The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ParadoxSocks
Had an email back earlier to say it's fine if I'm a little late tomorrow :biggrin:

What do I expect for first day of placement?

And what do pgce students do during untimetabled hours? I assume a bit of extra observation and planning for lessons. I don't want to go in tomorrow with no idea what is happening D:

And when we're starting to teach does the original class teacher stay with us until we find our feet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My uni told us a certain amount of non-contact time which was out of class, the equivalent of ppa (for us, 20%) and for the rest of the time when we weren't teaching we did lots of things. At the start we were just with the class acting as support, getting to know the pupils and routines and observing the class teacher whilst doing it. As time went on we did some observing of other teachers as well, plus some specific tasks and observations set by the uni including tasks for coursework. As time goes on you obviously teach more and have less time like this. I'd recommend making the most of building relationships with the students while you can!

For my first placement the teacher was there pretty much all the time, as in, in the classroom. Only during her ppa or when she had elsewhere special to go would we be in there without her.

For my second, the teacher was in the room for the first few bits of teaching but started to be out more later on as she had lots to do! I think it's a lot to do with this rather than the stage of your placement tbh. But don't worry, they won't tell you to teach and run off, they will be hanging around at least at the start to be there if they're needed.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my eureka moment today after meeting my year 7 class for the first time. I wasn't taking the class obciously but I ran around answering questions and being teacherly. You know when you just realise that maybe this was the right decision and you're not crazy? I think it was that. It just came naturally.

Original post by qwerty_mad
First day you'll be shown around the school and the placed in your room. You'll probably spend the first two/three weeks observing. Use this to really learn the strategies of the class teacher.

Once you teach I don't think they'll stand by you - you're not a child and are there to learn. But of course, other than during observations, most teachers would be willing to help you out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely have three weeks of solid obs and then two weeks of half term and then I'm teaching. There's some teachers I'd be nervous teaching in front of so I'm just hoping my nerves behave enough to actually teach.

Original post by kpwxx
My uni told us a certain amount of non-contact time which was out of class, the equivalent of ppa (for us, 20%) and for the rest of the time when we weren't teaching we did lots of things. At the start we were just with the class acting as support, getting to know the pupils and routines and observing the class teacher whilst doing it. As time went on we did some observing of other teachers as well, plus some specific tasks and observations set by the uni including tasks for coursework. As time goes on you obviously teach more and have less time like this. I'd recommend making the most of building relationships with the students while you can!

For my first placement the teacher was there pretty much all the time, as in, in the classroom. Only during her ppa or when she had elsewhere special to go would we be in there without her.

For my second, the teacher was in the room for the first few bits of teaching but started to be out more later on as she had lots to do! I think it's a lot to do with this rather than the stage of your placement tbh. But don't worry, they won't tell you to teach and run off, they will be hanging around at least at the start to be there if they're needed.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was exactly what happened today. I now have a timetable of 5 lessons for me to teach - 1 set of y7s twice a week, a y8, y9 and y10.

I have an 8am class tomorrow morning with my itt coordinator and I think that's when a more structured system for outside of teaching will happen. Need to identify a couple of teachers who don't mind me watching them.

Accidentally missed second registration though because I was chatting with my mentor. Feel a bit awful about that :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm reading the next section of a book to my class tomorrow as part of their literacy lesson. This is the first time I will have interacted with them as a whole class...and my mentor is on PPA all day so it's with a supply (not sure if that makes me feel better or worse lol)! I am very excited but a bit nervous too.

I felt so much more like a teacher today though, and am getting involved in leading group activities and behaviour management. :-)
Original post by Esmeralda4
I'm reading the next section of a book to my class tomorrow as part of their literacy lesson. This is the first time I will have interacted with them as a whole class...and my mentor is on PPA all day so it's with a supply (not sure if that makes me feel better or worse lol)! I am very excited but a bit nervous too.

I felt so much more like a teacher today though, and am getting involved in leading group activities and behaviour management. :-)

That sounds exciting! I tried a bit of gentle behaviour management today but didn't want to step on the teachers toes. Can definitely see that you need eyes absolutely everywhere to cope with year 7 classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
That sounds exciting! I tried a bit of gentle behaviour management today but didn't want to step on the teachers toes. Can definitely see that you need eyes absolutely everywhere to cope with year 7 classes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't imagine dealing with secondary classes! Haha. I'm in year 3 at the moment - they can push the boundaries but I'm currently okay. We will see how long that lasts once I'm teaching full lessons!!!
I can't imagine dealing with secondary classes! Haha. I'm in year 3 at the moment - they can push the boundaries but I'm currently okay. We will see how long that lasts once I'm teaching full lessons!!!

I've never understood that! I'd much rather moody teens than snotty littluns! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
I've never understood that! I'd much rather moody teens than snotty littluns! Haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh no. I mean, I've worked with teenagers and enjoyed it very much, but a whole class of them is a different matter. Haha!

I guess it's a good job we have both types of teacher out there!
Ooh no. I mean, I've worked with teenagers and enjoyed it very much, but a whole class of them is a different matter. Haha!

I guess it's a good job we have both types of teacher out there!

Indeed! Requires very different skills and personalities I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just about to finish my first assignment of the year on reflective practise, oh the joy!
So I didn't just read today, I also taught some of the lesson asking questions about the book and leading recap of previous lesson! I feel so much more confident now - very proud of myself. :-P Just a shame my mentor didn't get to see it.
I think I might ask to start doing little teaching bits next week. Didn't get to do much today.

Need to ask to get involved in other things now too. Helping to run the coding club with my mentor but I need a second extra curricular and several days following people around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just found out about my placement school - a really nice grammar school that is geographically very close to me. Unfortunately, I can't drive and it's a bit more of a trek via public transport, but you can't have everything (it's still a shorter commute than to my university, anyway). I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in, and actually getting to be in the classroom.

For those of you already on placements (or more experienced than that), would it be wise to ask to start teaching small parts of lessons pretty soon on (I.E. about a week into my placement). As it sounds like in most cases I wouldn't really be teaching for the first 3 weeks. On one hand, I really want to get involved, and would like to start to build a rapport with the class; on the other, I know it's going to get really busy pretty soon, so should I just enjoy the observations?
Original post by tory88
Just found out about my placement school - a really nice grammar school that is geographically very close to me. Unfortunately, I can't drive and it's a bit more of a trek via public transport, but you can't have everything (it's still a shorter commute than to my university, anyway). I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in, and actually getting to be in the classroom.

For those of you already on placements (or more experienced than that), would it be wise to ask to start teaching small parts of lessons pretty soon on (I.E. about a week into my placement). As it sounds like in most cases I wouldn't really be teaching for the first 3 weeks. On one hand, I really want to get involved, and would like to start to build a rapport with the class; on the other, I know it's going to get really busy pretty soon, so should I just enjoy the observations?

Watch and learn. They have a phased start for a reason.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just a tad overenthusiastic, which can't be a bad thing.
Original post by tory88
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just a tad overenthusiastic, which can't be a bad thing.

Enthusiastic is good. Over anything is not always good. Calmness is an underrated virtue in a classroom, but a very useful one if you can pull it off.
Starting to panic. Have to teach 3 year olds for an hour on Monday.
Original post by sunfowers01

Don't, they are lovely! They trust you as an adult and they want to make you happy. And they can do much more than expected.

What context are you teaching them in?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tory88

It really depends on your school/mentor and how they want to do things.

On my first placement (this time 2 years ago) my mentor said she wanted my role to be absolutely clear, that I was there to teach not to be a TA or something. So she asked me to spend the first week (which the university had timetabled as a "preparation week") just observing, not helping pupils with work or teaching parts of lessons. Then after that I was straight into teaching full 1-hour lessons (I never did "teaching small parts of lessons" but I know people in other departments did).

I think if I did it again and could choose, I would like a phased start, but not with just teaching parts of lessons. I'd like to start by picking up just one or two of the groups I'd be teaching, but for whole lessons. Then I could concentrate on planning whole lessons whilst still observing other groups. It would be especially helpful to observe another teacher with the same year group and topic after teaching my own lesson so I could see what they did differently and reflect on it.

But ultimately, your school will have an idea of what they want you to do and unless it seems totally unreasonable you'll go along with it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose

I'd say mix it up. I have lessons where I am getting stuck in and helping out. These are lessons I will eventually be taking over. I have other lessons where I just sit and observe. I make notes and then compile them at the end of the day on my computer for further evidence.
Original post by sunfowers01

What are you expected to do? Seems a long time for 3 year olds?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending