The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

I got an A*AB prediction and i'm worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer for an A*AA course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skill Twix
Ah I am applying for Economics.Still undecided where to apply though.Considering KCL/UCL,Warwick,Manchester,Bath/Bristol and some other uni.Any help.
P.S Got an A in Economics and B's in Maths,Physics and ICT(AS levels)

there's a big difference between kcl and ucl just to let you know, I think Manchester and kcl should be fine (depending on your predictions), bath and Bristol may be a possibility but warwick and ucl are super competitive and may be a bit out of your reach if you've got a B in AS maths :frown:
Original post by NinjaPandaa
there's a big difference between kcl and ucl just to let you know, I think Manchester and kcl should be fine (depending on your predictions), bath and Bristol may be a possibility but warwick and ucl are super competitive and may be a bit out of your reach if you've got a B in AS maths :frown:

My predictions are possibly 2 A*s and an A(Resitting Maths).I'll still push myself for another A*.Warwick wants at least an A in Maths(UCL on the other hand wants an A*).Any other universities I can apply to?
I think I'll do Bachelors at Manchester and do my Masters at LSE!
My predictions are possibly 2 A*s and an A(Resitting Maths).I'll still push myself for another A*.Warwick wants at least an A in Maths(UCL on the other hand wants an A*).Any other universities I can apply to?
I think I'll do Bachelors at Manchester and do my Masters at LSE!

I only said Warwick and UCL may be a bit of stretch purely because they're so competitive rather than you not being able to get the grades if that makes sense?

So you've got bath or Bristol which are A*AA
KCL is AAA right?
And Manchester is AAB

I'd say maybe another AAA and another AAB - heres a list of them http://www.entryrequirements.com/economics (most of it seems to be pretty accurate although I'd suggest checking the unis yourself after you've
looked at the list)

hope that helped :smile:
I only said Warwick and UCL may be a bit of stretch purely because they're so competitive rather than you not being able to get the grades if that makes sense?

So you've got bath or Bristol which are A*AA
KCL is AAA right?
And Manchester is AAB

I'd say maybe another AAA and another AAB - heres a list of them http://www.entryrequirements.com/economics (most of it seems to be pretty accurate although I'd suggest checking the unis yourself after you've
looked at the list)

hope that helped :smile:

Isn't KCL A*AA?Ah,I am aware that UCL and Warwick are really competitive.My friends told me I've got a better chance of getting into Warwick than UCL.
Original post by spyrogyra
I got an A*AB prediction and i'm worried it will affect my chances of getting an offer for an A*AA course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*AA is usually the minimum
Isn't KCL A*AA?Ah,I am aware that UCL and Warwick are really competitive.My friends told me I've got a better chance of getting into Warwick than UCL.

Oh ok I wasn't sure if it was economics and management or political economy you were after, yeah and warwick is less competitive but still pretty competitive

I'd stand by going for an AAA and an AAB though
Oh ok I wasn't sure if it was economics and management or political economy you were after, yeah and warwick is less competitive but still pretty competitive

I'd stand by going for an AAA and an AAB though

I'll still go for an A*AA.I'll apply to AAA and AAB unis.Warwick is till a pretty chance!
I'll still go for an A*AA.I'll apply to AAA and AAB unis.Warwick is till a pretty chance!

Oh yeah obviously if youre applying to Bristol/Bath/Warwick they're all A*AA, I meant for your undecided ones :smile:
Does anyone know if there are any advantages if studying in London in terms of graduate prospects?
Can't decide between Birmingham and qmul
Oh yeah obviously if youre applying to Bristol/Bath/Warwick they're all A*AA, I meant for your undecided ones :smile:

Ah thanks for your help!Hope I get the offers XD
Original post by feli_a
Hi everyone, I live in Spain and I will be applying for 2015 undergraduate degrees in England more specifically I would like to study Economics.

At the moment I'm doing my A-levels of Math, Physics, and Economics, and my predicted grades are A*AA/A*AB (the B is for physics). I'm deciding to which 5 universities should I apply. Could anyone help with my choices?? For example: Is QMUL a good choice? Better do just Economics or a joint-honours degree, like Economics and Finance, or Economics, Finance and management?

Thank you!

Hi! :biggrin:

Well with the whole which degree you want to do you'll have to think about what you'd be happiest spending 3 years of your life studying, so I'd suggest looking at a few prospectuses and then deciding :smile:

Then for which unis I'm assuming you haven't visited many of them if you're from spain? Would you prefer to be in the city e.g. London or somewhere a bit quieter e.g. Warwick?
Personally with your predictions I'd apply to 2 A*AA, 2 AAA and AAB, particularly if you can be predicted A*AA. QMUL is AAB I think so that may actually be a bit of a low expectation, and with an A*AA prediction there are plenty of other universities available to you :redface:

Just out of curiosity did you sit another AS level as some of the top ones require an additional AS (Warwick etc.)?
Original post by feli_a
Yeah, I agree! At the end of the day is what you enjoy what matters.

No, I haven't had the chance to visit any univesities:frown:...I would prefer to be in the city. What universities in England would be the top 10 for Economics? Well, the Guardian's ranking by subject of 2015 http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2014/jun/03/university-guide-2015-league-table-for-economics says that QMUL is the 4th best following Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick for Economics.

Yes, I did sit another AS level :smile:.... Thanks for the advice!!

Personally I'd have thought lse and ucl are better, those two, Oxbridge and warwick are sort of known as being consistently in the top 5, you've also got Bristol which is a great city and nottingham and bath are campuses but they're also close to the cities and they're pretty good too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 453
Personally I'd have thought lse and ucl are better, those two, Oxbridge and warwick are sort of known as being consistently in the top 5, you've also got Bristol which is a great city and nottingham and bath are campuses but they're also close to the cities and they're pretty good too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

and apart from LSE and UCL in London? If you had to choose between QMUL and Bath which would you choose?

As well concerning my PS.. how many books should I mention?
Original post by feli_a
and apart from LSE and UCL in London? If you had to choose between QMUL and Bath which would you choose?

As well concerning my PS.. how many books should I mention?

Honestly I always though Bath was better but that might be me stereotyping, I never really looked into the London unis tbh...

Erm between 2 and 4 maybe, you don't want to just skim through them like I read this this and this, it wants to be more of what you learnt from them, and if you do that you cant write about more than a few within the character limit
Reply 455
Honestly I always though Bath was better but that might be me stereotyping, I never really looked into the London unis tbh...

Erm between 2 and 4 maybe, you don't want to just skim through them like I read this this and this, it wants to be more of what you learnt from them, and if you do that you cant write about more than a few within the character limit

Okay good.
To what uni have/are you gone/going?

thanks
Reply 456
Just sent my application omg :biggrin:

good luck! where did you apply to?
Original post by feli_a
Okay good.
To what uni have/are you gone/going?

thanks

Original post by tabim26
good luck! where did you apply to?

I sent my application last night, and I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham and Leeds

So weird to think I've actually applied now :O
I sent my application last night, and I've applied to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham, Nottingham and Leeds

So weird to think I've actually applied now :O

Which college did you apply to? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
Which college did you apply to? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Queens :biggrin: have you applied to cambridge too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending