The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
EAC invite! Now off to do some revision...
Reply 301
Original post by lilys
EAC invite! Now off to do some revision...

Woop, congrats and good luck! :smile:
Just did the online tests (GFS). How soon am I likely to hear if I'm straight through? (or less positively, how long should I leave it before I assume I'm amber banded?)
If you're straight through, it would probably be about 24 hours.
Original post by Hashshashin
Just did the online tests (GFS). How soon am I likely to hear if I'm straight through? (or less positively, how long should I leave it before I assume I'm amber banded?)

Most likely less then 24 hours
Original post by GManTheGMan
If you're straight through, it would probably be about 24 hours.

Does this apply to any stream?
Reply 306
Original post by jelly1000
Does this apply to any stream?

For the non-analytical streams with the early November deadline. Those who haven't heard within 1-2 days of doing their tests will have been 'amber-banded' until more people have sat their tests.

Not sure for the others, sorry!
Original post by kat.lev
For the non-analytical streams with the early November deadline. Those who haven't heard within 1-2 days of doing their tests will have been 'amber-banded' until more people have sat their tests.

Not sure for the others, sorry!

Ah that includes me then :/
Reply 308
have they started immediate rejections?
Reply 309
Original post by hm13
have they started immediate rejections?

For non-analytical schemes, yes.
Reply 310
In that case, I'll take comfort in not being rejected yet :biggrin:
Original post by kat.lev
For non-analytical schemes, yes.

Can I please ask those who have been successful what kind of competencies they tried to project in the third test? I went for a more research based/analytical kind of persona (that's how I see myself) but am wondering if the role is based more around leadership and management
Reply 312
Original post by Patrick1983
Can I please ask those who have been successful what kind of competencies they tried to project in the third test? I went for a more research based/analytical kind of persona (that's how I see myself) but am wondering if the role is based more around leadership and management

I originally considered trying to project a certain false image of myself, but as I figured the test would be judged for consistency, I finally decided against it.

As a person, I'm not very pushy, but I am quite inclusive and have usually managed to gain respect and following based on knowing my stuff rather than by shouting others down. I was as honest as possible and I have been immediately successful for my two schemes (GFS and EFS).

If the test is worthwhile, I would hope that they recognise various types of leadership - my impression is that it does! :smile:
Sorry, to clarify I wasn't suggesting dishonesty but generally if we describe ourselves we tend to have a particular image in view, which means that many of our characteristics get played down or vice versa.

In a test like this one - where I felt it was very easy to say yes to everything - that becomes even more obvious.

I'm still waiting by the way.
when people say they got immediate acceptance do they actually mean the moment they pressed submit they got a message saying they'd been successful?
Reply 315
Original post by Patrick1983
Sorry, to clarify I wasn't suggesting dishonesty but generally if we describe ourselves we tend to have a particular image in view, which means that many of our characteristics get played down or vice versa.

In a test like this one - where I felt it was very easy to say yes to everything - that becomes even more obvious.

I'm still waiting by the way.

Yes I didn't really mean like a totally fake persona, rather just exaggerating some parts and downplaying others..! Haha.
For people who have had to write their reasons for applying for finance/commercial (you get 300 words), what kind of things have you written on? How do you write
:awesome: in words?
Reply 317
Original post by Mauricefred
when people say they got immediate acceptance do they actually mean the moment they pressed submit they got a message saying they'd been successful?

No, it means that they got a response within 24 hours. Since they have now started to mark tests, if you do not receive your result within 24 hours you have been amber-banded and will have to wait until they narrow the bands again!
Original post by Slowbro93
Most likely less then 24 hours

About 12 hours, it turned out.

Through to the e-tray (well, the form, but apparently that's not even used to sift properly for GFS)

Relieved although also amused. I was extremely hacked off this time last year because I was filtered out by the competency questionaire.

Last year I tried to give a balanced portrayal of my capabilities and attitude, including weaknesses - it didn't work. This year I twisted all the answers to line up with all of the awful characteristics that I'd associate with most of the less competent fast streamers I know from work (I'm a current civil servant) - straight through to the next stage. :tongue:
I finished my tests for the GFS on Sunday. I had no idea about all this "amber banding" etc. so I'm a bit worried now, as I still haven't got the results!

What I'd like to know, from the people who have had their results back, is: what kind of details/feedback do you receive? Does the message just say you have passed/failed, or do you get some kind of score?

Quick Reply

Latest