The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joolsm
Nottingham only accept a maximum of one module resit for each subject. So they would not accept the whole of Biology AS as a resit (unless you contact them directly to discuss your individual circumstances).
On their points system, she currently has 10/16 for GCSEs, and 32 points for UKCAT (I think). Giving a total of 42/55 - however, they do give 3pts for SJT band 1, 2pts for band 2, 1pt for band 3, so that would push her points total up depending on what she got in that component of the UKCAT. So she potentially has a max of 45 - thesame score as I have, which seems to be quite low, lots of people on here are reporting scores of approx 48-50. I am still applying, it is a very risky application at 45 points though in my opinion.

Nottingham aren't using SJT anymore because of an error in how they were scoring it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
810 -9 points
750 - 8 points
520 - 6 points
550- 6 points
So you've got 29 points from UKCAT :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think 45 points would be sufficient with a strong PS or do you think it will be too risky?:/ ( Band 1 6A*s 2A's IGCSE)
Reply 222
Original post by boods8897
Nottingham aren't using SJT anymore because of an error in how they were scoring it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? so they have changed from the info given at open day?
The website still says:

UKCAT we will give you a score for each of the five sections of the UKCAT test, this includes scores for the four sections in the cognitive component and a score for the SJT component. The total UKCAT score makes up 71% of the total score at this stage.

Edit: I have found the info about not scoring SJT:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/documents/ugstudy-docs/school-of-medicine-scoring-of-applications-2015-(a100).pdf

Effectively it means that the weighting is now 31% - 69% academic - UKCAT (as opposed to 29% - 71% previously when SJT was included).
For me, it means that I now have 43/52, instead of 45/55.
Any thoughts on the new prospective cutoff?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joolsm
Really? so they have changed from the info given at open day?
The website still says:

UKCAT we will give you a score for each of the five sections of the UKCAT test, this includes scores for the four sections in the cognitive component and a score for the SJT component. The total UKCAT score makes up 71% of the total score at this stage.

Edit: I have found the info about not scoring SJT:

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/documents/ugstudy-docs/school-of-medicine-scoring-of-applications-2015-(a100).pdf

Effectively it means that the weighting is now 31% - 69% academic - UKCAT (as opposed to 29% - 71% previously when SJT was included).
For me, it means that I now have 43/52, instead of 45/55.
Any thoughts on the new prospective cutoff?

How do you work it out?
I have 29 points without the SJT, then what?
Reply 224
Original post by frozo123
How do you work it out?
I have 29 points without the SJT, then what?

Add your GCSE score - top 8 GCSEs(must include Eng/maths/Sciences) A* = 2ps, A = 1pt.
So max of 16 for GCSE, added to max of 36 for UKCAT.
Original post by dianew
My daughter has 3050 ukcat (890, 840, 640, 680) but lower academics than most. 2a*, 9a at gcse and BBBC at AS. Predictions AAAb at A2. She had a post 16 ed psych assessment in the summer which diagnosed dyslexia so measures are being put in place to help her overcome this. She wants to retake biology as completely. Given her high ukcat score is it still worth her applying to Nottingham and will they accept a full retake of biology in the light of the dyslexia report?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like it is worth a shot, but given her ukcat score the first question that comes to my mind is, is it possible to do so well for ukcat - which involves lots of reading - despite dyslexia? I am not being sarcastic or hinting anything but that is a legitimate question because non-dyslexic people might not understand how it works. So perhaps prepare for that question, lest the school may ask?
Reply 226
how and when do we do the online questionnaire?
Reply 227
I don't think there is a questionnaire any more?
Reply 228
Original post by smilepeople
Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like it is worth a shot, but given her ukcat score the first question that comes to my mind is, is it possible to do so well for ukcat - which involves lots of reading - despite dyslexia? I am not being sarcastic or hinting anything but that is a legitimate question because non-dyslexic people might not understand how it works. So perhaps prepare for that question, lest the school may ask?

That's an interesting perspective. Clearly it is possible to do that we'll despite having dyslexia because she did. Her 890 was for the maths and 840 for ar neither of which are affected.
Original post by dianew
That's an interesting perspective. Clearly it is possible to do that we'll despite having dyslexia because she did. Her 890 was for the maths and 840 for ar neither of which are affected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pardon me if I offend you but I am just sharing what would go through my mind if I were the interviewer
So out of 52 what do people think will be around the cut off for interview? I got 43 but I'm beginning to think the cut off will probably be 45/46
I think the cut off will be 40/55

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 232
Original post by smilepeople
Posted from TSR Mobile

Pardon me if I offend you but I am just sharing what would go through my mind if I were the interviewer

You're not offending me but I am confused by what you think the interviewer would be questioning? It's obviously not possible to cheat on the ukcat and she has a form 8 from an ed psych to say she is dyslexic and needs extra time to put her on a level playing field with a non dyslexic. Being dyslexic and being clever are not mutually exclusive. Certainly didn't hinder Einstein!
Original post by Becky.96
So out of 52 what do people think will be around the cut off for interview? I got 43 but I'm beginning to think the cut off will probably be 45/46

Any reason behind this estimated cut off or just pure guess?
Original post by Sycopation
I think the cut off will be 40/55

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by lucky111
Just from what people are posting on here based on UKCAT scores :biggrin: I might be being too nervous though haha
I think the cut off will be 40/55 Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it might be out of 52 now because I don't think their using SJT anymore but I may be wrong
Original post by lucky111

Average applicant will have 600 600 600 700 probably, so they've dropped 7 points already, average applicant will probably have 5A*s as well so they've dropped 3-5

They take top 50% in first stage
Average applicant will have 600 600 600 700 probably, so they've dropped 7 points already, average applicant will probably have 5A*s as well so they've dropped 3-5

They take top 50% in first stage

Interesting. I hope the cut off will be 40 out of 52 as you suggested:smile:

Although the max score in the UKCAT is 36, however, I have a feeling that it will be around 32 or 33 assuming that top score in each section is about 700+
(8 points x 4)
Original post by dianew
You're not offending me but I am confused by what you think the interviewer would be questioning? It's obviously not possible to cheat on the ukcat and she has a form 8 from an ed psych to say she is dyslexic and needs extra time to put her on a level playing field with a non dyslexic. Being dyslexic and being clever are not mutually exclusive. Certainly didn't hinder Einstein!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm to explain my view, because in my country all men need to go to the army to serve for 2 years and higher-ups' sons are known to fake their diagnostic results you know, to skip the army so I am just more aware of these possibilities. Perhaps I have been overexposed to these kind of issues to trust people easily haha I really hope I dont offend you, all the best for your daughter's application!

Quick Reply

Latest