The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm bricking it lads.
Original post by Zürich
End of the day, I think being an Arsenal fan who grew up very very locally who hasnt missed many matches over the years probably gives me a different perspective to people on here who just picked a team from the other end of the country who just see football as a wee bit of entertainment. Doesnt bother me in the slightest whether people think it's wrong or right to slaughter ex-players, that's my privilege as someone who's very emotionally invested in the club.

Secondly, football is clearly not just a normal job. You dont get 60,000 people singing your name, worrying about your performances every week, supporting you etc in an office job do you? You dont get 5 year old kids queuing up for hours to get your autograph after work do you? Players owe these people something, obviously. If you were there when Thierry Henry scored against Leeds or when Tony Adams played his first match after getting out of jail then you know that there are emotional and almost spiritual connections between fans and the players.

Finally, to criticise Arsenal fans for being bitter over losing players when no other English club has come close to seeing so many of their heros betray them is idiotic. What's happened over the last 9 years to Arsenal would be similar to Liverpool fans seeing Gerrard at Chelsea, Suarez at Utd, Xabi Alonso at Arsenal and 3 or 4 others on top. Chelsea fans giving it the big one about giving 35 year old Lampard a good reception as if that's comparable in any way to what Arsenal fans have seen over the years.

Do me a favour.

Tbh I could understand it more had Fabregas chose Chelsea over Arsenal but he had no option in the matter unless because you didn't buy him and to ask him not to go to his best other option and lower his quality of life because of some petty rivalry is pathetic and selfish.

Football may not be a normal job for you but that's because you're engrossed in the semi cultish' behavior. There will be many players who grows up abroad and have no feeling for a random English club and to them it's just a job.

Whether someone sings your name/asks you for your photograph or not makes no difference to some, the people I work for could adore me but at the end of the day my sole purpose is to improve my quality of life and if another firm offers me a better job with more accolades to come with I'd be a fool not to because of these hypocrites who like me while I bring them success but would turn on me if my performance dropped or I didn't work for them.

Players don't owe the club a single thing because the club only want them to bring the club success, why should a player be loyal to a club if a club wouldn't be loyal to a player. You only chant his name because he brings you success and you will only do it until someone better comes along after that you wouldn't care about him, so why is it then unfair for a player to hold the same type of attitude. He'll play and work hard for you while he can't find something better.

I'm criticizing Arsenal fans because I see it in Arsenal fans more than any other- whether there is a reason for it or not it still exists and the attitude still stinks. Football is just business to some, get over it because the way your club has worked those players more often than not actually had reasons to leave and that was to play for better clubs and improve their own and their families quality of life.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I'm bricking it lads.

Chelsea are the superior team and should comfortably beat us. Forget that it's the chavs and treat it as any other game like that, anything other than a defeat is a bonus. :smile: Personally I think we might have a chance if we can score first and if Koscielny marks Costa well. We look to be finally getting some nice interplay and pace with our forward line and I think that we can score anyway so we can do alright. Maybe Ozil will feel the need to repay Wenger's faith in him over Cesc and just go in as well, who knows?

Alternatively, stick £1000 on Chelsea to win and if they do then just get a taxi to Heathrow after the game and have a little holiday to forget about it. If Arsenal win, but you lose the £1000 then youll have mixed emotions. If it's a draw then you dun goofed. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
A wise man once told me that Arsenal fans are like the ex you have that expects you not to date anyone else 5 years later.

Here is to hoping Cesc wrecks you guys tomorrow, snaps Wilsheres toothpick ankles and celebrates in front of your pathetic fans because your attitude sucks.

Original post by MagicNMedicine
Remember the Spurs fans in 2001, boasting about how they were going to make Sol's life hell, how they would make him regret it, he ended the season with a Premiership winners medal and the bittermen were left to fester in their own hatred for years ahead.

Looks like a similar fate is going to befall Zurich and his mates.

Zurich is entitled to his opinions. But it has to be said that not all if not most Arsenal fans don't share his views on Cesc, I for one and other people wish Cesc the best, at the end of the day he's just a person trying to make a living whether that's at Arsenal or at Chelsea. We do not own him. I pray our fans see sense and don't abuse/boo him etc because really, there's no need. Cesc deserves some respect from the fans of a club he spent his younger years at. Nobody should give me all this 'loyalty' crap because I'm bored of it.

Original post by Isometrix
True say. These guys deserve to be trolled tomorrow if they lose.

Bit unfair really, considering most of us have written the match off. Like I said not everyone feels the same about Cesc.
I'm bricking it lads.

I wouldn't. We've almost certainly lost before kick off unless 3 events happen (get on to them in the next paragraph), purely due to Wenger's lack of tactical awareness and injuries.

Anyway the 3 events which have to happen if we're gonna get anything out of it:

a) Costa's hamstring goes - he's gonna destroy us if not. He's just made for destroying us.

b) Welbz can get in behind Chelsea's slow defence and either directly or indirectly score or get one of their defenders sent off

c) Cesc goes missing (most likely to happen).
Original post by e aí rapaz
Why would the truth hurt me? You haven't said anything about me except for lumping me in with a few idiots who I pretty much just called idiots in the same post that you quoted.

Because when you criticize a set of fans with something that is synonymous with their fans in a general sense more often than not all of their fans become butthurt. This applies to fans of any club.
Absolutely pathetic attitude on here. Cesc has done two things:

1) Leave Arsenal for Barca. He spent 6 years at Barca and 7 at Arsenal, so they're both "home" just as much. And in those 7 years at Arsenal where he was one of the best in the league, he won 1 single FA Cup. An extremely talented player gave you 7 years of his career and got little in return, and so wanted to move to his home country and actually win something.

2) Leave Barca for Chelsea. He was forced out and his first choice was Arsenal, but Wenger (his "father figure") rejected him. He had very few options left, and even if he had the choice of any club in the world, he had no reason to be loyal to Arsenal any more.

What exactly has he done wrong here?
(edited 9 years ago)
Because when you criticize a set of fans with something that is synonymous with their fans in a general sense more often than not all of their fans become butthurt. This applies to fans of any club.

okay
Tbf quite frank I'd take a 4-0 loss right now.

I still can't make my mind up on Cesc - I wouldn't boo him, yet would't feel too bad if he went off injured.
Reply 1149
Players don't owe the club a single thing because the club only want them to bring the club success, why should a player be loyal to a club if a club wouldn't be loyal to a player. You only chant his name because he brings you success and you will only do it until someone better comes along after that you wouldn't care about him.

Exactly. Clubs and fans don't give a **** about loyal players who are "past it" in their opinion. Players should always look out for themselves or they'll just get screwed over.
Zurich is entitled to his opinions. But it has to be said that not all if not most Arsenal fans don't share his views on Cesc, I for one and other people wish Cesc the best, at the end of the day he's just a person trying to make a living whether that's at Arsenal or at Chelsea. We do not own him. I pray our fans see sense and don't abuse/boo him etc because really, there's no need. Cesc deserves some respect from the fans of a club he spent his younger years at. Nobody should give me all this 'loyalty' crap because I'm bored of it.

Bit unfair really, considering most of us have written the match off. Like I said not everyone feels the same about Cesc.

Tbf I did then go on in my next post to say that there are some great Arsenal fans and I also said it's not about trolling you guys to Iso. My intent here isn't to troll, but as someone who is money driven I can understand why a player would want to leave a club for more money.

As a guy who's been brought up by a single mother barely making ends meat money to me is more important than a bunch of cockney lads yelling my name.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by e aí rapaz
okay

Apology if it came off more aggressive than intended.
Original post by Juan Mata
Absolutely pathetic attitude on here. Cesc has done two things:

1) Leave Arsenal for Barca. He spent 6 years at Barca and 7 at Arsenal, so they're both "home" just as much. And in those 7 years at Arsenal where he was one of the best in the league, he won 1 single FA Cup. An extremely talented player gave you 7 years of his career and got little in return, and so wanted to move to his home country and actually win something.

2) Leave Barca for Chelsea. He was forced out and his first choice was Arsenal, but Wenger (his "father figure") rejected him. He had very few options left, and even if he had the choice of any club in the world, he had no reason to be loyal to Arsenal any more.

What exactly has he done wrong here?

He left us in the most disgusting of ways. The last 15 months with him was a shambles with hindsight. When Spain won the WC he didn't exactly try and get that Barca shirt off him.

You could clearly tell of the Febuary 2011 meltdown that he wanted out, and he stopped caring which was a disgrace as captain. There was THAT backheel to Messi at the Nou Camp, him jetting off to watch the Spanish Formula One on the last day of the season, and then him going on strike to force a move through to Barca by refusing to play preseason games.

I've backed him, but quite frankly with hindsight it was a vile way to go about it. Still was one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time though.
Original post by Zürich
Chelsea are the superior team and should comfortably beat us. Forget that it's the chavs and treat it as any other game like that, anything other than a defeat is a bonus. :smile: Personally I think we might have a chance if we can score first and if Koscielny marks Costa well. We look to be finally getting some nice interplay and pace with our forward line and I think that we can score anyway so we can do alright. Maybe Ozil will feel the need to repay Wenger's faith in him over Cesc and just go in as well, who knows?

Alternatively, stick £1000 on Chelsea to win and if they do then just get a taxi to Heathrow after the game and have a little holiday to forget about it. If Arsenal win, but you lose the £1000 then just do some cans to celebrate to forget about the £1000. If it's a draw then you dun goofed. :biggrin:

Lmao :lol: thanks for the tips. Nah but seriously we are really exposed at the back Zur, I just know they'll romp us on the break. I can see an inevitable red card somewhere too.
Brian McDermott is going to join Arsenal's scouting set up. Great addition imo, previous Arsenal player with excellent knowledge of the English scouting network.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-leeds-united-manager-brian-4381398
Lmao :lol: thanks for the tips. Nah but seriously we are really exposed at the back Zur, I just know they'll romp us on the break. I can see an inevitable red card somewhere too.

True, Flamini might get a Red. no faith in his ability to stem any counters with his footballing ability so he should just be used as a weapon. Would love him just to eye gauge Mourinho or something or just do a Cantona and throw himself into the hordes of baying Chelski sum.
Original post by angelfox
He left us in the most disgusting of ways. The last 15 months with him was a shambles with hindsight. When Spain won the WC he didn't exactly try and get that Barca shirt off him.

You could clearly tell of the Febuary 2011 meltdown that he wanted out, and he stopped caring which was a disgrace as captain. There was THAT backheel to Messi at the Nou Camp, him jetting off to watch the Spanish Formula One on the last day of the season, and then him going on strike to force a move through to Barca by refusing to play preseason games.

I've backed him, but quite frankly with hindsight it was a vile way to go about it. Still was one of my favourite Arsenal players of all time though.

Yes he did:

[video="youtube;2onN4AxazXo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2onN4AxazXo[/video]

:s-smilie:

and lol at thinking anything of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apaPiqrvxSw (can't embed 2 videos)

He was clearly trying to pass to the Arsenal player but got it slightly wrong.

Don't remember the rest of it, and while it sounds like not the classiest way of going about things, it was obviously the only way he'd get his move.

Anyway, he was completely respected by Arsenal fans after that move. It was only after the move to Chelsea that they started all this bull**** about him being a traitor etc. So it's number 2 that really needs explaining.

Yeah it's quite funny most of you have just accepted to take the D from us.

Would be great if Cesc scored. You should have just bought him knowing how paper thin and injury prone your squad is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelfox
I wouldn't. We've almost certainly lost before kick off unless 3 events happen (get on to them in the next paragraph), purely due to Wenger's lack of tactical awareness and injuries.

Anyway the 3 events which have to happen if we're gonna get anything out of it:

a) Costa's hamstring goes - he's gonna destroy us if not. He's just made for destroying us.

b) Welbz can get in behind Chelsea's slow defence and either directly or indirectly score or get one of their defenders sent off

c) Cesc goes missing (most likely to happen).

Costa was basically created for the sole purpose of destroying us.

Let's just make one thing clear, we ain't scoring from a set piece unless it's by some miracle, they've got such an advantage when it comes to height and we're just quite simply not good enough from corners etc.

If Welbeck is to score and get his finishing right tomorrow would be the day to be on point because we're not going to get many chances. Most of play will be happening in midfield and in their final third so we need to snap at every chance no matter how minimal they'll be.

Not that it matters though :colonhash:

Tbf I did then go on in my next post to say that there are some great Arsenal fans and I also said it's not about trolling you guys to Iso. My intent here isn't to troll, but as someone who is money driven I can understand why a player would want to leave a club for more money.

As a guy who's been brought up by a single mother barely making ends meat I've always valued the grind and making money to me is more important than a bunch of cockney lads yelling my name. If I was a football player I would take the abuse in order to get more money to improve the quality of life for me and all my family.

Exactly, completely agree.

All thus club loyalty doesn't make sense to me any more. Yes, a player should still show some sort of gratitude to it's former club as a sign of respect but for fans to be acting like he's a traitor is a bit funny, if anywhere in his contract at Arsenal said "Must not play for any other English club and must show footballing loyalty eternally to AFC indefinitely" then let me know. Fair enough a few years ago Fab said "I never see myself playing for anybody other than Arsenal (English clubs)" or something like that, he should have said that because he's dug himself a hole but he plays for Chelsea FC now. Deal with it.

However, that's not to say I'm completely blind to why some fans may feel hostile to Fab, it happens. But booing and insulting him and wishing for an injury? That's inhumane.
Original post by Zürich
True, Flamini might get a Red. no faith in his ability to stem any counters with his footballing ability so he should just be used as a weapon. Would love him just to eye gauge Mourinho or something or just do a Cantona and throw himself into the hordes of baying Chelski sum.

Lol Zurich my friend you need to learn to love more. Flam's always up for a fight, swear down he was close to KOing Bentaleb last season!

Original post by Isometrix
You should have just bought him knowing how paper thin and injury prone your squad is.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah no worries boss man I'll be sure to tell my guy Wenger next time I see him.

:tongue:

Latest