The Student Room Group

Should I apply for PGCE or wait and hopefully be in a position to do Assessment Only?

I am really undecided whether or not to go through the lengthy process of applying for PGCE, although I have limited to places I can apply 1 or maybe two providers at the most because I finished university with a ordinary pass degree in Bsc Geography. I decided to cash this in as I got a place on Early Years Teacher Training and I started this course last month and fingers crossed next July I will be a qualified Early Years Teacher. Here is my dilemma I really want QTS, this course gives you EYTS which is equivalent to QTS but NOT QTS. To work in maintained schools you need QTS. I have already passed the skills tests and met the same entry requirements for primary teaching as thats what you need to get onto EYTS training. I dont know if I should apply for PGCE, but as I dont have honours degree I have only found 1 maybe 2 providers who would welcome an application from me or should I wait and try and get employed in an academy as a teacher or Hlta/ta and work in foundation years and then do assessment only. Any advice?
Reply 1
I qualified via AO this year after nearly 6 years teaching overseas. I had a great experience and it was the best fit for me/my circumstances, BUT practically/administratively it is much more of a faff compared to just doing your PGCE straight out of uni (as I should have done!). In your situation, it could work to be employed as an unqualified teacher for some years and then taking on AO, but just be aware of the fact that it is a hassle.
Reply 2
Original post by Angelil
I qualified via AO this year after nearly 6 years teaching overseas. I had a great experience and it was the best fit for me/my circumstances, BUT practically/administratively it is much more of a faff compared to just doing your PGCE straight out of uni (as I should have done!). In your situation, it could work to be employed as an unqualified teacher for some years and then taking on AO, but just be aware of the fact that it is a hassle.

Thank you, it worked out for you in the end then! If I could know that AO would work for me then I wouldnt worry, Id much rather get qts that way because it is cheaper and easier once youve been accepted onto the route that is. Also since im already on an inital teacher training course I dont really want to do another which would be harder and cost £9000 whereas the one im on now is funded by the government.
Reply 3
Well, you say it's worked out, but I still need to do my induction :frown: And working out the where/when/how of that is soooooo complicated :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending