word. I have two teachers, one teaches the last unit and the other teaches the first. We have a french exchange next year where we get to stay with a french family before our big speaking assessment after Easter in Montpellier . We also have weekly sessions with a french native speak, in line with our French lessons, to improve our spoken French. But I like AQA the exam seems fair and the writing allows a chance for you to show off your artistic flair for the language which I enjoy.
Original post by BCMFM16
There's literally a vocal test every lesson which is every day. We are told to write vocab whenever we learn a new word. I have two teachers, one teaches the last unit and the other teaches the first. We have a french exchange next year where we get to stay with a french family before our big speaking assessment after Easter in Montpellier . We also have weekly sessions with a french native speak, in line with our French lessons, to improve our spoken French. But I like AQA the exam seems fair and the writing allows a chance for you to show off your artistic flair for the language which I enjoy.

So really its a lot of orals and volcab! Okay thanks, that french sounds intresting! Make sure you go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Don't do A-level French without doing it for GCSE you will struggle, I got A* at GCSE, highest in the year. I really enjoyed French but the only reason I didn't do for A-level was because it was very difficult and tough to get top marks in.
Original post by Wagwan72
Don't do A-level French without doing it for GCSE you will struggle, I got A* at GCSE, highest in the year. I really enjoyed French but the only reason I didn't do for A-level was because it was very difficult and tough to get top marks in.

Ah okay, im also think about my other subjects too, i dont them to suffer either, such a hard decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Regardless of GCSE, don't do French, it's like a vacumn that consumes all of your time and you STILL get a **** grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't recommend it without GCSE.
So really its a lot of orals and volcab! Okay thanks, that french sounds intresting! Make sure you go!
I definitely will!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not that bad so far. I got an A* at GCSE and I'm loving it. I don't mind the hard work since the subject to me is more enjoyment than work.
Original post by Wagwan72
Original post by Obiejess
Regardless of GCSE, don't do French, it's like a vacumn that consumes all of your time and you STILL get a **** grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure its not that bad. At my school the highest lowest someone got at AS was a C.
Original post by BCMFM16
I'm sure its not that bad. At my school the highest lowest someone got at AS was a C.

Highest someone got for us was a C. She was predicted an A. I got a D. Lowest was a U.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Highest someone got for us was a C. She was predicted an A. I got a D. Lowest was a U.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you taking it for A2? I saw the grade boundaries for an A* for AQA in the speaking and it was 104/110!!
Original post by BCMFM16
Are you taking it for A2? I saw the grade boundaries for an A* for AQA in the speaking and it was 104/110!!

Ahahahha. No way. Jumped of that sinking ship ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone for the advise! Il ask my teacher and head of year whats vest for me and decide! You've all been very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahahahha. No way. Jumped of that sinking ship ASAP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I intend to go down with this ship! I'm taking French all the way! ( Not in a rude sense).
Original post by BCMFM16
Well I intend to go down with this ship! I'm taking French all the way! ( Not in a rude sense).

I did do it in Y10 tbf, so could have done better had I done it properly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest