The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Well there is something to be said for consistency as well. We might not have hit all the highs that Liverpool have hit, but we've certainly avoided many of their lows(and Utd, Chelsea and City's actually). Winning isnt the entire story in any case. Holland never won the WC, but they're pretty much always at the top table of world football :wink:

Lol.
Rodgers confirms he talked to Roy and Sturridge won't be in the England squad.
Original post by deborarosa
question: Ive seen this debate floating around twitter..Is Rodgers a better manager than Wenger?

:biggrin:

No.
Original post by Fizzel
While its realistic, I think it has been all along, I don't think its 'easily' so to speak. Of all your rivals, your problems are the easiest to fix I think.

Score more goals and concede less? :colondollar:

Kidnap Suarez back? :colone:

I'm not that fussed about progressing far into the CL so long as we can get CL football again next year (don't care if that is by finishing top 4, winning the CL or EL frankly).

I think the only saving grace is that Arsenal, Man Utd, Spurs and Everton have also started pretty poorly in the premier league too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29438699

Daniel Sturridge will not be in England squad, says Rodgers

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers does not expect striker Daniel Sturridge to be named in Thursday's England squad to face San Marino and Estonia.

Sturridge, 25, is out with a thigh strain suffered on England duty and has missed Liverpool's last six games.

Rodgers said: "I spoke to Roy Hodgson and the agreement will be that he will not meet up with England.

"He won't be in the squad and I'm sure Roy will confirm that in his press conference on Thursday."

Rodgers criticised England's handling of the player when he suffered the injury in training before the European Championship qualifier against Switzerland last month.

And while there is a chance that he could return to play a part in the Premier League game with West Brom at the weekend, Rodgers insists he will not be able to play in qualifiers with San Marino on Thursday, 9 October and three days later against Estonia.

"It's the best for both parties really," he said after the 1-0 defeat to Basel. "We're not sure if Daniel will be fit for the weekend.

"In the next few weeks he has to get up to speed and at the end of the international break he will hopefully be ready to play for us, which is the priority."
Original post by Zürich
Well there is something to be said for consistency as well. We might not have hit all the highs that Liverpool have hit, but we've certainly avoided many of their lows(and Utd, Chelsea and City's actually). Winning isnt the entire story in any case. Holland never won the WC, but they're pretty much always at the top table of world football :wink:

Maybe in the premier league - ie. finishing top 4 always since that enables you to keep getting the best players but in Europe? Unless you always get to the SFs, I don't think the consistency is worth much.

I'm sure any Arsenal fan would take coming 4th in the group for a few years if it meant the one CL win.
Europa League would be catastrophic.
Original post by Zerforax
Maybe in the premier league - ie. finishing top 4 always since that enables you to keep getting the best players but in Europe? Unless you always get to the SFs, I don't think the consistency is worth much.

I'm sure any Arsenal fan would take coming 4th in the group for a few years if it meant the one CL win.

true.. I would take that..
I have faith in Rodgers - I really do. But, I can't help feeling he has massively underestimated the step up that playing Champions League football is. You need a well-balanced, integrated squad who are comfortable with each other. Man United, under van Gaal, are in a similar position to ourselves last season and I fully expect them to capitalise. They'll get top four this season - and it'll be at our expense.

We've signed too many players - and I'm not convinced they are the right ones. Balotelli plays for himself and doesn't fit into our work ethic, he's too lethargic and slow on the ball to truly create something in the same way that Sterling, Sturridge and Coutinho do. I'll reserve judgement on Can and Markovic, but Lambert's signing was nonsensical. It reeked of a Dalglish move at the time - and he's proving me right. Why is he at the club? Our strikeforce is toothless - Sterling was knackered/woeful last night, and we only had Lambert on the bench. We should have gone for Remy and Eto'o over Balotelli and Lambert. Loaning out Origi could prove a grave error.

Manquillo/Moreno are the two best signings we've made in the summer - and they've shone because our defence has been under so much pressure. There's no leadership at the back, the set piece is our achilles heel time and time again. Lovren was clearly roped in to boost communication with Sakho/Mignolet as they all speak the same languages, but Sakho has let his temperament get the better of him and Mignolet looks increasingly fragile. Every game we've played this season our defence has looked like a bottom half club's.

Last season, our attack got our defence out of jail. Now, there's nothing to mask our frailties. Gerrard is constantly pinpointed in his deeper role, which means that Henderson is burdened with having to do two roles. That isn't good for a) his development and b) the club. Gerrard isn't bulletproof - there's nobody better at striking a dead ball or stepping up in a big situation in the country in my opinion, but nobody is un-droppable.

We haven't won a game without the help of penalties for over a month now.
Original post by Mackay
Europa League would be catastrophic.

Get's Champions for the first time in 5 years then ends up in Europa League :lol:.

Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

No.

Lol, a bit off Topic but how did you make your posts go to 0 :confused:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well I'm obviously bias but I think you're comparing a legend of football management(multiple titles, ability to build top teams on no budget, ability to develop young players) to someone who has looked at times like a top manager.

Personally I think Rodgers got overhyped last season because of Luis Suarez's ability more than his. Give Wenger Suarez last season then I fully expect him to win the title tbh.

Having said that Wenger is an old man now, someone stuck in his ways whilst football has moved on. He's like a piece of beautiful French film noir from the 1960s. You can still appreciate it even if you know that those days are over. And then, just every now and again, they still manage to inspire in a way that a 2014 blockbuster could not, even if just for a beautiful, fleeting moment.

**** man, brought tears to my eyes... it's like poetry mate, poetry!
Original post by sr90
Selling your only player might have something to do with that.

fixed
Fair play to Shelvey getting into the England squad.
Lallana, Sterling, Henderson and Lambert in the England squad. No Sturridge as expected.

Suso out for 2 months. Another injury to add to the list.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spanish-midfielder-suso-set-miss-7869438
Original post by mr tim
Lallana, Sterling, Henderson and Lambert in the England squad. No Sturridge as expected.

Suso out for 2 months. Another injury to add to the list.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spanish-midfielder-suso-set-miss-7869438

I hope for your sake, that stirling is firmly on the bench..

Lad needs a rest.
Reply 3455
Original post by fallen_acorns
I hope for your sake, that stirling is firmly on the bench..

Lad needs a rest.

Having said that though, I don't think it'll be the case. He's like one of the few players that actually turn up for England, why wouldn't Hodgson use him.

If Liverpool get more injuries they're effd..
Original post by Zerforax

Of course, but its much harder to win the CL if youre not consistently in it. The teams that do win it are in it every year basically. I dont expect to win it with Wenger because he's just not pragmatic enough for top level knockout football but in 3 years time the new manager will inherit a team with vast amounts of CL experience and that's priceless really. Look at how City have struggled without that! And for all the mocking of Arsenal always obsessing about a top4 finish, when we go out into the transfer market we are seen as a 'CL club' in a way that Liverpool for instance just arent really. It brings a certain prestige.
Original post by SHOO
Having said that though, I don't think it'll be the case. He's like one of the few players that actually turn up for England, why wouldn't Hodgson use him.

If Liverpool get more injuries they're effd..

They're playing San Marino though. Let's be honest, England Schoolboys could beat them comfortably.
Original post by Zürich
Well I'm obviously bias but I think you're comparing a legend of football management(multiple titles, ability to build top teams on no budget, ability to develop young players) to someone who has looked at times like a top manager.

Personally I think Rodgers got overhyped last season because of Luis Suarez's ability more than his. Give Wenger Suarez last season then I fully expect him to win the title tbh.

Having said that Wenger is an old man now, someone stuck in his ways whilst football has moved on. He's like a piece of beautiful French film noir from the 1960s. You can still appreciate it even if you know that those days are over. And then, just every now and again, they still manage to inspire in a way that a 2014 blockbuster could not, even if just for a beautiful, fleeting moment.

perfect post tbh- tearing up rn. I dont think Rodgers is a better manager than Wenger. Hes a good manger but hasn't reached the level Wenger has or had yet...dont think he ever will tbh. Also lets see how he deals with a season when hes just sold his best player and is in the CL. Something Wenger has managed to do consistently
Why is this even a debate? Ofc Wenger is a better manager at this moment in time, Rodgers is relatively young as like many of the players and so has a lot of learning to do.
I reckon he'll be great and maybe one day will be better than Wenger but at this moment in time it's not even a question.

Quick Reply

Latest