The Student Room Group

Asset management

Hi,

I am sorry to bother you with such elementary questions. I am a university student considering my options with reference to IB.

I just have a few questions on AM.

Firstly, please could you give me a brief/insight into the work of an employer in this division, in your words?

Moreover, what qualities should an applicant possess to succeed in AM?

Lastly, what are the salary prospects of AM at an IB firm?

(I understand that this is absolutely the incorrect reason to attempt to get into a specific division but just a curious question).

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

I apologise for the long message.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your questions are quite basic and could be answered with a quick Google search.

Have a look at the Investment Management Vault Guide. Warwick Finance Society seems to come up with a link if you search in Google
Reply 2
my 2 cents are that if you are interested in AM you should target proper investment management firm, not banks division. (with the notable exception of JPM AM).

BTW here is the newest version of the vault guide. have a look.

http://fidelityrecruitment.com/files/5414/0966/5332/Vault_Guide_14-15.pdf
Reply 3
Skills needed will vary greatly, but you have to be rounded. Some managers these days are highly quantitative, some traditional...

Out of interest...

Anyone heard from the big asset managers for grad schemes? Fidelity/Blackrock/M&G/Aberdeen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by TkTk
Skills needed will vary greatly, but you have to be rounded. Some managers these days are highly quantitative, some traditional...

Out of interest...

Anyone heard from the big asset managers for grad schemes? Fidelity/Blackrock/M&G/Aberdeen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt BlackRock has started giving intws yet. They made offers to summer interns last week.
M&G has started giving invites for video interviews, both for summer and Grad.
Glad to hear others with more updated infos :smile:
Reply 5
Aberdeen only recruit from their summer intern pool (was told this at a careers fair and can confirm from their site)
Reply 6
Original post by sertur91
I doubt BlackRock has started giving intws yet. They made offers to summer interns last week.
M&G has started giving invites for video interviews, both for summer and Grad.
Glad to hear others with more updated infos :smile:

Yeah I've done the M&G video interview, but a few weeks ago :/ Also waiting on JPM, Blackrock, Fidelity, Goldman & Aberdeen for asset management

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TkTk
Yeah I've done the M&G video interview, but a few weeks ago :/ Also waiting on JPM, Blackrock, Fidelity, Goldman & Aberdeen for asset management

Posted from TSR Mobile

M&G is usually quite slow in reviewing all the intws, so I would not bother too much about that. :smile:
Reply 8
M&G is usually quite slow in reviewing all the intws, so I would not bother too much about that. :smile:

Have you applied before? Are you also applying for AM positions atm?
Reply 9
Original post by TkTk
Have you applied before? Are you also applying for AM positions atm?

yep I interned there last summer. and nope I am not applying since I secured a grad offer. :smile:
Reply 10
yep I interned there last summer. and nope I am not applying since I secured a grad offer. :smile:

Wow, well done, I'm very impressed :smile:
Does anybody have advice on what to expect during the M&G video interview?

Also, has anybody heard anything from Blackrock or JP Morgan AM?
Reply 12
Original post by BillGross

As someone suggested in the other thread, the M&G video interview is essentially a competency interview similar to what you'd put on your CV, with an extra question in there to throw you off. Can't say I think I did well one mine by any means :'(

No news form Blackrock! But they were only offering their summer interns recently so doubt they'll get back to people too quickly.

JP Morgan asked for me to do tests, after a bit of a wait, but no news since. What about you?
Reply 13

What about Janus capital Bill? :biggrin:
Reply 14

Janus offer internships in the UK?!

Failed the online tests for Janus I'm afraid :frown:

I'd spent a hell of a lot of time building my profile and trying to network my way in too......
Original post by TkTk
As someone suggested in the other thread, the M&G video interview is essentially a competency interview similar to what you'd put on your CV, with an extra question in there to throw you off. Can't say I think I did well one mine by any means :'(

No news form Blackrock! But they were only offering their summer interns recently so doubt they'll get back to people too quickly.

JP Morgan asked for me to do tests, after a bit of a wait, but no news since. What about you?

Ah okay, doesn't sound too bad then, thanks for your help!

I only submitted my Blackrock and JP Morgan applications this week but I'm yet to hear anything back from either . I also plan on sending Schroders and Fidelity off tonight (I'm pretty far behind.....)

The Schroders application form is so excessive. Eight 200 word questions!?
Reply 17
Failed the online tests for Janus I'm afraid :frown:

I'd spent a hell of a lot of time building my profile and trying to network my way in too......

Sorry to hear it, it sounds like you deserved it! Was this for the Summer Equities Research position over in the US (Denver)?
Original post by TkTk
Sorry to hear it, it sounds like you deserved it! Was this for the Summer Equities Research position over in the US (Denver)?

Haha I think sertur91's Janus reference may have went over your head.

Check out my username.....and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/26/bill-gross-quits-pimco-janus-capital
Reply 19
Haha I think sertur91's Janus reference may have went over your head.

Check out my username.....and this:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/26/bill-gross-quits-pimco-janus-capital

Bahaha I actually did read that but forgot what the guys name was ( I'm awful with names :frown: )

So did you submit Schroders in the end? I'm still working my way through, roughly half way haha... There's still plenty of time for them I think :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending