The Student Room Group

How to succeed at AS-level physics?

I'm finding it quite dull at the moment (we're doing materials and mechanics, stuff like scalers and vectors, Young's modulus etc) and since it's a little less interesting than I had anticipated, I'm less motivated to read ahead and keep on top of the homework. I'm also finding it a little confusing because one of our teachers has a very strong foreign accent which makes it harder to understand what she's saying, let alone focus at all.

Is there any invaluable advice for physics in particular that I should note from past AS students who got good grades (As, Bs and Cs?) It's the only science I'm doing - not chemistry (which is quite difficult but very interesting) or biology (which seems straightforward enough as I think it's mainly memorisation but I wouldn't dream of doing it because I hate it).
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm in the same situation tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I got a very high B in physics, 2 marks from an A, was my only B, but i got it due to getting complacent. Physics at AS level is significantly easier. Materials and waves (unit 2 for AQA) was by far the worst for me, despite actually getting an A in that module. The material in that unit is painfully boring and waves can be quite difficult. Mechanics was easy for me as i did M1 in maths last year. But dont worry, because the other unit is actually quite interesting, with particle physics and lots of maths, which is quite easy. If you want to do well with physics at AS level you simply have to learn it and get a lot of practise in.
Reply 3
The unit on waves and electricity is so boring :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D despite hours of blood, sweat and tears (just not a natural physicist). My advice would make sure you iron out any knowledge gaps you have now. Don't understand something? Ask. Look it up. Revise. Don't bury it and hope it'll all make sense later, or feel you need to ""prove"" anything by struggling through a worksheet on your own.
Original post by DDan123
The unit on waves and electricity is so boring :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

are you doing AQA A? i was hoping we'd start the year by doing all the quantum phenomena content but noooooo D: ah well, more to look forward to next year i guess.
Original post by loperdoper
I got a D despite hours of blood, sweat and tears (just not a natural physicist). My advice would make sure you iron out any knowledge gaps you have now. Don't understand something? Ask. Look it up. Revise. Don't bury it and hope it'll all make sense later, or feel you need to ""prove"" anything by struggling through a worksheet on your own.

Thanks. I'm aiming for an A at the end of Year 12 and an A* for A2 as it's the only subject I'll be taking to A2 where I feel I have a viable chance of getting an A* (maths and further maths are less likely).

Did you find the course easy to understand at AS? Are the EMPAs/ISAs difficult to do well in? Are you carrying it to A2?
Reply 7
Original post by tanyapotter
are you doing AQA A? i was hoping we'd start the year by doing all the quantum phenomena content but noooooo D: ah well, more to look forward to next year i guess.

Nope I'm on edexcel aha. My school decided to start with electricity and waves, and after Christmas we'll be doing mechanics and materials. Imo Ill likely drop physics after this year, because atm I'm finding it dull and harder than my other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks. I'm aiming for an A at the end of Year 12 and an A* for A2 as it's the only subject I'll be taking to A2 where I feel I have a viable chance of getting an A* (maths and further maths are less likely).

Did you find the course easy to understand at AS? Are the EMPAs/ISAs difficult to do well in? Are you carrying it to A2?

I picked up the mechanics content reasonably easily, I just couldn't apply it to exams. The electricity and quantum physics was reasonably difficult, though (electricity mostly because it was so boring).

The ISA, strangely enough, I actually got a B in, so I must have been doing something right. Just take it slow, read the instructions carefully and ask for clarification if need be. Teachers can ""hint"" at what you're doing right/wrong, but cannot outright answer (so if your teacher comes up and goes "are you sure that x needs to be x?" then you've gone wrong)

I dropped it at AS, because I had ABB in three other subjects to continue with.
I got a B last year, nearly an A but my empa, was an E!! So that really sucked. I would say, past papers are your best friend,and when the EMPA comes, really focus on that more, as its so important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by amigosdistributi
I got a B last year, nearly an A but my empa, was an E!! So that really sucked. I would say, past papers are your best friend,and when the EMPA comes, really focus on that more, as its so important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh that's sucks :/ Btw is it worth making detailed notes for physics? Or is doing questions and practice the best way to prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, which board are you doing? I did ocr for as and got a medium to high A. If you doing the same board, pm me I'll be happy to help. What I suggest is not just go by the school book, use other sources such as physics classroom and Google up Dr physics A on YouTube. Physics is a hard subject, but doable as long as you work at it. Pm if you want help like I mentioned

Posted from TSR Mobile
I forgot to mention, start papers early Feb / March times. And I found making notes helped me aswell as doing QnA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DDan123
Ahh that's sucks :/ Btw is it worth making detailed notes for physics? Or is doing questions and practice the best way to prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made fairly detailed notes, but they were edited considerably when I did past papers, so I would say maybe do a few past paper questions on each topic and then see how you feel then. The textbook is particularly unhelpful and cryptic for physics, so would use past papers, cgp guide, lessons and a bit of textbook to make good notes.
I'm finding it quite dull at the moment (we're doing materials and mechanics, stuff like scalers and vectors, Young's modulus etc) and since it's a little less interesting than I had anticipated, I'm less motivated to read ahead and keep on top of the homework. I'm also finding it a little confusing because one of our teachers has a very strong foreign accent which makes it harder to understand what she's saying, let alone focus at all.

Is there any invaluable advice for physics in particular that I should note from past AS students who got good grades (As, Bs and Cs?) It's the only science I'm doing - not chemistry (which is quite difficult but very interesting) or biology (which seems straightforward enough as I think it's mainly memorisation but I wouldn't dream of doing it because I hate it).

In the first unit you have to learn the basic principles before you can continue. You won't get very far at all if you do not know the very basics. I always found it very interesting, but I know many people who found it boring to learn about. It makes it much easier if you know it well though.

ake sure you keep reading ahead. I read far ahead - in fact I learn the entire book in the first few weeks, but you probably only need to know maybe a few pages ahead. It means that when you get to lessons it'll be less confusing, and you'll already have a clear idea of what you need it know. Of course you might not actually understand what you're pre-reading, but when you get to lesson, just knowing the odd bit of information makes you feel more confident about the course.

And it does get more interesting, especially at A2. In fact at A2 physics was by far my highest subject, and also the subject I did best in. I got an A in physics :smile:
Original post by Devran22
Hey, which board are you doing? I did ocr for as and got a medium to high A. If you doing the same board, pm me I'll be happy to help. What I suggest is not just go by the school book, use other sources such as physics classroom and Google up Dr physics A on YouTube. Physics is a hard subject, but doable as long as you work at it. Pm if you want help like I mentioned

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you on OCR physics A? If yes how did you revise
I am finding unit 1 module 1 relatively easy.
How should I revise the other modules
I did mechanics in maths last year so is unit 1 physics very different from mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Are you on OCR physics A? If yes how did you revise
I am finding unit 1 module 1 relatively easy.
How should I revise the other modules
I did mechanics in maths last year so is unit 1 physics very different from mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep same board ocr
a. Unit one is pretty much half of m1 and m2. So you shouldn't struggle as much. Unit two is the more interesting physics but harder (even though somehow I did better in it). What I did is I made notes on each topic as we did them. Then made more precise notes closer to exams. After every module go through the exam questions in the book. I'll also pm you a link to some good worksheet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I am struggling like insanely with AS Physics! Like its so detailed and even when you think they can't take it a step further they just do! I'm doing the WJEC exam and my lecturer said that he wouldn't teach us the theory if he didn't have to because its pointless, he reckons the secret to a high grade is to learn the mark schemes of like every past paper and then you'll be set for any question they throw at you (especially as the WJEC are quite structured and repetitive in question asking) but I'm not quite convinced yet!

Quick Reply

Latest