The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I would really appreciat esome help here - I don't know whether I should apply to LSE or not? is it worth it? The competition there is ridiculous plus I am already applying for top unis. I was not planning on applying because I don't take FM even though it offered at my school. Anyway, do you guys think I would have a chance or that I should just play it safe(r) by applying to Surrey>

Universities Applying for: Oxford, UCL x2 (Economics and Economics with A Year Abroad), Nottingham and either Surrey or LSE

GCSE Results: 11A*'s 4A's

AS Subjects and Results: Maths (A) Chemistry (A) Biology (A) Economics (A)

A2 Subjects and Predictions: Maths (A*) Biology (A*) Economics (A*)

Books: How Markets Fail by John Cassidy,Poor Economics by Banjeree and Duflo and Scottish Independence: Weighing Up Economics by Gavin McCrone.

Work Experience: Natwest, Aviva, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup

What I've done Outside lessons: Economics Subject Leader, President of Economics Society, Volunteer in KS4 Maths Classes, Read FT and Economist, Attended 2 Economic Lectures @ University of Cambridge and attended one week Economics Summer school at the University of Bocconi in Milan.

I also play sport for my school and county and am a member of Principal's Council.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomixox
I would really appreciat esome help here - I don't know whether I should apply to LSE or not? is it worth it? The competition there is ridiculous plus I am already applying for top unis. I was not planning on applying because I don't take FM even though it offered at my school. Anyway, do you guys think I would have a chance or that I should just play it safe(r) by applying to Surrey>

Universities Applying for: Oxford, UCL x2 (Economics and Economics with A Year Abroad), Nottingham and either Surrey or LSE

Books: How Markets Fail by John Cassidy,Poor Economics by Banjeree and Duflo and Scottish Independence: Weighing Up Economics by Gavin McCrone.

What I've done Outside lessons: Economics Subject Leader, President of Economics Society, Volunteer in KS4 Maths Classes, Read FT and Economist, Attended 2 Economic Lectures @ University of Cambridge and attended one week Economics Summer school at the University of Bocconi in Milan.

I also play sport for my school and county and am a member of Principal's Council.

If you haven't done further maths but your school offers it I think it'd be too risky

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would love some input here on my choices of university: i am applying to Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Bristol and Birmingham all for L100 apart from Oxford which is Eco&Mgt. Would like to know if my choices are realistic or not with my application:

GCSE: 8A* 3A + A in Ad Maths
AS: Maths (A) 92%, Chemistry (A) 94%, Physics (A) 89%, Economics (A) 84%
Predictions: Economics A*, Chemistry A*, Maths A*, Further Maths A

My PS is pretty strong as well as my reference.

Question is am i being too ambitious with unis as i know they are very competitive.
Original post by Batman1996
Would love some input here on my choices of university: i am applying to Oxford, Durham, Warwick, Bristol and Birmingham all for L100 apart from Oxford which is Eco&Mgt. Would like to know if my choices are realistic or not with my application:

GCSE: 8A* 3A + A in Ad Maths
AS: Maths (A) 92%, Chemistry (A) 94%, Physics (A) 89%, Economics (A) 84%
Predictions: Economics A*, Chemistry A*, Maths A*, Further Maths A

My PS is pretty strong as well as my reference.

Question is am i being too ambitious with unis as i know they are very competitive.

Nah you'll get an offer from Birmingham, and probably Durham. The others are always iffy for any candidate. Your choices are perfectly fine with your profile.
cheers, i know oxford is all TSA dependent. Thought Durham would be more competitive than Bristol?
Reply 425
Original post by tomixox

You'll almost definitely get an offer from Nottingham. Probably UCL for straight Econ at least. Remember you need an a* in maths from LSE or UCL to meet your offer which could be risky. But tbh you wouldn't be happy at Surrey if you're aiming as high as your other choices. An insurance could be Bristol over Surrey? The Econ and econometrics is AAA too. But you could go for LSE and be fairly confident of an offer from some of your other choices if LSE doesn't work out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 426
Original post by Batman1996
cheers, i know oxford is all TSA dependent. Thought Durham would be more competitive than Bristol?

similar for economics, be fairly confident of an offer from all but Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LFR
You'll almost definitely get an offer from Nottingham. Probably UCL for straight Econ at least. Remember you need an a* in maths from LSE or UCL to meet your offer which could be risky. But tbh you wouldn't be happy at Surrey if you're aiming as high as your other choices. An insurance could be Bristol over Surrey? The Econ and econometrics is AAA too. But you could go for LSE and be fairly confident of an offer from some of your other choices if LSE doesn't work out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it. The reason I am not really into applying to Bristol (or Warwicl) is because I heard they are very boring cities and the student/social life is pretty much dead. I know that's quite bad but in all honesty I DO want to go to a good university especially one with strong job prospects but at the same time I want to enjoy myself. I'm pretty sure if I work my ass off I can get an A* in maths and if reckon I can deffo get an A* in economics. I thought the University of Surrey was a good, up and coming university?
Original post by tomixox
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply - I appreciate it. The reason I am not really into applying to Bristol (or Warwicl) is because I heard they are very boring cities and the student/social life is pretty much dead. I know that's quite bad but in all honesty I DO want to go to a good university especially one with strong job prospects but at the same time I want to enjoy myself. I'm pretty sure if I work my ass off I can get an A* in maths and if reckon I can deffo get an A* in economics. I thought the University of Surrey was a good, up and coming university?

Hate to be a snob but you could go to a uni with much stronger job prospects than surrey. i'm sure its a great uni and has anice course but from the look of ur grades u should be looking at birmingham, southhampton, leeds in terms of an insurance.
Original post by tomixox

I always though that Bristol shas a very good social and student life - I think of it as a smaller, cosier, cheaper London!
Original post by tomixox

not on the same level as oxbridge, lse, warwick, ucl and many other unis are better than surrey for econ
Reply 431
Original post by tomixox

I tend to agree with you about Warwick, but heard Bristol has a great social scene as it's a decent sized city. if you're confident about getting a*aa then maybe you should just apply to lse and have Nottingham as an insurance if you don't get the a* in maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many ppl mention Scottish independence in the ps, my teacher recommended that I do, but I feel like a lot of ppl will.
Original post by Mathsfanatic123
How many ppl mention Scottish independence in the ps, my teacher recommended that I do, but I feel like a lot of ppl will.

I have mentioned it! I didn't realise a lot of people would be mentioning it. I wouldn't worry as I reckon last year loads of applicants discussed Mark Canney's refusal to increase interest rates until employment fell below 7%. A girl in the year above me who applied for economics mentioned that, Freakonomics AND Animal Spirits and still managed to secure offers from Cambridge, LSE, Bristol, Exeter and Warwick!
Original post by tomixox
I have mentioned it! I didn't realise a lot of people would be mentioning it. I wouldn't worry as I reckon last year loads of applicants discussed Mark Canney's refusal to increase interest rates until employment fell below 7%. A girl in the year above me who applied for economics mentioned that, Freakonomics AND Animal Spirits and still managed to secure offers from Cambridge, LSE, Bristol, Exeter and Warwick!

Oh good!! I thought mentioning freaknomincs would be like the deadliest sin by now!
Original post by Mathsfanatic123
Oh good!! I thought mentioning freaknomincs would be like the deadliest sin by now!

That's what I thought but apparently not as she is now enrolling at Cambridge! :smile:
Just sent my application omg :biggrin:
Reply 437
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Just sent my application omg :biggrin:

Best of luck! The wait will be so tense:/ I just want to get into uni and start working/enjoying already
Original post by fha96
Best of luck! The wait will be so tense:/ I just want to get into uni and start working/enjoying already

yeah that's what I think, I can just imagine myself constantly checking my emails :colondollar:
Ah I am applying for Economics.Still undecided where to apply though.Considering KCL/UCL,Warwick,Manchester,Bath/Bristol and some other uni.Any help.
P.S Got an A in Economics and B's in Maths,Physics and ICT(AS levels)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending