The Student Room Group

Confusing situation about AS Grades and overall predictions.

Hello everyone,

I am a bit in dilemma currently, June 2014 wasn't too great of a exam session for me because of personal issues and problems with one teacher in particular which altogether ruined my whole spirit for the other subjects I was taking.

Now I am going to be taking my AS and A2 levels at the same time, this upcoming summer and I am pretty confident it is going to be better.

However, the issue is that as my school is not listed with UCAS, which means that I have to apply individually, therefore, I am not too sure about the whole situation of what to put into the grade brackets, currently I put obviously pending but I read somewhere that usually the referee inputs the predicted grades but if I am applying individually and not through a school does the referee still have this ability or do I have to input them myself instead of pending?

Also to note that my AS grades are NOT 'cashed in'.

So do I have to put my original AS grades or predicted overall A-level grades or just pending? I am really confused, any clarification on this matter would be of great appreciation!

Thank you in advance for any replies and help as this is really bugging me out as I want to get started with the application process asap.
I don't think you can testify to having grades you don't actually have, so I would be cautious about putting your predicted grades as your actual grades.

My school prevented us from declaring AS grades because they were not 'cashed in', but the situation may have changed now. I know my previous school declare all grades even though they're not cashed in.

I imagine you'll still have the opportunity to have a referee.

I would probably contact UCAS.

Is noone else at your school applying? Why are they not registered?
Reply 2
Original post by indierebel
I don't think you can testify to having grades you don't actually have, so I would be cautious about putting your predicted grades as your actual grades.

My school prevented us from declaring AS grades because they were not 'cashed in', but the situation may have changed now. I know my previous school declare all grades even though they're not cashed in.

I imagine you'll still have the opportunity to have a referee.

I would probably contact UCAS.

Is noone else at your school applying? Why are they not registered?

UCAS is pretty clear on the whole cash in issue as stated on this link

http://mob.ucas.com/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application-0

b) If your AS Levels aren't due to be certificated until the end of sixth form:

You’d need to state both the AS levels and A levels as 'pending'. The qualification date in both cases would be August 2014.

So no need to state my previous AS grades, but yet again this raises the issue if I state both my AS and A2 as 'pending' and my referee is unable to input my predicted grades because I am applying individually, how will the University know if am up to the task or not?

And no nobody else applying to the UK at my school, I am in a small international school we are registered with the British Council as an exam center but because of the lack of UK applicants my school has decided not to list itself, which makes no sense for a British school but it is the case no reason for me to go another rant...

So yeah I am still clueless XD I hope you or somebody on here can give me a explanation otherwise Ill be forced to call UCAS.
Original post by Jemy
UCAS is pretty clear on the whole cash in issue as stated on this link

http://mob.ucas.com/blogs/entering-levels-and-levels-your-ucas-application-0

b) If your AS Levels aren't due to be certificated until the end of sixth form:

You’d need to state both the AS levels and A levels as 'pending'. The qualification date in both cases would be August 2014.

So no need to state my previous AS grades, but yet again this raises the issue if I state both my AS and A2 as 'pending' and my referee is unable to input my predicted grades because I am applying individually, how will the University know if am up to the task or not?

And no nobody else applying to the UK at my school, I am in a small international school we are registered with the British Council as an exam center but because of the lack of UK applicants my school has decided not to list itself, which makes no sense for a British school but it is the case no reason for me to go another rant...

So yeah I am still clueless XD I hope you or somebody on here can give me a explanation otherwise Ill be forced to call UCAS.

Maybe this will help:

If you're applying as an individual

1. Get a reference from a teacher, adviser or professional who knows you
Either ask a tutor, trainer or employer if they'd be happy to do it if yes, add their email and phone number to the reference page, then click 'Ask referee to complete reference'. First we'll email them with a link and password to the reference page of your application, then we'll ask them to confirm their identity before writing it. (If for any reason they decline we'll let you know.)
It's important to use the correct email address for your referee:
do not use an email address that will result in an automated response (e.g. a generic HR address)
your reference must be done online - make sure your referee knows this. All details they need will be in the reference request email they receive from us
we cannot accept paper or emailed references.
Alternatively, in 'Options' you can 'ask a registered school, college or centre to write a reference' contact them first to see if they'd be happy to, then add their details and buzzword.
Please give your referee plenty of time to complete your reference, and if they need any advice they'll find help text on the page where they add the reference, plus there's info here about writing references.
2. Pay your application fee and send your application to us
£12 for one course, or £23 for multiple courses and applications sent after 30 June, payable by credit/debit card online.
The reference will need to be complete before you can send your application to us, so keep in touch with your referee to make sure it's completed in time.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/filling-your-application/references-payment-and-sending
Reply 4
Original post by indierebel
Maybe this will help:

If you're applying as an individual

1. Get a reference from a teacher, adviser or professional who knows you
Either ask a tutor, trainer or employer if they'd be happy to do it if yes, add their email and phone number to the reference page, then click 'Ask referee to complete reference'. First we'll email them with a link and password to the reference page of your application, then we'll ask them to confirm their identity before writing it. (If for any reason they decline we'll let you know.)
It's important to use the correct email address for your referee:
do not use an email address that will result in an automated response (e.g. a generic HR address)
your reference must be done online - make sure your referee knows this. All details they need will be in the reference request email they receive from us
we cannot accept paper or emailed references.
Alternatively, in 'Options' you can 'ask a registered school, college or centre to write a reference' contact them first to see if they'd be happy to, then add their details and buzzword.
Please give your referee plenty of time to complete your reference, and if they need any advice they'll find help text on the page where they add the reference, plus there's info here about writing references.
2. Pay your application fee and send your application to us
£12 for one course, or £23 for multiple courses and applications sent after 30 June, payable by credit/debit card online.
The reference will need to be complete before you can send your application to us, so keep in touch with your referee to make sure it's completed in time.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/filling-your-application/references-payment-and-sending

Thanks but that does only clear up the question on how I will sort out the reference, but the issue of how and what grades to put remains.
Original post by Jemy
Thanks but that does only clear up the question on how I will sort out the reference, but the issue of how and what grades to put remains.

From your quote above, and because yours aren't being certified, I would have thought you just put them as 'Pending'. You put the subjects you are continuing to A2 as A Level 'Pending' and those you are not as AS Level 'Pending'. Your reference should then provide details of grades/extenuating circumstances/predicted grades. That is at least what happened with mine.
Your referee is asked for your predicted grades whether you apply through a school or independently.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Your referee is asked for your predicted grades whether you apply through a school or independently.

Thank you, that is the answer I was looking for. So basically leave them pending and whoever writes that reference in or out of school will have to deal with inputting them.
Original post by Jemy
Thank you, that is the answer I was looking for. So basically leave them pending and whoever writes that reference in or out of school will have to deal with inputting them.

I definitely insinuated this. Sorry for not being totally clear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending