The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Costa was basically created for the sole purpose of destroying us.

I lold.

Exactly, completely agree.

All thus club loyalty doesn't make sense to me any more. Yes, a player should still show some sort of gratitude to it's former club as a sign of respect but for fans to be acting like he's a traitor is a bit funny, if anywhere in his contract at Arsenal said "Must not play for any other English club and must show footballing loyalty eternally to AFC indefinitely" then let me know. Fair enough a few years ago Fab said "I never see myself playing for anybody other than Arsenal (English clubs)" or something like that, he should have said that because he's dug himself a hole but he plays for Chelsea FC now. Deal with it.

However, that's not to say I'm completely blind to why some fans may feel hostile to Fab, it happens. But booing and insulting him and wishing for an injury? That's inhumane.

Thing is about what he said though, if word from the grape vine is true then he tried to come back to Arsenal first and he did say in an interview he preferred it iirc?
So in reality he probably didn't see himself going to Chelsea or any other club because he expected to be back at AFC.
The club left him with little choice and if you were to assume him and his family wanted to live in London then any other option would have devalued his life and for fans to expect him to sacrifice his quality of life for their egos is pretty pathetic tbh.

If you're expecting the player to put loyalty before money and reason then the you should hold the club to the same standard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
I lold.

Thing is about what he said though, if word from the grape vine is true then he tried to come back to Arsenal first and he did say in an interview he preferred it iirc?
So in reality he probably didn't see himself going to Chelsea or any other club because he expected to be back at AFC.
The club left him with little choice and if you were to assume him and his family wanted to live in London then any other option would have devalued his life and for fans to expect him to sacrifice his quality of life for their egos is pretty pathetic tbh.

If you're expecting the player to put loyalty before money and reason then the you should hold the club to the same standard.

Rahh. Just realised my post you quoted me on has so many grammatical errors. I feel ashamed :frown: Damn you autocorrect.

Yeah it's silly really, the only reason why I'm praying for Cesc not to score against us is because he'll get hammered by the fans lmao.

So who will you be hoping wins tomorrow as a 'neutral'?
I'm bricking it lads.

don't worry - everybody has to face chelsea this season; it will be our turn some way down the road.
the unofrtunate likelihood is that it won't be pretty for you guys.
but this is football and this is the premier league - we really don't have a clue what's gonna happen.

Original post by Juan Mata
Absolutely pathetic attitude on here. Cesc has done two things:

1) Leave Arsenal for Barca. He spent 6 years at Barca and 7 at Arsenal, so they're both "home" just as much. And in those 7 years at Arsenal where he was one of the best in the league, he won 1 single FA Cup. An extremely talented player gave you 7 years of his career and got little in return, and so wanted to move to his home country and actually win something.

2) Leave Barca for Chelsea. He was forced out and his first choice was Arsenal, but Wenger (his "father figure") rejected him. He had very few options left, and even if he had the choice of any club in the world, he had no reason to be loyal to Arsenal any more.

What exactly has he done wrong here?

deserved rep; couldn't agree more.

i understand the whole notion of loyalty of a player to a club for most/all of their career (i.e: gerrard).
but thast is the player's own choice - i'm pretty sure gerrard would have had a much more successful career in terms of trophies had he moved to chelsea for instance.

but people lose sight of the fact that this is a job, it's a severely limited career for every individual footballer (on the most part, age 18-35 is likely to be your career-span if you aren't cut short through injury).
they do of course earn obscene amounts of money, but that isn't massively relevant here - if a player sees an opportunity to move to a bigger club, earn more trophies, develop his ability further and most importantly be remembered in the history books, why not move clubs?

i understand from an arsenal fan's point of view it must be a little painful to see cesc playing for the blues but the attitude towards the guy who is just making a living is ridiculous.
do you think i hate suarez because he moved up to a bigger and better club?
Original post by Lúcio
don't worry - everybody has to face chelsea this season; it will be our turn some way down the road.
but this is football and this is the premier league - we really don't have a clue what's gonna happen.

deserved rep; couldn't agree more.

i understand the whole notion of loyalty of a player to a club for most/all of their career (i.e: gerrard).
but thast is the player's own choice - i'm pretty sure gerrard would have had a much more successful career in terms of trophies had he moved to chelsea for instance.

but people lose sight of the fact that this is a job, it's a severely limited career for every individual footballer (on the most part, age 18-35 is likely to be your career-span if you aren't cut short through injury).
they do of course earn obscene amounts of money, but that isn't massively relevant here - if a player sees an opportunity to move to a bigger club, earn more trophies, develop his ability further and most importantly be remembered in the history books, why not move clubs?

i understand from an arsenal fan's point of view it must be a little painful to see cesc playing for the blues but the attitude towards the guy who is just making a living is ridiculous.
do you think i hate suarez because he moved up to a bigger and better club?

Yep. Poor example though, Gerrard is no more loyal than Rooney. :cool:
Original post by Lúcio

If there was any match in which the winner and the loser could be predicted 100% accurately in the premier league, it would be this match indefinitely.
Yep. Poor example though, Gerrard is no more loyal than Rooney. :cool:

meh, first name that came to mind with regards to an entire career at a single club.
pls don't compare gerrard to rooney in any way.

meh, people like to hate on gerrard, find any excuse to berate him but i suppose being liverpool captain isn't gonna help.
yeah, maybe he wanted to move but didnt - whatever the circumstances he stayed at our club and has been one of the greatest ever players in our entire history.
especially when you consider him playing in an era where liverpool are no longer dominant.
Original post by Lúcio
meh, first name that came to mind with regards to an entire career at a single club.
pls don't compare gerrard to rooney in any way.

meh, people like to hate on gerrard, find any excuse to berate him but i suppose being liverpool captain isn't gonna help.
yeah, maybe he wanted to move but didnt - whatever the circumstances he stayed at our club and has been one of the greatest ever players in our entire history.
especially when you consider him playing in an era where liverpool are no longer dominant.

He's no Scholesy though is he

Rooney > Gerrard (srs)

(semi srs)
If there was any match in which the winner and the loser could be predicted 100% accurately in the premier league, it would be this match indefinitely.

haha chill man.
no 100%, that game is when we visit the bridge:colone:

nah its normal to be extra pessimistic/optimistic for you own team because it matters that much more to you so you might not wanna get your hopes up in case you get raped again.

from an outsider's view, it's so much easier to build up/criticise a team (re: jam and liverpool) because frankly i don't care if you fail; i'm not an arsenal fan so it doesn't really affect me.

in any case, looking forward to it tomorrow
i don't really dislike arsenal so i never wanna see them thrashed although their fans are sometimes a little annoying (no offence)
however for GD purposes i do hope chelsea beat you by a solid 3 goal margin.

united to lose/draw to everton as well would make this a weekend to remember :biggrin:
He's no Scholesy though is he

Rooney > Gerrard (srs)

(semi srs)

scholes is just a general legend.

nah, rooney has always been overrated.
quality player on his day (dat overhead kick:coma:) but he has never overwhelmed me like a player such as suarez or gerrard has done.
no bias i swear:cool:
I see Rooney, Gerrard and Terry (and previously Lampard) all in the same bracket. They're the kind of players (bar their age) that you don't see playing for another club, they sort of epitomise the whole identity of their clubs. I see Wilshere as probably being like that for us too but you never know. (Yes, they're all English but it has nothing to do with my point :smile: )

Those were the named you heard in primary school (bar Wilsh), the players that automatically come to your mind first when their club is mentioned.
Rahh. Just realised my post you quoted me on has so many grammatical errors. I feel ashamed :frown: Damn you autocorrect.

Yeah it's silly really, the only reason why I'm praying for Cesc not to score against us is because he'll get hammered by the fans lmao.

So who will you be hoping wins tomorrow as a 'neutral'?

Heh, I saw a few but when you skim read your brain skips over grammatical errors so I barely even noticed.

I'd prefer a draw or Chelsea win since you're more direct competition for LFC this year. Watching you guys get blitzed is also pretty entertaining :lol: If they score early tomorrow I can see all Arsenal fans being on their Kevin Hart like:

[video="youtube;OLlErN22r18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLlErN22r18[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Arkasia
You won't be so steady after the game tomorrow :frown: Neither will I.

Had to quote you in here to avoid derailing the other thread lmao, yeah mate I'll tell you what, I'm firstly scared about the team and formation Arsene will put out then I'm scared about the amounts we concede. I swear everytime a blues goal goes in I'll die a little bit inside.

Original post by So Instinct
X

:lol: you've been on a bit of a roll since that infamous 'where they at doe' post on the United thread.
Had to quote you in here to avoid derailing the other thread lmao, yeah mate I'll tell you what, I'm firstly scared about the team and formation Arsene will put out then I'm scared about the amounts we concede. I swear everytime a blues goal goes in I'll die a little bit inside.

:lol: you've been on a bit of a roll since that infamous 'where they at doe' post on the United thread.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
To be completely honest, we're all football fans here, only difference being some like a team that plays in red, other's like a team that plays in blue. That's all there is that differentiates us at the end of the day. Pathetic for some people go on these rants anonymously over the internet because they have an inferiority complex, calling and generalising people they've never met before things like 'chavs' and 'scum'.

Grow up and have a decent conversation without resorting to chatting bullshine about 'class' and 'marble halls' Zurich ffs.
feeling good about today..

Welbeck + sanchez going to do something good..

Both have not yet been inflicted with the arsenal mentality of never beating chelsea.. and will come out flying..
Reply 1175
Flamini and Cesc reunited

Don't know if I'd rather watch the game or work through it. I don't have the choice though :biggrin:

Don't think it'll be a thrashing. Will probably be like our past encounters with some slips letting in 2 or 3 goals but no 6-0.

Our problem last season and at times this season is chance creation and getting behind defences. Chelsea are set up so that we'll be running into a brick wall. Is Wilshere fit? I don't think this is the game for him although some of his recent performances have been much better and arguably he's been out best CM so far. No chance Diaby is starting, prepare to be dissapointed by Flamini. Want Alexis and Ox on both wings but chances are Cazorla will start over Ox. Welbeck needs to go ham, but I highly doubt he's scoring today because of a lack of delivery. Can Imagine him missing his only chance of the game and the pitch forks come out :lol:

I'm starting to really want Ospina to start over Schezer. Both make brilliant saves though Schezney has been quite the liability as of recently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good passing and build up play from Arsenal but an overall lack of penetration and an inability to fashion good chances. Sucker punch on the counter or from a corner. Rinse, repeat.
Remember Newcastle getting thrashed 6-0 at home? The following season, against the same opponents, they got a draw. So hopefully Arsenal have learned something from last time round
I see Rooney, Gerrard and Terry (and previously Lampard) all in the same bracket. They're the kind of players (bar their age) that you don't see playing for another club, they sort of epitomise the whole identity of their clubs. I see Wilshere as probably being like that for us too but you never know. (Yes, they're all English but it has nothing to do with my point :smile: )

Those were the named you heard in primary school (bar Wilsh), the players that automatically come to your mind first when their club is mentioned.

Only one of those players you named is a one club man

It's hard to believe that Bolton had Sturridge & Wilshere in their team 3 years ago, now they're fighting relegation to League One.
Reply 1179

Calling it now: if Wilshere keeps up his good form for the whole of the season he is going to leave at the end of it (or at the very least he will make loud noises about "ambition", if the club won't let him go). It will be hilarious. If he gets injured, he will stay.

Latest