The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by So Instinct
Do you guys recommend Gotham?

I definately recommend it. First two episodes have been great so far and loving how everything is developing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deshi
See my quote in the last reply. The show is so unbalanced making it a bore to watch unless you have a bunch of episodes lined up so you can fast forward the **** ones. Haven't really rated the show since season 1 finished. Same with Homeland. Drab shows.

Person of Interest is great, it's something I go back to every now and then, but I do skip the episodic parts (the save of the week basically), ain't nobody got time for that.

I do agree to an extent - TWD has some absolutely amazing episodes but ten also has some real snoozefests.
But isn't that exactly what breaking bad was like?

Not even joking, mid way through the breaking bad seasons I got so bored that I stopped watching it altogether.

Person of interest is by far my favourite ever tv show.
It's a shame not a great deal of people watch it because they're seriously missing out (no bias).

It's extremely rare to find a show nowadays that can still be this strong after a full 3 seasons (and beginning a 4th).
It has definitely changed over the seasons, but that's just clever progression that was absolutely essential so as not to make it excessively repetitive.

The main attraction of POI to me is simply that it is different; it has general action and shooting but the entire concept and main theme around the show is very clever and unique.
Last night reminded me why I hate going out in London. Tried getting into Cargo with a poor attempt at trying to make our group look smaller, but they clocked us and after half n hour queuing up they sent us packing when we finally reached the door, bunch of pricks, could have told us in the queue if they weren't going to let us in instead of making out that we were too drunk, as a result we also missed entry into xoyo who had Just Blaze down, fukin hell.

Original post by Lúcio
I do agree to an extent - TWD has some absolutely amazing episodes but ten also has some real snoozefests.
But isn't that exactly what breaking bad was like?

Not even joking, mid way through the breaking bad seasons I got so bored that I stopped watching it altogether.

Person of interest is by far my favourite ever tv show.
It's a shame not a great deal of people watch it because they're seriously missing out (no bias).

It's extremely rare to find a show nowadays that can still be this strong after a full 3 seasons (and beginning a 4th).
It has definitely changed over the seasons, but that's just clever progression that was absolutely essential so as not to make it excessively repetitive.

The main attraction of POI to me is simply that it is different; it has general action and shooting but the entire concept and main theme around the show is very clever and unique.

I'm not a huge BB fan myself so that point does';t really hold with me :wink:

BB is a good show clearly, looking at it from a technical point of view with the acting/writing/directing etc, but I thought it started pretty poorly, and even from a technical standpoint it doesn;t reach the likes of The Wire/True Detective. I actually watched the first season when it first came out and wasn't very popular, and the lack of popularity wasn't surprising at all because the first season is a 7/10, just one prolonged pilot. I only gave it another chance due to how popular it got and it was pretty good, but I'm in the camp that thinks it's overrated as hell.

POI is original, I like it quite a bit, it could do with being more serialized though and less episodic.

Edit:

Yeezy absolutely killed it. Was halfway through the video when I realised I hadn;t confirmed my FF changes, damn

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6603
Original post by Deshi
Last night reminded me why I hate going out in London. Tried getting into Cargo with a poor attempt at trying to make our group look smaller, but they clocked us and after half n hour queuing up they sent us packing when we finally reached the door, bunch of pricks, could have told us in the queue if they weren't going to let us in instead of making out that we were too drunk, as a result we also missed entry into xoyo who had Just Blaze down, fukin hell.

You went all the way to Central to go to Cargo:confused:

fuark those queues around Cargo can be madness tho.

idk, unless you're into that whole Shoreditch vibe, much better places to go than Cargo

where did you end up going then?
Original post by Deshi

I'm not a huge BB fan myself so that point does';t really hold with me :wink:

BB is a good show clearly, looking at it from a technical point of view with the acting/writing/directing etc, but I thought it started pretty poorly, and even from a technical standpoint it doesn;t reach the likes of The Wire/True Detective. I actually watched the first season when it first came out and wasn't very popular, and the lack of popularity wasn't surprising at all because the first season is a 7/10, just one prolonged pilot. I only gave it another chance due to how popular it got and it was pretty good, but I'm in the camp that thinks it's overrated as hell.

POI is original, I like it quite a bit, it could do with being more serialized though and less episodic.

I've never really understood why breaking bad became a worldwide sensation to be honest.
But who knows?
I only watched it because I wanted to have at least seen something that everybody else would talk about.

POI development was very tough it then did it 9/10.
They couldn't have john and finch saving a different person every episode for 3 seasons, or it would be predictable and boring.
So they added Carter to the group, then shaw and now root/bear and set up a variety of larger, more unpredictable threats.

I'm a little worried they'll kill off john/finch at some point if the main character roster increases more.
Although that would be very bold and probably the only mistake they'd ever make with that show.
Carter dying was sad but perfect - a big enough character to be a shock, but it didn't destroy the show like it would if john or finch were killed off.
Original post by swarly
You went all the way to Central to go to Cargo:confused:

fuark those queues around Cargo can be madness tho.

idk, unless you're into that whole Shoreditch vibe, much better places to go than Cargo

where did you end up going then?

I'm not a Londoner, we were originally going to go xoyo because Just Blaze was there but then some mates came along who don;t like hip-hop so decided on Cargo instead. One of my other mates was being an absolute idiot due to too much drink and barely any bars let us in, it was like half 12 at this point so we got a kebab and just chilled and caught the last train home. Could have gone Camden but no-one could be ****ed by that point after queuing and walking around for ages, will next time though probably.
Reply 6606
Original post by Lúcio
I've never really understood why breaking bad became a worldwide sensation to be honest.
But who knows?

we all have a little walter white within us.

ngl didnt read the rest.

the way everyone was even rooting for the bad guy:moon:

i miss BB.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6607
Original post by Deshi
I'm not a Londoner, we were originally going to go xoyo because Just Blaze was there but then some mates came along who don;t like hip-hop so decided on Cargo instead. One of my other mates was being an absolute idiot due to too much drink and barely any bars let us in, it was like half 12 at this point so we got a kebab and just chilled and caught the last train home. Could have gone Camden but no-one could be ****ed by that point after queuing and walking around for ages, will next time though probably.

pro tip: if you find you cant get in anywhere, hit up Fabric. they will let anyone in.

and did you travel from Liverpool? fuark thats far.
Original post by Deshi

Yeezy absolutely killed it. Was halfway through the video when I realised I hadn;t confirmed my FF changes, damn

Solid performance. Top selection of songs too. Would love to see him live, wonder when he's next touring UK.
Original post by swarly
pro tip: if you find you cant get in anywhere, hit up Fabric. they will let anyone in.

and did you travel from Liverpool? fuark thats far.

Nah, who would come down from Liverpool for one night :biggrin:

Thing is my mate is a Londoner (Spurs season ticket holder and he's obnoxious as hell when it comes to football, Zurich would love him) so whenever we meet (uni friends) it's always London.

Original post by Isometrix
Solid performance. Top selection of songs too. Would love to see him live, wonder when he's next touring UK.

Yeah that's what made it awesome. Yeezus grew on me but when Diamonds from Sierra Leone and All Falls Down come on >>>

I definitely need to see him live. The set list to the Yeezus tour looked so good but he didn't come here. In hindsight I should have tried harder for WTT tickets.
Reply 6610
dont count on Ye doing a tour anytime soon here. he's trying to launch his fashion label. and not some hip hop clothing line like Rocawear, a proper fashion label on par with Ralph Lauren and Zara in terms of size (his examples).

wouldnt be surprised if he didnt make another album too. he also said its important to change your career every 10 years.

listen to the zane lowe interview.
Original post by Deshi

Yeah that's what made it awesome. Yeezus grew on me but when Diamonds from Sierra Leone and All Falls Down come on >>>

I definitely need to see him live. The set list to the Yeezus tour looked so good but he didn't come here. In hindsight I should have tried harder for WTT tickets.

Same took me ages to get into Yeezus, it was just too different to the Kanye I grew up listening to. Even started liking Bound 2 now lol. Still don't think I'd go to a Yeezus only tour, it would have to be something like the performance above where he spits out his old stuff :biggrin: Saying that MBDTF is probably my fav album.
Kanye's got a single coming out any day now.

Graduation is his best album I think. 'Big Brother' is so cringe though.

Graduation > Late Registration > TCD > Yeezus > 808s > MBDTF
Reply 6613
Anybody know the song brainstorm by wiz vagina? Dat beat man. How can something sound so cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The College Dropout = Late Registration > MBDTF > Graduation > Yeezus > 808
Original post by Deshi

Too much silliness on TCD to be his best album imo. There are only like three or four good tracks on it as well.
Original post by swarly
we all have a little walter white within us.

ngl didnt read the rest.

the way everyone was even rooting for the bad guy:moon:

i miss BB.

meh, the characters were awesome but i just got a little bored.

no problem, mostly about person of interest which you probably don't watch anyway :smile:
Original post by Wilfred Little
Kanye's got a single coming out any day now.

Graduation is his best album I think. 'Big Brother' is so cringe though.

Graduation > Late Registration > TCD > Yeezus > 808s > MBDTF

Original post by Deshi

Wow not much love for MBDTF. Some of the samples in it were too sick.

Still remember Graduation as the album that ruined 50 cent :biggrin:
Original post by Isometrix
Wow not much love for MBDTF. Some of the samples in it were too sick.

I don't see why that's so surprising, really. If you ignore the hype you'll see it's a decent to good album but no more than that. I get that it was well put together, and it doesn't lack the quality control that CD & LR did, but I just find it bland, and it doesn't exactly improve on the stuff he did on his first three records.

Nicki's verse is the most exciting part of the album.
We discussed this in the Arsenal thread a couple of weeks ago. A fair bit of love from MBDTF there from SUG and Swarly (not sure who's dupe that is/was). I like it, I said at the time Gorgeous is probably may favourite song and its on that album. I think its his only real return to form of late. Didn't like 808's or Yeezus.

Saw him Live ages ago on his Glow in The Dark tour. Was okay, wasn't really impressed tbh, was like 3 rows from the front and still didn't really feel the atmosphere. Saw Jay-Z a few years back, much worse position and the atmosphere was better before he'd even stepped on stage, madness when he was.

Latest