The Student Room Group

Do you think these are sensible uni choices for me?

I want to eventually work in journalism or media.

For my AS grades I had:

Art: A
English Lit: B (thinking of resitting the exam, but not sure)
Religious Studies: C (just missed a B, definitely resitting)

I'm predicted:

Art: A*
English Lit: B
RS: A (But think I'll leave with a B overall)

I'm thinking:

Surrey - English Lit + Creative Writing ( AAB - ABB, aspirational as I need an A in English)

Cardiff - Media, Journalism and Cultural studies (ABB)

Reading - Art and English Lit (BBB - ABC)

Swansea - English Lit and Media (BBB)

Bath Spa - Creative Writing and English Lit (BBC +)

I know I'm thinking of applying to quite a mixture of courses, but I have my reasons. Do you think these are sensible choices based on my grades and predicted grades?
I've done a draft of my personal statement and my teachers have said it's strong - I mention my blog, my ambition to get into journalism and getting a good grade in my creative writing module.

Do you have any opinions of the unis I have mentioned?

Thank you!
Universities tend to look at your predicted grades rather than your actual AS grades....and don't worry your grades are really good. You shouldn't have a problem in getting offers tbh
Applying to a range of courses with just one ps is asking to be rejected, especially if one of them is as competitive as English Lit. You will need to talk about too many different elements of the courses to be able to go into detail about any of them, and since no university can see where else you are applying, the creative writing courses will wonder why you are talking about art, which has no relevance at all to them. You will come across as uncommitted or unaware of what the course entails or how to write a personal statement, none of which is a good thing for any course, but certainly not ones involving writing. You will have to make a choice in the end, so decide in advance which one you really want and make a properly targeted application which stands a decent chance of being accepted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Applying to a range of courses with just one ps is asking to be rejected, especially if one of them is as competitive as English Lit. You will need to talk about too many different elements of the courses to be able to go into detail about any of them, and since no university can see where else you are applying, the creative writing courses will wonder why you are talking about art, which has no relevance at all to them. You will come across as uncommitted or unaware of what the course entails or how to write a personal statement, none of which is a good thing for any course, but certainly not ones involving writing. You will have to make a choice in the end, so decide in advance which one you really want and make a properly targeted application which stands a decent chance of being accepted.

I am completely aware of this issue and have been for a while. I have spoken to my teachers and I have contacted Reading about it.

Art does have relevance to the creative writing courses in terms of the students being imaginative, critical and creative. It, I do admit, has nothing to do with the Cardiff course - which worryingly, is the course I am wanting to do the most...followed by the one in Reading.
I cannot imagine you being accepted onto any of those courses if you try and write one PS for the lot of them.
Reply 5
Original post by cambo211
I cannot imagine you being accepted onto any of those courses if you try and write one PS for the lot of them.

I'm changing the Swansea course for English Lit and Creative writing and am waiting for Reading to reply to my query. On Reading's website, they say that their English lit students have the option of taking a creative writing pathway (although it's not an English and Creative writing joint course). So, If the worst came to the worst, I would just apply to the English course there and would still be able to talk about my blog and love of creative writing.

I have actually managed to talk about Art and English Lit as though they my hobbies as well as subjects - which is why my teachers think my Statement has potential to be taken seriously by these courses.

Also, as far as the Cardiff course goes, I can talk about my love of writing and my knowledge that a good academic degree would be extremely beneficial for a career in journalism...plus, on every single one of the courses I want to apply for, they state "journalism" as a career option.
Original post by gingerlucy
I am completely aware of this issue and have been for a while. I have spoken to my teachers and I have contacted Reading about it.

Art does have relevance to the creative writing courses in terms of the students being imaginative, critical and creative. It, I do admit, has nothing to do with the Cardiff course - which worryingly, is the course I am wanting to do the most...followed by the one in Reading.

It doesn't change the fact that if you write a PS addressing all of these courses, it'll make you look indecisive and not dedicated, neither of which will do you many favours.
I'm changing the Swansea course for English Lit and Creative writing and am waiting for Reading to reply to my query. On Reading's website, they say that their English lit students have the option of taking a creative writing pathway (although it's not an English and Creative writing joint course). So, If the worst came to the worst, I would just apply to the English course there and would still be able to talk about my blog and love of creative writing.

I have actually managed to talk about Art and English Lit as though they my hobbies as well as subjects - which is why my teachers think my Statement has potential to be taken seriously by these courses.

Also, as far as the Cardiff course goes, I can talk about my love of writing and my knowledge that a good academic degree would be extremely beneficial for a career in journalism...plus, on every single one of the courses I want to apply for, they state "journalism" as a career option.

You came and asked for opinions and then tried as hard as you could to shoot down the opinions given to you.

If you're talking about Art as if it's your hobby it'll be a pretty much irrelevant bit for your non-art related choices.
Reply 8
Original post by cambo211
You came and asked for opinions and then tried as hard as you could to shoot down the opinions given to you.

If you're talking about Art as if it's your hobby it'll be a pretty much irrelevant bit for your non-art related choices.

I haven't shot down any opinions! Nothing I j said was either said in a nasty or defensive way - you obviously didn't read it correctly.

Also, If you did manage to read it correctly, you would have noticed that I changed one of my options because of the advice you gave me - creative writing instead of Media.

I also had a look on the Reading website and am considering not doing art because if your advice...which again, you failed to notice.

You are supposed to talk about your hobbies and passions if they compliment each other and are relevant. I have talked about art and literature in terms of needing critical thinking and creativity - which would be essential for both courses!
(edited 9 years ago)

Well, if you are going into this with your eyes open, then that's fine. I've given you my opinion and it hasn't changed, but good luck with it.:smile:
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Well, if you are going into this with your eyes open, then that's fine. I've given you my opinion and it hasn't changed, but good luck with it.:smile:

Yeah, I do understand the risks and it has made me change the Swansea course and reconsider Art at Reading! :smile:

I'll just see what Reading say when they reply and go from there!

Thanks for your opinion, much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending