The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Honestly Arsene can have any of Newcastle players at the snap of his fingers. I can think of a couple of reason he isn't good enough for Newcastle let alone Arsenal. Tiote was never good enough for Arsenal, he still isn't. Case closed. I'd rather hold out for better quality elsewhere tbh.
I think Draxler is an interesting case tbh. Wenger's interest was legit but is there space for him now that we have Alexis? I can see Rues going to Madrid and Draxler to Bayern

Ewwwww, No no and no. We can do better than that.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Has Brendan won anything yet? Don't remember so, but maybe before Liverpool?

If the answer is no, then until. He does, he can't really be compared to wenger, even in his older and now more regressed form

But the comparison is Brendan now vs Wenger now, Wenger's doubles etc from 15 years ago are irrelevant. So in the relevant period Wenger has a single FA Cup over Rodgers, but then Brendan did far better in the league.

I'd take Rodgers over Wenger.
Original post by Juan Mata
But the comparison is Brendan now vs Wenger now, Wenger's doubles etc from 15 years ago are irrelevant. So in the relevant period Wenger has a single FA Cup over Rodgers, but then Brendan did far better in the league.

I wouldn't say 5 points is "far better"
Original post by e aí rapaz
I wouldn't say 5 points is "far better"

With a worse team

5 points ahead isn't what I'd call 'far better'.

The only thing that matters is that Rodgers team bottled it when it really counted. Second place in the league doesn't really count for anything. Legacies aren't built on coming second. He has since lost his best player and replaced him with a host of average players. Now liverpool are paying the price.

Definitely could have invested the Suarez money better.

Wenger actually won a trophy last season. Knocked liverpool out along the way too.
Original post by De Chirico

The only thing that matters is that Rodgers team bottled it when it really counted. Second place in the league doesn't really count for anything. Legacies aren't built on coming second. He has since lost his best player and replaced him with a host of average players. Now liverpool are paying the price.

Wenger actually won a trophy last season. Knocked liverpool out along the way too.

With a worse team.

Could say Arsenal bottled it too, top of the league for months then completely threw it away.

I don't think you can criticize Rodgers transfers when for several transfer windows Wenger has refused to buy the DM and top striker that would turn his team into serious title challengers.

For years it was all "trophies don't prove anything, Wenger has done a great job for 8 years without any trophies" now you win 1 thing and trophies are all that matters :lol:

And of course Wenger's tactics in big games are absolutely awful.
'Legacies aren't built on coming second'.

Are legacies built on coming fourth?

I would have Rodgers over wenger any day
Original post by sevchenko
I think Draxler is an interesting case tbh. Wenger's interest was legit but is there space for him now that we have Alexis? I can see Rues going to Madrid and Draxler to Bayern

I am a bayern fan and i really doubt Bayern is going to get the over-priced Draxler Schalke wanted 40M for him! thats more than gotze!!

Reus has the possibility of joining bayern since he's like 30M max
I think Arsenal should look for a central defender Dante is an option :P
Original post by MiaSanMia
I am a bayern fan and i really doubt Bayern is going to get the over-priced Draxler Schalke wanted 40M for him! thats more than gotze!!

Reus has the possibility of joining bayern since he's like 30M max
I think Arsenal should look for a central defender Dante is an option :P

I don't watch German football so I'm sure there are others on here who can speak better about Bayern. Ribery and Robben are getting on, who's their ideal replacements?

I've never really rated Dante tbh Whenever I've seen him he looks unreliable and erratic. Prefer to go for Nastasic I think he easily displace Mert from the team. Doubt City would to sell to us tho

ok.. just comparing now:

Over the last few years, wenger has won 1 major trophy.. brendon 0 - wenger league finishes in the past 3 seasons: 4th-4th-3rd, brendan: 11th, 7th, 2nd

I mean, on the basis of that.. It would seem wenger is staying still, if not getting worse.. and rogers is getting better..

But then again, this season brendan looks pretty dire.

All in all, its hard to compare as those league finishes are pointless when 1 was at swansea..

All I would say is that at the moment, until he wins something of importance, he cannot be called a truelly succesfull manager.. and even though wenger has only won 1 major trophy recently, its still 1 more then brendan..

A single good season does not make you a great manager.. and this season will tell you if he can keep it going, or if it was a fluke..

If he finishes 1st-4th tihs season, wins a trophy, and gets out of the CL group - I would call him better currently then wenger.
With a worse team

In what way was it a worse team? It was easily the better first 11 plus it had the advantage of one game a week
I don't watch German football so I'm sure there are others on here who can speak better about Bayern. Ribery and Robben are getting on, who's their ideal replacements?

I've never really rated Dante tbh Whenever I've seen him he looks unreliable and erratic. Prefer to go for Nastasic I think he easily displace Mert from the team. Doubt City would to sell to us tho

Lol you haven't watched nastasic at all have you he's been awful and I barely know any city fans that rate him at all. Infact last time time I read anythig about him on a city forum the question everyone was asking is he promising at all or actually just ****. Complete liability
Original post by De Chirico

That's only because they failed to beat Chelsea and Crystal Palace in the last 3 games of the season. The title was in Liverpool's hands for the last 5 or so weeks, it was never in Arsenal's hands in the latter stages of the season. We can look at points, but goals scored and the way they played is a better reflection of how last season went for Liverpool, compared to Arsenal.

Arsenal fans can be proud of an FA Cup victory, but I'm sure many Arsenal fans would take a real PL challenge over an odd FA Cup victory.

As with Rodgers spending money on average players, who are you to judge they're average? Just two seasons ago, everyone was saying Henderson was average, but he had a terrific season last year. Most players need time to adapt, you can't just judge players based on 6 PL games alone. The fact is that Balotelli doesn't fit Liverpool. He's not mobile enough, and he doesn't make the same runs Suarez does, and what Costa does for Chelsea now. He's a target man, instead of a player who runs behind the last man of defence. That doesn't suit Liverpool.

Anyways, Rodgers would have been scrutinised even if he spent most of that Suarez money on a world-class player like Falcao or Cavani for example. Because as soon as Liverpool have a bad run, everyone would have said ''Liverpool needed strength in depth and a better defence, instead Rodgers went out and spent £50m on one player''. Rodgers did the smart thing and improved the overall squad, instead of just the XI.
Original post by AnharM
That's only because they failed to beat Chelsea and Crystal Palace in the last 3 games of the season. The title was in Liverpool's hands for the last 5 or so weeks, it was never in Arsenal's hands in the latter stages of the season. We can look at points, but goals scored and the way they played is a better reflection of how last season went for Liverpool, compared to Arsenal.

Arsenal fans can be proud of an FA Cup victory, but I'm sure many Arsenal fans would take a real PL challenge over an odd FA Cup victory.

As with Rodgers spending money on average players, who are you to judge they're average? Just two seasons ago, everyone was saying Henderson was average, but he had a terrific season last year. Most players need time to adapt, you can't just judge players based on 6 PL games alone. The fact is that Balotelli doesn't fit Liverpool. He's not mobile enough, and he doesn't make the same runs Suarez does, and what Costa does for Chelsea now. He's a target man, instead of a player who runs behind the last man of defence. That doesn't suit Liverpool.

Anyways, Rodgers would have been scrutinised even if he spent most of that Suarez money on a world-class player like Falcao or Cavani for example. Because as soon as Liverpool have a bad run, everyone would have said ''Liverpool needed strength in depth and a better defence, instead Rodgers went out and spent £50m on one player''. Rodgers did the smart thing and improved the overall squad, instead of just the XI.

End of the day, points total is the best way to compare a teams performance in the league over the season, otherwise we all end up saying things like "oh but if Arsenal had won that one tight draw" and "if only gerrard didn't fall over".

It's too soon to judge Rodgers. He had one good season with no CL football and with Luis Suarez. If he repeats the points/position this year then he'll deserve respect.
Reply 1016
Original post by AnharM

The bit in bold - Liverpools loss to Chelsea was where the title slipped from Liverpool's hands. If Liverpool had just gotten a point from Chelsea, then the title still would have been theirs and then perhaps, if they had won the Palace game they would have clinched it. Its that naivety from Rodgers that lost them the title. Had Rodgers just gone out and like Chelsea, played for a draw then he wouldn't have had no problem in getting the point (considering Chelsea were settling for a draw too) and then they could have pushed on. They went all out attack on Chelsea and then were consequently caught out on the counter. When I mention his naivety, I mean that if that was Mourinho, he would have easily played for a draw and would have been happy for with it. A better manager knows when to play for the win and when to just stand your ground. Liverpool's form and their chemistry probably deluded Rodgers into thinking that they could sweep Chelsea away at Anfield. Doesn't work like that.

I agree with the rest of your post, Suarez was obviously destined to leave and it definitely would have unsettled the team and so no matter what he did after would have resulted in him getting criticism. For me, I think he did the right thing in strengthening everywhere (though I still question some signings). If he had gotten just the one expensive player, then they would have been effd because of all the football they needed to play this season.

The difference between Liverpool and Tottenham (2013) is that the players Liverpool have bought are generally doing well for them (except maybe one or two), whereas with Tottenham, the players that they brought in were doing **** for them lolol. Liverpools fixture list is now so friendly to them for a month or so, and its the perfect time to really build that understanding between the players. It's Rodgers real test now, because it seems to me that he doesn't yet know his best starting 11, and doesn't even know his best formation. If he doesn't sort it out soon enough then when the tougher fixtures come back around then Liverpool are pissed. If he does somehow manage create that same winning mentality that he had in jan-may 2014, then they can and will get top 4. If not then they're on the downfall again.

And lastly, no - if we look at our season last season.. its injuries that effd us up. We sustained a good challenge for the title until those dirty few weeks of March/April. So in that sense, I was happy to get the FA cup. I would rather have won that last year than to just come second with nothing because then the story would have been "A decade and no silverwear". I can bet anything that if Arsenal had finished second with no trophy last season it would have no significance what so ever. What this trophy has done is brought back the winning mentality for us, and hopefully we can now push on. I don't expect a title challenge this season tbh, I would like another FA cup though, and possibly to go further in the champs league. It'll keep the winning mentality going and will carry on pushing us in the right direction.
Original post by AnharM

Liverpool was only good because of Suarez. The players he has brought in are not within light years of Suarez and that's why Liverpool have no chance of the title this season.
Original post by Zander01
'Legacies aren't built on coming second'.

Are legacies built on coming fourth?

I would have Rodgers over wenger any day

Sometimes a legacy is so apparent, that you can touch it,

Lets see Brendan(or Mourinho) spend 8 years working on a budget of £0, working with kids and average players to guarantee CL football to build a club up. And in the meantime, flat reject offers from Real Madrid and Bayern Munich to do that. That's a legacy if I ever saw one. Not even going to mention the 8 major titles and glorious memories on the pitch Arsene has brought.

Who says they have to buy from the BuLi? Robben/Ribery both came from other leagues and in a choice of Draxler for £35m or doing that again, Bayern are cute enough to figure out the best deal. Can easily go with Gotze and Muller as first choice wide men in any case.

Dante is a terrible CB imho

Latest