The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine

Do i realistically stand a chance of applying for medicine, which unis would you recommend I apply to?
GCSEs 7A*s 3As
AS Levels 1A (full maths A Level) 3Bs
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 632.5 Band 1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by technogenius
Do i realistically stand a chance of applying for medicine, which unis would you recommend I apply to?
GCSEs 7A*s 3As
AS Levels 1A (full maths A Level) 3Bs
Predicted AAA
UKCAT: 632.5 Band 1

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Thanks but that's where it ends though
With your predicted grades you should be fine. Look for universities that don't judge AS results. I'd just say be careful when choosing universities that weight the UKCAT highly as that's the only thing I can see that would hold you back.
Original post by tiredofloving
With your predicted grades you should be fine. Look for universities that don't judge AS results. I'd just say be careful when choosing universities that weight the UKCAT highly as that's the only thing I can see that would hold you back.

I was hoping to apply to Barts, which they say they have a 2400 cut-off, however I'm not sure how competitive that puts me, with 2530.
otherwise i'm thinking bristol/cardiff/liverpool
GCSEs are good, predictions are good; what about volunteering/ experience etc?

Avoid ones that use AS grades and UKCAT.
I was hoping to apply to Barts, which they say they have a 2400 cut-off, however I'm not sure how competitive that puts me, with 2530.
otherwise i'm thinking bristol/cardiff/liverpool

I'd say definitely apply to bristol, academics are only weighted 20% and they do not use the UKCAT in their process. Liverpool also don't use the UKCAT and I believe their selection process would be good for you.

If you really want to apply to barts then go for it! You might as well if you really want to go there as you'll still have other choices to fall back on. As long as you're willing to take the risk that you may not be as likely to get an interview. Depends on their selection process.
I'd say definitely apply to bristol, academics are only weighted 20% and they do not use the UKCAT in their process. Liverpool also don't use the UKCAT and I believe their selection process would be good for you.

If you really want to apply to barts then go for it! You might as well if you really want to go there as you'll still have other choices to fall back on. As long as you're willing to take the risk that you may not be as likely to get an interview. Depends on their selection process.

Thanks. Any other uni's you think I stand a chance of getting an interview/offer?

I'm considering Barts because it's cut-off is 2400. Do you know whether my A in Maths, which was completed as an A Level is counted towards my UCAS tariff points?
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks. Any other uni's you think I stand a chance of getting an interview/offer?

I'm considering Barts because it's cut-off is 2400. Do you know whether my A in Maths, which was completed as an A Level is counted towards my UCAS tariff points?

I'd say Manchester especially if you fit into their criteria for widening participation as this would reduce their UKCAT cutoff score for you.

Lancaster has the same selection procedure as Liverpool so I'm not sure as it's worth applying to both as apparently your qualification is credited as if it came from Liverpool...

Plymouth because they seem to be quite lenient on their academics which would play to your strengths. However for UKCAT score cut-offs I think you should check out this website: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/How%20the%20UKCAT%20is%20used%202013.pdf
I'd say Manchester especially if you fit into their criteria for widening participation as this would reduce their UKCAT cutoff score for you.

Lancaster has the same selection procedure as Liverpool so I'm not sure as it's worth applying to both as apparently your qualification is credited as if it came from Liverpool...

Plymouth because they seem to be quite lenient on their academics which would play to your strengths. However for UKCAT score cut-offs I think you should check out this website: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/How%20the%20UKCAT%20is%20used%202013.pdf

Manchester's UKCAT cutoff is still quite high. Do you know what my UCAS tariff will be then? will that compensate for my low UKCAT?
Manchester's UKCAT cutoff is still quite high. Do you know what my UCAS tariff will be then? will that compensate for my low UKCAT?

Try this website: http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/explore-your-options/entry-requirements/tariff-tables#alevels

Do I work it out with predictions? Then it comes to 480, with AS and A Level it comes to 270.

Is 480 strong?
Do I work it out with predictions? Then it comes to 480, with AS and A Level it comes to 270.

Is 480 strong?

480 is very strong! Considering that on the which university website it states that for most universities the minimum is 360. :smile:
480 is very strong! Considering that on the which university website it states that for most universities the minimum is 360. :smile:

Thank you for your help. Will all uni's accept the maths A Level taken a year early or do some want it taken in same year as all the other A2's?
Thank you for your help. Will all uni's accept the maths A Level taken a year early or do some want it taken in same year as all the other A2's?

Unfortunately because it is a year early the majority of universities won't accept the early a level unless it was done within the two year period of your a levels. You're welcome, my pleasure :smile:
Unfortunately because it is a year early the majority of universities won't accept the early a level unless it was done within the two year period of your a levels. You're welcome, my pleasure :smile:

Barts or Cardiff

My UCAS tariff is 480, UKCAT 632.5. (Barts)
With Cardiff I scored 25/27, last year they said they only took 26-27/27/

Which do you recommend I apply too?
Barts or Cardiff

My UCAS tariff is 480, UKCAT 632.5. (Barts)
With Cardiff I scored 25/27, last year they said they only took 26-27/27/

Which do you recommend I apply too?

Sorry, I have only just seen this. Which did you apply to in the end?
Sorry, I have only just seen this. Which did you apply to in the end?

Cardiff. Along with bristol/liv/notts
Sounds like a good mix. I think you could get interviews then hopefully offers from all of them, especially liverpool! Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending