The Student Room Group

Chances of Optometry Bsc with a foundation year?

I am in year 12 and becoming an optometrist is a career I'm really interested in.

So I have been researching ways of doing optom at uni without doing 2 sciences at a level and I found that Manchester and Cardiff do a foundation year before the 3 year course - I am wondering if anyone knows the criteria for being made an offer: is it very rare/difficult to be made an offer and does it depend on being really academic?

I am currently doing English Literature, Latin, Biology and Classical Civilastion for a levels. I have just got 7 A*s and 4 As in GCSEs. I have work experience (specsavers and assistant in foreign language summer school) and extra curriculars too (mentoring, CCF, writing for school magazines, sport, ballet, violin etc)

Do you think I would be a decent applicant for the course or if anyone has applied/thinking of applying what were your grades/subjects you offered to them?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am unable to change my subjects as we are 5 weeks into tern and at my school they recommend to take Maths if you do physics due to the maths content :/
You obviously were unable to read it all:
"The entry requirements for optometry courses are quite high but they do differ from course to course and institution to institution. There are some courses with a foundation year which means if you have good grades on non-scientific subjects you may still be able to undertake the course."
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/options/optometry/
(same website/page)
Reply 3
Original post by STUDYREVISE
You obviously were unable to read it all:
"The entry requirements for optometry courses are quite high but they do differ from course to course and institution to institution. There are some courses with a foundation year which means if you have good grades on non-scientific subjects you may still be able to undertake the course."
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/courses/options/optometry/
(same website/page)

Literally what I was about to say 😋
Reply 4
Well I already knew about the standard entry requirements which is why my post is solely about foundation years...but thanks for your input anyway haha
Reply 5
Thanks, I hope soso 😉👍👍
Reply 6
Original post by saskiabw
I am in year 12 and becoming an optometrist is a career I'm really interested in.

So I have been researching ways of doing optom at uni without doing 2 sciences at a level and I found that Manchester and Cardiff do a foundation year before the 3 year course - I am wondering if anyone knows the criteria for being made an offer: is it very rare/difficult to be made an offer and does it depend on being really academic?

I am currently doing English Literature, Latin, Biology and Classical Civilastion for a levels. I have just got 7 A*s and 4 As in GCSEs. I have work experience (specsavers and assistant in foreign language summer school) and extra curriculars too (mentoring, CCF, writing for school magazines, sport, ballet, violin etc)

Do you think I would be a decent applicant for the course or if anyone has applied/thinking of applying what were your grades/subjects you offered to them?

Can't you persuade your school to let you change your subject by putting forward a strong case- trust me, missing 5 weeks of AS is nothing!
Reply 7
Original post by 2en1
Can't you persuade your school to let you change your subject by putting forward a strong case- trust me, missing 5 weeks of AS is nothing!

Even if they agreed I would have to change two subjects (so I could do maths and physics) and Im unbelievably bad at maths so would probably get a D at a level
Reply 8
Even if they agreed I would have to change two subjects (so I could do maths and physics) and Im unbelievably bad at maths so would probably get a D at a level

Ah I see, well good luck with the foundation year then:smile:
Reply 9

Do you know which I=universities will offer you the foundation year?
Reply 11
Do you know which I=universities will offer you the foundation year?

The only unis offering the course are Manchester and Cardiff but Im unsure I'll get either of them, which is why I posted
The only unis offering the course are Manchester and Cardiff but Im unsure I'll get either of them, which is why I posted

Manchester:
This course is appropriate if you have inappropriate entry qualifications, for example, if you have studied arts, languages or social sciences at A ‘Level. We would usually only consider applicants with ABB at A ‘Level or equivalent.
We do not recommend this course for applicants who have been out of study for a significant period; we would suggest that an Access to HE Diploma would be more appropriate.
Reply 13
Manchester:
This course is appropriate if you have inappropriate entry qualifications, for example, if you have studied arts, languages or social sciences at A ‘Level. We would usually only consider applicants with ABB at A ‘Level or equivalent.
We do not recommend this course for applicants who have been out of study for a significant period; we would suggest that an Access to HE Diploma would be more appropriate.

So provided I get good predictions i have a chance?
So provided I get good predictions i have a chance?

Pretty much. They ask for minimum ABB, but obviously, if you get higher, e.g, AAB, you have the better chance of getting in.
Reply 15
Pretty much. They ask for minimum ABB, but obviously, if you get higher, e.g, AAB, you have the better chance of getting in.

Thanks 😄
:smile:

http://www.ls.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/foundationyear/
I know this thread is quite old but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Biosciences with a Foundation Year is the same as the Life Sciences with a Foundation Year previously carried at Manchester University. If so, does this foundation year also allow one to progress onto an optometry course.
Reply 19
Original post by Sweetheart<3
I know this thread is quite old but I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Biosciences with a Foundation Year is the same as the Life Sciences with a Foundation Year previously carried at Manchester University. If so, does this foundation year also allow one to progress onto an optometry course.

What did you end up doing?

Latest