The Student Room Group

He Likes "Cool" Hipster Girls - Waste Of Time?

I fancy someone I know, but his taste in girls is so different to me I'm wondering if it's worth going for it or if I should leave it. He's not my usual "type" (I usually date guys who are quite similiar to me, but he's the stereotypical very academic type of medical student and I'm considering trying out someone a bit different).

He's really into electronic music and the hipster scene, and I think he has a type in women too. Most of his exes have been quite "quirky," "artsy" and "alternative" kinds of girls who liked to smoke, went to all the unknown clubs and knew how to "talk hipstery" and discuss electronic music. On the other hand, I am quite conformist in most ways (sporty, girly, very un-hipster etc.) and my taste in music is very mainstream. I don't know anything about art either.

They've also looked very different to me (short hair or bobs, sometimes coloured or really highlighted, and a "stand-out," "different" and "cool" look too - lots of ripped band T-shirts and so forth). I look the complete opposite (without sounding arrogant, I'm fairly physically attractive in the "stereotypical", boring, Hollywood way - long hair, slim, nice face - but my look is very classic and unimaginative - I wear a lot of skirts and dresses - and I don't look half as "cool" or unique as any of his exes).

I'm not changing for him, obviously, but do you think it's worth asking him out if he seems to have such an obvious taste in women that's different to me?
Original post by Anonymous
I fancy someone I know, but his taste in girls is so different to me I'm wondering if it's worth going for it or if I should leave it. He's not my usual "type" (I usually date guys who are quite similiar to me, but he's the stereotypical very academic type of medical student and I'm considering trying out someone a bit different).

He's really into electronic music and the hipster scene, and I think he has a type in women too. Most of his exes have been quite "quirky," "artsy" and "alternative" kinds of girls who liked to smoke, went to all the unknown clubs and knew how to "talk hipstery" and discuss electronic music. On the other hand, I am quite conformist in most ways (sporty, girly, very un-hipster etc.) and my taste in music is very mainstream. I don't know anything about art either.

They've also looked very different to me (short hair or bobs, sometimes coloured or really highlighted, and a "stand-out," "different" and "cool" look too - lots of ripped band T-shirts and so forth). I look the complete opposite (without sounding arrogant, I'm fairly physically attractive in the "stereotypical", boring, Hollywood way - long hair, slim, nice face - but my look is very classic and unimaginative - I wear a lot of skirts and dresses - and I don't look half as "cool" or unique as any of his exes).

I'm not changing for him, obviously, but do you think it's worth asking him out if he seems to have such an obvious taste in women that's different to me?

You sound like the dream girl for most guys tbh, including myself aha.

In my opinion, you should go for it. If he is interested and then you feel there isn't a connection, then you can tell him that and take it from there. If things don't work out, at least you tried ? Just don't get yourself to in to him too soon if you're not sure how things are going to work out. But definitely don't change yourself, there are loads of guys who would kill for someone like you ( judging by your description of yourself )

Hope this helps.
A lot of men prefer blondes, but if a hot brunette asks them out, most of them would say 'yes.'

Preferences in terms of appearance are fickle and often change as one gets older so if you guys have some chemistry then just go for it.

EDIT: And never compare yourself to someone's ex. They're his ex for a reason after all. :top:
Reply 3
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
You sound like the dream girl for most guys tbh, including myself aha.

In my opinion, you should go for it. If he is interested and then you feel there isn't a connection, then you can tell him that and take it from there. If things don't work out, at least you tried ? Just don't get yourself to in to him too soon if you're not sure how things are going to work out. But definitely don't change yourself, there are loads of guys who would kill for someone like you ( judging by your description of yourself )

Hope this helps.

That was really helpful, thanks :smile:

Yeah, I guess so. Usually I would just "go for it," but he has a bit of an odd sense of humour sometimes lol (it's a bit sarcastic/mean), so I wasn't sure whether I wanted to risk it or not as we live quite close by and I have to see him quite a bit (might be awkward if it didn't work out). I do get my fair share of attention from guys more similiar to me, but I don't know if I want to try dating someone different or not :donknow:
Reply 4
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
A lot of men prefer blondes, but if a hot brunette asks them out, most of them would say 'yes.'

Preferences in terms of appearance are fickle and often change as one gets older so if you guys have some chemistry then just go for it.

EDIT: And never compare yourself to someone's ex. They're his ex for a reason after all. :top:

Yeah, that's true :lol: (I'm actually brunette, though, and I wouldn't want to date anyone if I was second best to blondes in his mind TBH).

He just seems to have such a consistent type, though :s-smilie: Maybe it's because he's very "alternative" and mostly just hangs out with the other med students and the Electronic Music society people - I guess in some ways it's easier for more "mainstream" people to date as they have more interests in common with people. But "hipsters" seem to prefer their own kind anyway.
Reply 5
Yeah, that's true :lol: (I'm actually brunette, though, and I wouldn't want to date anyone if I was second best to blondes in his mind TBH).

He just seems to have such a consistent type, though :s-smilie: Maybe it's because he's very "alternative" and mostly just hangs out with the other med students and the Electronic Music society people - I guess in some ways it's easier for more "mainstream" people to date as they have more interests in common with people. But "hipsters" seem to prefer their own kind anyway.

What's your degree?
Reply 6
Original post by nohomo
What's your degree?

Economics. I met him through mutual friends.

You've got no chance, guys all hate the stereotypically attractive girls, they're the worst.

Seriously, you're way overthinking this, especially with the ex-girlfriends, it could well be a coincidence, I mean surely there aren't that many that you've got a big data set?

Forming a connection with someone isn't about ticking a load of boxes and fitting a profile, it's much more emotional and unpredictable. Often opposites do attract. Yes, he's been out with a lot of these girls, but they haven't worked out, so maybe he'd actually fit better with someone like you.

There's nothing there that indicates you shouldn't go for it.
Reply 8
Original post by Mankytoes
You've got no chance, guys all hate the stereotypically attractive girls, they're the worst.

TBH, some hipsters (which he is) do honestly hate conformist people, which I am :lol:

Seriously, you're way overthinking this, especially with the ex-girlfriends, it could well be a coincidence, I mean surely there aren't that many that you've got a big data set?

Forming a connection with someone isn't about ticking a load of boxes and fitting a profile, it's much more emotional and unpredictable. Often opposites do attract. Yes, he's been out with a lot of these girls, but they haven't worked out, so maybe he'd actually fit better with someone like you.

There's nothing there that indicates you shouldn't go for it.

There are about 5 or 6 exes (known him for a few years. Some of his friends at school who are here also say he has a definite "type").

I'm just worried about risking myself like this, I guess... unfortunately, he does have the stereotypical hipster "mean/snarky" sense of humour at times. As much as I might want to try dating him, I'm not sure if he's a nice enough person that I want to take this kind of chance unless I'm sure there's a reasonable chance he might be interested back.

Thanks btw. :smile:
Reply 9
Bump :smile:
And you fancy him because...?
Original post by Awesome-o
And you fancy him because...?

Interesting, why do you reckon he's unfanciable?
Interesting, why do you reckon he's unfanciable?

Just go for it honestly, you seem really attracted to him.

If it doesn't work out, then move on.
Just go for it honestly, you seem really attracted to him.

If it doesn't work out, then move on.

I wouldn't say I am TBH :lol: (not to sound harsh, but he's not one of those really friendly dudes one fancies ASAP).

I'll probably think over it a bit more (without being annoying - he's sarcastic enough sometimes that I don't want to give him an excuse to be more so :P)
I wouldn't say I am TBH :lol: (not to sound harsh, but he's not one of those really friendly dudes one fancies ASAP).

I'll probably think over it a bit more (without being annoying - he's sarcastic enough sometimes that I don't want to give him an excuse to be more so :P)

I'm a very sarcastic guy also. Sarcastic guys means they fancy you. Honestly, go for it xD
I'm a very sarcastic guy also. Sarcastic guys means they fancy you. Honestly, go for it xD

I'll take your word for it lol :lol:
I'll take your word for it lol :lol:

Let me know how it goes :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let me know how it goes :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will do :biggrin:
What would you define as the hipster' look??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending