The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skillzaismine
No because a theory is based on evidence

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah - a theory is basically: observe, "right so that happens when I do this.....Maybe that means that if I change this, that'll happen"

An opinion: "There's another world war coming soon."
Original post by Andy98
Yeah - a theory is basically: observe, "right so that happens when I do this.....Maybe that means that if I change this, that'll happen"

An opinion: "There's another world war coming soon."

dude you said they were the same. you just contradicted yourself now lmao
Reply 6402

Yeah you're right you win

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was no difference.
Original post by Aph
Yeah you're right you win

Posted from TSR Mobile

in your face.
Original post by Andy98
There was no difference.

You just stated what they meant.
There is a difference between the two.
and you basically said it.

They're ​different.
Reply 6406
Original post by Andy98
There was no difference.

There is. A theory is commonly accepted and based in fact and observations an opinion is based on thoughts anf fealings
in your face.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You just stated what they meant.
There is a difference between the two.
and you basically said it.

They're ​different.

No I gave an example of each - the only real difference was the subject matter.

Both have not been proven. And both can be explained.
Reply 6408
Original post by Andy98

No theories have evidence behind them and are commonly accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
There is. A theory is commonly accepted and based in fact and observations an opinion is based on thoughts anf fealings

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my opinions are based around fact and observation (even if they aren't commonly accepted). Are you basically saying I've never had an opinion??????
Reply 6410
Original post by Andy98
All my opinions are based around fact and observation (even if they aren't commonly accepted). Are you basically saying I've never had an opinion??????

Yes. and theories are essentially fact but fact changes so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
No theories have evidence behind them and are commonly accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Opinions also have evidence behind them, and theories aren't necessarily commonly accepted - you only have to look at the Steady State theory or the Geocentric model of the universe.
Original post by Aph
Yes. and theories are essentially fact but fact changes so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no facts don't change. We just make new discoveries that prove what we thought to be true wrong.
Reply 6413
Original post by Andy98
Opinions also have evidence behind them, and theories aren't necessarily commonly accepted - you only have to look at the Steady State theory or the Geocentric model of the universe.

I ment accepted in the particular field. And evidence by properly applying the scientific method

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aph
I ment accepted in the particular field. And evidence by properly applying the scientific method

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah. That's how I form opinions. I see where the logical evidence leads.
Original post by Andy98

Oui

But

Theories are supported by concrete evidence - which can be proven to be incorrect or correct.
Opinions are based on someone's thoughts of something, it cannot be proven to be correct or incorrect.
Reply 6416
Original post by Andy98
Well yeah. That's how I form opinions. I see where the logical evidence leads.

So if you can prove your opinions they are theories

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oui

But

Theories are supported by concrete evidence - which can be proven to be incorrect or correct.
Opinions are based on someone's thoughts of something, it cannot be proven to be correct or incorrect.

So basically my English teacher was wrong, and I've never had an opinion? :confused:
Original post by Andy98
So basically my English teacher was wrong, and I've never had an opinion? :confused:

YES YOUR ENGLISH TEACHER WAS WRONG. THEY WERE PROBABLY A 50 YEAR OLD DUDE WHO NEEDS UPGRADING.

Nah, you've always had an opinion e.g. I love eminem omg he's so cool his raps are fab can i ride into the sunset with him pls
Original post by Aph
You're doing dofe?
Yeah I'm good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am, are you?
Original post by adityac3688
Yes I did :smile: Turns out Double/Triple sets aren't even assigned yet! :P

How's school! :biggrin: A huge jump or are you cruising through the beginning? Honestly, the 1st term isn't as much pressure and hard as I expected it to be! Apart from Maths a bit, we finish 1 unit in less than a weeks time and have a test the other week :P we're expected to understand everything as we're top set, but no one honestly does! we move verryyyy fast! :frown: But i've been getting As & A*s in the tests so its manageable atm just worried about when it gets tuffer :P

Not much of a jump. Tbh I got more hw in Year 9... Especially during Summer Term. :eek: I've got a good group! I've had a few tests this week too. I'm loving all my subjects as well so I'm fine!

I agree! It's not bad at all! Same with maths but I prefer it like that. :tongue: Oh wow, those grades are great! Do you ask questions though if you don't get it? I'm sure it'll be fine for the rest of the year and beyond though! :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest