The Student Room Group

Why are some feminists so extreme?

Ok so you know that most feminists want the same rights as men do (correct me if I'm wrong). But why is it that most feminists only want rights for women and do not care about men? or other issues such as wearing anything what they want. For example I saw a thread on here about wearing skirts too short and not complying with school rules and most the replies were 'because it's the school rules' and I noticed that some people were saying things like 'a girl can wear anything they want, it's there body and girls are not sex objects'. Perfectly acceptable response but sometimes they go a bit too far by ignoring the fact that mean have rights too. Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This is what happens when you create a movement for women and men off of the back of one that used to be exclusive to women. Of course many feminists still aren't going to acknowledge mens rights, that is what feminism was initially anyway, a movement exclusively for women. Don't be surprised if some of them haven't yet gotten the memo.
majority of feminists hate men.
I would imagine the same reason most ideologies have extremists? Some people get caught up in the heat of passion or something or other. Some feminists have bad experiences with men. Some believe that sexism is the root of all problems. But simply put every ideology has those who are extreme, moderate, and conservative and feminism is no exception. And like many extremists those tend to be the ones that are loudest and get the most attention.
Original post by ChickenMadness

depends how you define feminism. your average woman on the street who just takes the word to mean gender equality probably doesn't.

I'd love to see the statistic to back that claim up lol
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Ok so you know that most feminists want the same rights as men do (correct me if I'm wrong). But why is it that most feminists only want rights for women and do not care about men? or other issues such as wearing anything what they want. For example I saw a thread on here about wearing skirts too short and not complying with school rules and most the replies were 'because it's the school rules' and I noticed that some people were saying things like 'a girl can wear anything they want, it's there body and girls are not sex objects'. Perfectly acceptable response but sometimes they go a bit too far by ignoring the fact that mean have rights too. Does anyone get what I'm trying to say?

There are lunatics on the fringe of every cause, feminism is no exception.
Original post by cole-slaw
There are lunatics on the fringe of every cause, feminism is no exception.

Thank you! I don't know why people think that feminism is some exception to everything and that all feminists are like the angriest ones.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Thank you! I don't know why people think that feminism is some exception to everything and that all feminists are like the angriest ones.

I'm going to watch a feminist comedian this weekend, will let you know whether or not she was a fringe lunatic.
Original post by cole-slaw
I'm going to watch a feminist comedian this weekend, will let you know whether or not she was a fringe lunatic.

That'll be interesting. Who is it?

I don't get it, wasn't the feminist movement created because females didn't have the same rights as males? It's a bit ironic actually seeing that they are not willing to accept the fact that they're doing the same thing some males did years ago?
I would imagine the same reason most ideologies have extremists? Some people get caught up in the heat of passion or something or other. Some feminists have bad experiences with men. Some believe that sexism is the root of all problems. But simply put every ideology has those who are extreme, moderate, and conservative and feminism is no exception. And like many extremists those tend to be the ones that are loudest and get the most attention.

If feminists are seeking 'equality' then why remove the rights of men. It's ridiculous.
If feminists are seeking 'equality' then why remove the rights of men. It's ridiculous.

What 'rights' have been removed?
What 'rights' have been removed?

Ah sorry, my mistake. It seems to me that some feminists want the rights of women removed.
Ah sorry, my mistake. It seems to me that some feminists want the rights of women removed.

Well I'd ask the same question. What 'rights'?
Well I'd ask the same question. What 'rights'?

Some information of the rights that some feminists target;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men's_rights_movement

It's disgusting how females throw the blame on men in some cases.
Feminist theory isn't consistent with equality. The various institutions based on the theory doesn't promote actions which are consistent with equality. Scientific research regularly demonstrates their claims to be false, and so the movement has brejected science because it is a masculine dominated, anti feminine discourse, and claim that physics hasn't solved fluid equations but has done equations based on rigid objects because there's a phallic scientific dogma. Is it really a surprise that a movement that promotes this attracts a disproportionate amount of crazies?

Ahhhhhh MRA's lovely :rolleyes:

EDIT: I thought you said that feminism is taking away women's rights?
(edited 9 years ago)

How about a specific example you'd like to think of.
Ahhhhhh MRA's lovely :rolleyes:

You must be thinking I'm biased but I'm a female myself. What's so 'typical' about MRA's exactly?

I don't think you would like it if someone removed your rights...:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest