The Student Room Group

Healthcare Science - 2015 Entry

As far as I can see there is no existing thread for those wanting to study any of the Healthcare Science disciplines for 2015 entry, so here goes!

What universities are people considering applying to? What is it about the course that appeals to people? It would be interesting to hear your views! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was wondering when a thread for this would pop up! I want to apply for the physiological sciences discipline and I think I'm going for SGUL, Middlesex, Southampton, Anglia Ruskin and either MMU or UWE. What attracts me to the course is my love for human biology, especially the cardiac and respiratory systems. It's also a job that involves patient contact which is something that I definitely want. It's difficult to put into words, but I know i'm 100% sure about it!
Reply 2
Yay, I'm pretty much the same as you! The scientific aspect of the course appeals to me, but I like the idea of having plenty of patient contact as well; I'd feel like I was really making a difference!

I'm interested in the physiological sciences as well, I'm probably going to go for Leeds, Southampton, Swansea, Plymouth and one other which I haven't decided on yet haha.
Reply 3
I am also interested in physiological sciences and planning to go for Southampton, St georges, Hertfordshire, Portsmouth and Plymouth

Don't mind be asking what grades are you guys predicted?
I'm applying for Audiology at Leeds university,Swansea, southampton, middlesex and manchester , like many on here I find the clinical aspect really appealing and i wanted to study something which was more biology based compared to things like pharmacy.
Reply 5
Original post by skk97
Don't mind be asking what grades are you guys predicted?

AAB, yourself? :smile:
Reply 6
How are people doing with their UCAS applications for Healthcare Science? :smile: has anyone finished their personal statements, visited any universities or sent their application off?

I've visited the universities of Plymouth and the West of England this week and will be going to see Leeds in a couple of weeks!
Reply 7
I'm thinking of applying for Audiology, looking at the universities in the south of England for logistical reasons. I've visited Middlesex and Southampton.
Reply 8
Original post by haseebi82
How was southampton, I'm thinking of trying clearing for that as I have already sent my UCAS application off for, middlesex,leeds,manchester,swansea and de montfort

I was very impressed with Southampton (and Middlesex). How did you choose your 5 unis?
Hi all, I'm a first year cardiac physiologist at Southampton, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by sam_town1
Hi all, I'm a first year cardiac physiologist at Southampton, if you've got any questions, feel free to ask me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi
What entry grades did you get in with currently ABB and did this course go into clearing at all
Whats the accommodation like , is it expensive
Whats the 1st year been like eg hard, placements etc
Original post by BoboG
Hi
What entry grades did you get in with currently ABB and did this course go into clearing at all
Whats the accommodation like , is it expensive
Whats the 1st year been like eg hard, placements etc

Entry requirements - I got A*A*A (although a coursemate fell short slightly and still got in - I think the interview swings admissions a bit, if they like you, they'll take you). As for clearing, I don't know if it went on clearing or not.
Accommodation is expensive, I'm in an ensuite room at Glen Eyre halls, and that's costing me just over £5k, I'm in one of the older buildings in the complex and it's not that great, but 'it'll do'.
Course wise, the uni is struggling at times as we're the largest group they've had for the course, but the course in general is good, the first year so far is slight expansion on A-Level, but we get a lot of practicals (1-2 a week) ranging from simple microscopy, anatomy labs on cadavers to performing ECG's on models the university hires.
We've not been told the dates of our placements yet but we get 1 day in December ('taster day'), 2 weeks in January after exams, 4 weeks after Easter and 4 weeks in late August/early September (course is a winter graduation by the way).
I know the course structure is being changed for next year so I don't know if it will compare to what we're doing now, but I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Anyone applying to MMU and has anyone been to any interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, have you had any assignments or exams so far? If so what were they based on?
- Also when you were at the interview stage, what type of questions were you asked and were you required to take an English and maths test?
- What other unis did you apply to and do you remember what their offers were?
- From what you've learned so far, do you think the job would entail as much patient contact as they say it does?
- Also, when are the holiday breaks and how long are they?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello again :smile: Are there many lectures on the course, or is the majority of the teaching through practicals and small group sessions?
Reply 15
Entry requirements - I got A*A*A (although a coursemate fell short slightly and still got in - I think the interview swings admissions a bit, if they like you, they'll take you). As for clearing, I don't know if it went on clearing or not.
Accommodation is expensive, I'm in an ensuite room at Glen Eyre halls, and that's costing me just over £5k, I'm in one of the older buildings in the complex and it's not that great, but 'it'll do'.
Course wise, the uni is struggling at times as we're the largest group they've had for the course, but the course in general is good, the first year so far is slight expansion on A-Level, but we get a lot of practicals (1-2 a week) ranging from simple microscopy, anatomy labs on cadavers to performing ECG's on models the university hires.
We've not been told the dates of our placements yet but we get 1 day in December ('taster day'), 2 weeks in January after exams, 4 weeks after Easter and 4 weeks in late August/early September (course is a winter graduation by the way).
I know the course structure is being changed for next year so I don't know if it will compare to what we're doing now, but I hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

Just wondering why the student satisfaction is low for healthcare science at Southampton compared to other universities as this shows on unistats and other websites as it is the lowest out of alot of uni's. Could you shed any light on this

Thanks
Reply 16
Original post by ayeeel
I'm thinking of applying for Audiology, looking at the universities in the south of England for logistical reasons. I've visited Middlesex and Southampton.

Hi
How was middlesex and southampton
Reply 17
Very impressed by both of them, though they had a different feel, although the course is the same.
Reply 18
Original post by ayeeel
Very impressed by both of them, though they had a different feel, although the course is the same.

Just a thought but Southampton student reviews for this course are quite low on Unistats compared to other uni's and this is a top ranking uni. This is what i am a bit worried about bit did you get a feel for how the course is taught
Reply 19
Original post by BoboG
Just a thought but Southampton student reviews for this course are quite low on Unistats compared to other uni's and this is a top ranking uni. This is what i am a bit worried about bit did you get a feel for how the course is taught

The course at Southampton (and also Middlesex) is taught 3 days a week. Not sure if all Audiology courses are taught like this? Lots of placements in all 3 years. There were definite similarities between Middlesex & Southampton and I wonder how prescriptive the requirements for Healthcare Science (Audiology) are, and how much the courses actually vary.

I hadn't looked at Unistats before. I've just had a look and although I can find lots of Audiology courses on there, I can't find Southampton. Am still looking, but if you have a link, that would be really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest