The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Felicity Smoak
I'd say mix it up. I have lessons where I am getting stuck in and helping out. These are lessons I will eventually be taking over. I have other lessons where I just sit and observe. I make notes and then compile them at the end of the day on my computer for further evidence.

I'd say do what the mentor asks you to do as part of their school's programme of training.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'd say do what the mentor asks you to do as part of their school's programme of training.

This is true but if you're only being told to observe up until the day you're dropped into teaching whole lessons (as is the case in some places) then it's going to be very difficult. You've got no professional relationships established with the pupils which is key if you want to do well. It's kind of why most places phase you in.
Original post by Felicity Smoak
This is true but if you're only being told to observe up until the day you're dropped into teaching whole lessons (as is the case in some places) then it's going to be very difficult. You've got no professional relationships established with the pupils which is key if you want to do well. It's kind of why most places phase you in.

Yes, I'm aware, having been a mentor for 8 years, what the procedure is. That is why I say follow what the mentor says. They have been teaching for a decent length of time and the system has been set up to allow the trainee, who hasn't been teaching a decent length of time, to ease into the school in a way they deem appropriate.
Carnation - PRSOM (yet again).

OP - I can't imagine any school where you get to choose what you are doing. Either the school or the university will have a set procedure that you will be expected to follow.
Original post by diamondsky89
What are you expected to do? Seems a long time for 3 year olds?!

Only if you're gonna try and sit them down or structure the play for the whole hour. Most nursery sessions are at least 3 hours. Presumably sunflowers isn't planning/being asked to do an hour of adult focused stuff, if they are God help them!!! Lol.

Sunflowers, let us know how it went. I know it can be scary, year 6s scare me! But EYFS I love.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been able to do some whole class things in my first week - not whole lessons, though, just reading, leading recaps etc. My school have been quite open to what I feel would be best for me but I have followed the university guidelines quite a lot. As others have said, it is a phased start for a reason. Still, I see no reason why you couldn't ask to do something small with the whole class if you wanted (I'm with Primary though so don't know how easy this would be in a secondary setting?).

Original post by tory88
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm just a tad overenthusiastic, which can't be a bad thing.
I got my first group teaching tomorrow. It is maths, feeling slightly excited :biggrin:

My first placement has been amazing so far , don't really want to go to another school for next term.

How's everyone getting on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woop! Ive just been told I'm teaching a year 7 class next monday! How exciting
Original post by Ratchit99
Woop! Ive just been told I'm teaching a year 7 class next monday! How exciting

Very :smile: what subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Very :smile: what subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 7 ict, have to teach them how to use voice recording software :smile:
It's really interesting seeing everyone talking about placements. Although we're spending time in our main school, we're not on placement til November. We don't even find out where we're going for two weeks yet! Really enjoying the course though.
Year 7 ict, have to teach them how to use voice recording software :smile:

Cool. The new ICT curriculum seems quite interesting now it's leaning more towards computing and coding. Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Cool. The new ICT curriculum seems quite interesting now it's leaning more towards computing and coding. Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks hun :smile: fingers crossed it all goes ok!
Thanks hun :smile: fingers crossed it all goes ok!

I'm sure it will :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find writing these lesson evaluations really time consuming at the moment! Need to write them at the time really, but its hard as I have other things to write about too at the time!
I'm doing a Primary PGCE, and we are not in school until the week after next. That's for preliminary days, then a week back in uni, then proper placement until Christmas. We are finding out where we have been placed today....eeep!
Start my first placement on Monday. I'm Secondary. Mixed feelings though. I kind of just want to get in and get on with it, but at the same time I'm worrying about the workload - Uni work for an assignment due in at the end of the month in addition to the actual workload associated with the placement.
Original post by adastraz
I'm doing a Primary PGCE, and we are not in school until the week after next. That's for preliminary days, then a week back in uni, then proper placement until Christmas. We are finding out where we have been placed today....eeep!

Are you at Winchester???
Going into my first placement school for the first time tomorrow. I'm slightly nervous, but mostly confident. It looks like a really nice school, and a great place to learn to teach (it's a grammar school, so I'm anticipating high expectations). They follow the IB, which isn't something I have any experience with at all beyond deciding not to take it myself a few years ago.

Overall, I'm really looking forward to it, even with quite an early start (which I know I'll have to get used to as a teacher). It all feels real now, for the first time on the course.
Hopefully going to be taking a whole lesson for an entire hour with all the kids next week! Kinda scary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending