The Student Room Group

Over-optimistic predicted grades?

Anyone know how top 20 unis would view someone being predicted two grades above their AS grade in a subject, if that grade is definitely under-par (for whatever reason) when compared to previous academic achievements, and both the school and student are confident that they can achieve the predicted grade? As in would they think that the person underachieved and is probably capable, or that the teachers are lying simply to make the student more likely to receive an offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Without extenuating circumstances, it will probably look unrealistic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I was got AACC at AS, was predicted A*AA and got offers from York, southampton, Durham and Cambridge. I got into Cambridge with A*AA (with the A* in one of the subjects I got a C in!) so my prediction of 2 grades above (C to A) was realistic and didn't seem to impact on my offers that much. I underachieved in my psych AS due to teaching problems and my school recognised that I could do much better at A2, hence the higher prediction. I think if there's a reasonable explanation then a higher prediction is alright, but otherwise the admissions tutors are likely to think the school is being optimistic. That's my experience, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I got AAAA at AS this year, with 100% in my A Level geography and I've been predicted an A* for it this year - like you I'm worried what impact that will have.
I have heard some unis don't offer below predicted grades - gulp!
is an AAB prediction unrealistic from BBCC? (carrying on BCC)
Reply 5
Original post by RosieEPQ
I was got AACC at AS, was predicted A*AA and got offers from York, southampton, Durham and Cambridge. I got into Cambridge with A*AA (with the A* in one of the subjects I got a C in!) so my prediction of 2 grades above (C to A) was realistic and didn't seem to impact on my offers that much. I underachieved in my psych AS due to teaching problems and my school recognised that I could do much better at A2, hence the higher prediction. I think if there's a reasonable explanation then a higher prediction is alright, but otherwise the admissions tutors are likely to think the school is being optimistic. That's my experience, anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you don't mind me asking how you got an offer from Cambridge with AACC - it says on their website that 85% or below in three AS would be less likely to be considered. Really amazing offers and grades btw
Reply 6
Original post by iKrA97
If you don't mind me asking how you got an offer from Cambridge with AACC - it says on their website that 85% or below in three AS would be less likely to be considered. Really amazing offers and grades btw

I'm not entirely sure to be honest...I guess they liked my PS/interview and were sympathetic to the fact that I had slight extenuating circumstances. I suppose the fact that I applied for Education with MML (French) helped too, as it's not a hugely oversubscribed course :tongue:
Reply 7
I'm not entirely sure to be honest...I guess they liked my PS/interview and were sympathetic to the fact that I had slight extenuating circumstances. I suppose the fact that I applied for Education with MML (French) helped too, as it's not a hugely oversubscribed course :tongue:

Yeah having a really good personal statement really does help you :smile: That's a great course too- good luck at Uni :biggrin:
Original post by darius89
I got AAAA at AS this year, with 100% in my A Level geography and I've been predicted an A* for it this year - like you I'm worried what impact that will have.

You are joking, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

what college/year are you in?
Reply 9
Original post by Guills on wheels
You are joking, right?

I'm going to Homerton starting in 2015 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
You are joking, right?

I'm not joking, actually! An admissions tutor I spoke to on a Sutton Trust summer school said his uni never made offers below predicted grades - so I'm worried if I can't get an A* I might be screwed!
I'm going to Homerton starting in 2015 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah nice one! deferred entry, then?

my gf's at medwards, but she started this year.

Original post by darius89
I'm not joking, actually! An admissions tutor I spoke to on a Sutton Trust summer school said his uni never made offers below predicted grades - so I'm worried if I can't get an A* I might be screwed!

oh, I thought you meant that you were worried that the teachers were predicting you too high a grade with the A* when you got 100% ums :')

having said that, 100% UMS puts you in a great position for the A*, and many unis will be lenient. also, it'd be pretty unfair for unis to offer much higher than what they give as their grade requirements.
ah nice one! deferred entry, then?

my gf's at medwards, but she started this year.

Ahh cool :smile: yeah I'm on a gap year right now x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh cool :smile: yeah I'm on a gap year right now x

Posted from TSR Mobile

whatcha doing?
whatcha doing?

I'm working in a school :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending