The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Weirdly excited to see What If.
Reply 9281
Just had to post this here:

[video="youtube;u5KQQWlIgGc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KQQWlIgGc[/video]

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
I'm so addicted to Mubi right now - anyone else use it? It's pretty fun every day waking up to a new film that you would otherwise find difficult to locate. The Bird With the Crystal Plummage, Memories of Underdevelopment and Grey Gardens are on there right now which are marvellous films.

I really loved the Robert Redford side but the hitting each other bit... Nyah. It felt like a lot of the themes touched upon were just that, and needed much more development.

I'm on Mubi but I haven't used it extensively. :holmes:
Original post by ahq

I'm on Mubi but I haven't used it extensively. :holmes:

It's like a never ending treadmill trying to keep up with it all :rolleyes: - i'm going to have to pull a late one tonight to catch City of pirates before it goes off.
Reply 9283
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
It's like a never ending treadmill trying to keep up with it all :rolleyes: - i'm going to have to pull a late one tonight to catch City of pirates before it goes off.

I think this is the case with films and art in general! :p:
Original post by ahq
I think this is the case with films and art in general! :p:

Ugh tell me about it. Did just manage to catch City of Pirates though and alas there was no pirates or frankly, cities but instead a women who meets a child who killed his family, who she gets engaged to but is also sort of her current fiance who they kill and possibly the man with multiple personalities of his whole family whom she marries the daughter persona. It is also possible that she may be the boy. It also contains a scene where she gets food from her trunk that is mostly cabbage, raddishes, chicken legs and this guy's head which emits a red light when read poetry too aaaand one where she starts sleep walking very briskly down the road and into the ocean (where a sleep walking male figure appears out of the water) to which her father starts cheering saying she's finally going to kill herself before she abruptly turns the other way. Oh and the policemen are cultists who worship and murder for the boy.

French films, eh? There's probably a point to it all somewhere but it's pretty impenetrable and requires knowledge of literary and historic references that nearly nobody will get. It's a lot of stuff thrown together without it but it works as a dark take on Peter Pan and the weird sexual elements to a lot of children's tales and it's clearly the director having a good time. Iconography is pretty lush and the whole thing feels like a massive identity crisis.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay

That's not weird, it's a good film :smile:
There's a few films about to/have come out that I am thinking of seeing:

Gone Girl
Dracula Untold
Walk Among the Tombstones
A Man Most Wanted

Anyone seen the oens out and would reccomend them?
Original post by Mackay

I saw it purely for Daniel Radcliffe.
It was quite sweet in a predictable, hipster way.
Original post by samstown
I saw it purely for Daniel Radcliffe.
It was quite sweet in a predictable, hipster way.

Certainly seems that way. Quite 500 Days of Summer-ish. Hopefully I'll see it soon.
Original post by SirMasterKey
There's a few films about to/have come out that I am thinking of seeing:

Gone Girl
Dracula Untold
Walk Among the Tombstones
A Man Most Wanted

Anyone seen the oens out and would reccomend them?

Dracula Untold and Gone Girl haven't been released yet.

I've seen A Walk Among the Tombstones. A fairly average thriller to be honest, worth seeing if you like Liam Neeson, that's the only reason I saw it.
Original post by ukip72
Dracula Untold and Gone Girl haven't been released yet.

I've seen A Walk Among the Tombstones. A fairly average thriller to be honest, worth seeing if you like Liam Neeson, that's the only reason I saw it.

Cool. I do like a bit of Neeson.

I did say about to/have so I was really asking for the two that were out. :wink:
Original post by SirMasterKey
Cool. I do like a bit of Neeson.

I did say about to/have so I was really asking for the two that were out. :wink:

Fair enough :smile:

I've already booked my ticket for Gone Girl, can't wait, should be one of the best films of the year. Saw the trailer for Dracula Untold yesterday and I don't think I'll bother with it TBH. I'll get round to seeing A Most Wanted Man eventually.
Definitely going to see Salome and The Riot Club at some point this week.
Original post by Mackay
Definitely going to see Salome and The Riot Club at some point this week.

I'm thinking I might go and see The Riot Club for a second time, it was very good.
Original post by ukip72
I'm thinking I might go and see The Riot Club for a second time, it was very good.

Glad to hear it! I'll make sure I give it a watch.
Been a while since I posted here! Giving The Riot Club a miss, the trailer really put my back up, all incredibly unlikable characters.

Been reviewing a bunch of new releases over on my website. :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.com/
join
Original post by aja89
Been a while since I posted here! Giving The Riot Club a miss, the trailer really put my back up, all incredibly unlikable characters.

Been reviewing a bunch of new releases over on my website. :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.com/

Nice!
Going to try and watch Silence of the Lambs and Flightplan soon. Old movies but still never seen them.
[video="youtube;JuU0M2xBasc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuU0M2xBasc[/video]

Looks far better than Taken 2. Not too fond of the TAK3N title however from the trailer alone it appears to follow most trilogies where the third title redeems the second title.

Fair play to Neeson though, 62 and still one bad ass action actor who will no doubt end up in a future Expendables movie.

On another note, i am looking forward to 'The Judge' with RDJ.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest