The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
I've just gone for the really general one. I'd love to do the Social Research one but I don't have the background for it sadly.

it helps to have done a masters for that because really you need to have done something where you learn research methods
Original post by MagicNMedicine
it helps to have done a masters for that because really you need to have done something where you learn research methods

Yeah I figured, I'm doing a Masters now although sadly minus any research methods as I couldn't find the course I wanted with research methods. I'll be very happy though if I get through the Generalist one though!
Reply 282
Original post by chandlerellroy
Ugh, my status has updated to say that I haven't passed after the tests. It must be the competency questionnaire, as the other two tests were really simple.

From my google searches I found previous studentroom topics where people said that they sucessfully emailed them to ask for second attempts on the competency questionnaires. I'll try that and post here again if I get a response.

You can contact Parity and ask for your percentiles - that way you'll know what to work on should you choose to apply again.
Reply 283
Original post by Slowbro93
I'm ever so inclined of withdrawing my stats application and just stick with my OR. I have had a look at the Stats scheme and tbh it doesn't excite me like OR does :erm:

I've applied to both, but have you seen how long the stats application form is compared to OR? Not sure how I'm going to be able to write about my knowledge of each of the statistical methods and where I've used them in 250? words...
Original post by Vrstar
I've applied to both, but have you seen how long the stats application form is compared to OR? Not sure how I'm going to be able to write about my knowledge of each of the statistical methods and where I've used them in 250? words...

Yeah that's what's putting me off slightly, with OR I actually find the role interesting, stats no so much.

Any news?
Reply 285
Yeah that's what's putting me off slightly, with OR I actually find the role interesting, stats no so much.

Any news?

See stats was my first choice so I'll still complete the application form, although I only have until Tuesday to do it now and I'm yet to start...

Yeah I submitted the OR application form over a week ago but no news yet, and I've got until the 7th to submit the stats one. What about you?
Original post by Vrstar
See stats was my first choice so I'll still complete the application form, although I only have until Tuesday to do it now and I'm yet to start...

Yeah I submitted the OR application form over a week ago but no news yet, and I've got until the 7th to submit the stats one. What about you?

Yeah Stats was my second choice, it's more trying to find examples of where I used those techniques (like an index, never used that since GCSE statistics! :tongue: )

Nothing for OR yet, really hope we're both gonna get good news though :hugs:
Got to commercial application stage! Swweet!
Reply 288
I'm looking at applying next year for the European stream. I hear it's extremely difficult though. Is the application stage somewhat enjoyable? I've hated all other application processes.
I'm ever so inclined of withdrawing my stats application and just stick with my OR. I have had a look at the Stats scheme and tbh it doesn't excite me like OR does :erm:

Given that your sig says you got a 1st class degree in Maths, you may be thinking along the right lines here.

The OR scheme will involve you doing modelling and using advanced techniques.

The stats scheme is not likely to involve doing much of this, the emphasis will be more about managing the data, making sure it is gathered correctly and reported correctly. They will use SPSS/STATA/SAS and so on to do dataset analysis but a lot of the time it will be reporting fairly simple crosstab type queries. The main responsibilities are more likely to be managing a survey, eg managing the contract with the company that carries out the survey, making sure the data is QA'd, writing the statistical release, making sure that every line of text that is used to describe the findings is 100% accurate and can be backed up by the data and not misleading or open to misinterpretation.

If somebody comes along and says OK can we use this data to build a model to do some scenario forecasting, where you want someone to do regression and so on, then that's much more likely to sit in the realm of an OR.

So if basically you are more the maths geek type that really wants to use your maths then OR will be more interesting.

However, if you did end up getting on the stats stream it's not the end of the world as when analytical jobs come up they often specify they are open to all analysts, but the specific description might say for a particular role must have a strong background in economics or must have a strong background in mathematical techniques and modelling.

So there would be nothing to stop you later jumping over to an OR type position given your maths background.
I found the FSAC and Final Selection Board (DaT) quite enjoyable. Although the FSAC was pretty exhausting. You just have to get into the spirit of things.
Reply 291
Original post by Gales
I'm looking at applying next year for the European stream. I hear it's extremely difficult though. Is the application stage somewhat enjoyable? I've hated all other application processes.

Enjoyable, that's possibly not the word I would choose..

It really depends on what you're like. For me, I study languages and have a very mathematical brain, so I've quite enjoyed the test process so far. Ask again after e-tray and it may be a different story! Other people have been really stressed about the verbal and non-verbal assessments, it really depends on your strengths.

There's lots of advice about how to prepare, but one thing I haven't seen is this: take care with the schedule of each stage.

From completion of each stage, you have one week to complete the next. (I think this is upped to two at e-tray but not sure!) Some stages at more important than others, ie. practice tests vs. real tests, and some are more time consuming, such as the application form.

So my advice is to try and line up the important stages around your other commitments so that you don't have try and squish a three hour test into a seventy-hour working week or something like that, or attempt the online tests whilst on holiday in a dodgy internet café!

I really wish I had thought of this at the beginning, as I would have prolonged submitting the initial application.

Sorry this is a bit wordy, and good luck if you decide to apply next year!
Reply 292
Original post by kat.lev
Enjoyable, that's possibly not the word I would choose..

It really depends on what you're like. For me, I study languages and have a very mathematical brain, so I've quite enjoyed the test process so far. Ask again after e-tray and it may be a different story! Other people have been really stressed about the verbal and non-verbal assessments, it really depends on your strengths.

There's lots of advice about how to prepare, but one thing I haven't seen is this: take care with the schedule of each stage.

From completion of each stage, you have one week to complete the next. (I think this is upped to two at e-tray but not sure!) Some stages at more important than others, ie. practice tests vs. real tests, and some are more time consuming, such as the application form.

So my advice is to try and line up the important stages around your other commitments so that you don't have try and squish a three hour test into a seventy-hour working week or something like that, or attempt the online tests whilst on holiday in a dodgy internet café!

I really wish I had thought of this at the beginning, as I would have prolonged submitting the initial application.

Sorry this is a bit wordy, and good luck if you decide to apply next year!

Thank you! I also read that people who study French (or German) are offered places before everyone else on the European stream. Do you know if this is true?

I was really optimistic and excited about the European stream but after seeing that only 1.1% were recommended for appointment last year, I feel rather disheartened :cool:
Reply 293
Original post by Gales
Thank you! I also read that people who study French (or German) are offered places before everyone else on the European stream. Do you know if this is true?

I was really optimistic and excited about the European stream but after seeing that only 1.1% were recommended for appointment last year, I feel rather disheartened :cool:

They do say they offer first priority to people who have French or German to degree level, but to be honest I wouldn't worry - the official information for EFS makes clear the majority of European Fast Streamers do not have a language degree.

The only thing you need is an A-Level in either French or German at A-C grade. Your degree can be in anything!
Reply 294
Original post by madl24903
Got to commercial application stage! Swweet!

Well done!! Just wondering, does the etray come before the application?
Reply 295
Original post by Xan015
They do say they offer first priority to people who have French or German to degree level, but to be honest I wouldn't worry - the official information for EFS makes clear the majority of European Fast Streamers do not have a language degree.

The only thing you need is an A-Level in either French or German at A-C grade. Your degree can be in anything!

I have a degree in French, that's my point. I'm wondering if that will put me at a big advantage :tongue:
Reply 296
Original post by Gales

I remember reading last year that many people had got through to the FSB (Final Selection Board, meaning they passed all tests and Assessment Centre day) without the languages, and were just hoping to get a place. But when I filled in my application and chose the European stream (alongside Generalist) it specifically asked me if I had an A-Level or equivalent in French or German. I think those with a higher level get priority, I have C2 French and Spanish (and a degree from a French university.. well I will do!) and B1 German so I'm hoping that will put me on the top of the pile should I get that far :smile:

"Places will be offered first to those with French or German to degree level, but the majority of European fast streamers don’t have a language degree."
- from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-europe/civil-service-european-fast-stream

Guessing you study languages too judging by your location?!
Reply 297
Original post by kat.lev
I remember reading last year that many people had got through to the FSB (Final Selection Board, meaning they passed all tests and Assessment Centre day) without the languages, and were just hoping to get a place. But when I filled in my application and chose the European stream (alongside Generalist) it specifically asked me if I had an A-Level or equivalent in French or German. I think those with a higher level get priority, I have C2 French and Spanish (and a degree from a French university.. well I will do!) and B1 German so I'm hoping that will put me on the top of the pile should I get that far :smile:

"Places will be offered first to those with French or German to degree level, but the majority of European fast streamers don’t have a language degree."
- from https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/civil-service-fast-stream-europe/civil-service-european-fast-stream

Guessing you study languages too judging by your location?!

Yeah, currently doing my year abroad. Where in France are you studying?
Reply 298
Original post by Gales
Yeah, currently doing my year abroad. Where in France are you studying?

I study Iberian Studies at Paris IV, in my final year, sort of.. I ran out of money after the 5th semester, came home to earn and save and will re-start the 6th and final semester in January, so I'm actually working at the moment, rather than studying. (The life of a foreign student with no loan!)

How about you?

Like every other person on the planet, Diplomatic Service is my dream and I'm applying to that within the GFS. But the EFS also has its own Diplomatic stream so I've applied to that too - there seem to be a lot of options for people with our academic background :smile:
Reply 299
Original post by kat.lev
I study Iberian Studies at Paris IV, in my final year, sort of.. I ran out of money after the 5th semester, came home to earn and save and will re-start the 6th and final semester in January, so I'm actually working at the moment, rather than studying. (The life of a foreign student with no loan!)

How about you?

Like every other person on the planet, Diplomatic Service is my dream and I'm applying to that within the GFS. But the EFS also has its own Diplomatic stream so I've applied to that too - there seem to be a lot of options for people with our academic background :smile:

I do French and Spanish at UCL, so studying in Lyon now then onto Valencia in February. The idea of working in the European strand excites me so much, I did some work experience with my MEP at the EU parliament and I absolutely loved it. The only thing scaring me is the small admission rate :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending