The Student Room Group

How do you pass your theory test?

Hello, everyone! :smile:
I've just signed up on here, and I'm looking for some advice.
A very simple question - how do you pass your theory test?

I took my theory test almost a month ago and I failed it. I failed more on the hazard perception test. I was told to click every time I saw a potential hazard and then a developing hazard. Other people say to click only when there is a developing hazard. Which do I do, because I've got another test coming up and I don't want to fail again. :frown:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

You pass by being good...

Nah for real, it's developing and potential, but don't click for every stage, just when it starts and when it escalates to something more. Really helps looking at mocks/reading up online.

Good luck for next time!
Reply 2
You have to get enough questions right so that your score is too good to be classed as a failure. I suspect you may struggle.
I failed first time- was two marks off in hazard perception. Any tips on how to improve?
Don't worry:smile: loads of people I reckon fail probably around 2 times either a few marks of multiple choice/hazard perception!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I took my test again yesterday and failed again. However, I revised my theory some much - and my hazard perception hardly. It turns out I got 39 on my theory and 65 on my hazard perception! 10 marks off of full marks!!!

Here's what I did: be super paranoid. Click for every dip, pedestrian, car coming out a side road - everything. Aim to get around 5-10 clicks per clip. Let me know how you go on, whoever is taking there test. :smile:

^^^ It's just like video says before you do it, the woman doing the test on the video is clicking loads.
Original post by Batemaann
I took my test again yesterday and failed again. However, I revised my theory some much - and my hazard perception hardly. It turns out I got 39 on my theory and 65 on my hazard perception! 10 marks off of full marks!!!

Here's what I did: be super paranoid. Click for every dip, pedestrian, car coming out a side road - everything. Aim to get around 5-10 clicks per clip. Let me know how you go on, whoever is taking there test. :smile:

^^^ It's just like video says before you do it, the woman doing the test on the video is clicking loads.

That's me. I have been told that as well. I tried to do that, but I just cannot click quickly enough. :frown: Advice for Theory- I have an app that has around 959 questions on it. If you get the app, literally find the time to do every single question possible. I spent two hours doing all 959 questions, and this meant that when I went into the test, I had seen all bar four of the questions.
Original post by GoldenEmblem277
Theory- I have an app that has around 959 questions on it. If you get the app, literally find the time to do every single question possible. I spent two hours doing all 959 questions, and this meant that when I went into the test, I had seen all bar four of the questions.

What's the app called?
I passed my theory first time yesterday.
46/50 on questions and 51/75 on hazard perception.
I revised a lot on the questions even though I still had half of the questions left to complete in my DSA theory book I ensured that I read over the extracts at the beginning of each topic a few times. It's ideal that you read the whole book as some of the questions may not look familiar which happened to me so I made educated guesses. - my fault for not doing all the questions as I was hesitant on time.

Remember that in the test don't rush through the questions. In mocks it usually took me 10-12 mins to complete but in the real test I made sure I went slow on the questions and took about 25 mins as misreading is very easy. If you come across an unfamiliar question, it isn't really difficult to figure out the answer from the choices as it very general and mostly requires general knowledge.

Finally hazard perception. The least I revised on. I only started practices clips online and on mobile phones apps a few days before my test. I thought it would be easy but got scared by others views about the test. Remember to be fully concentrating on the test. Always click when you see a potential developing hazard. In each clip on average I end up clicking about 5-7 times. In my actual test I think I did fine apart from one clip I wasn't concentrating and turned round to look at someone leaving the exam room so ended up scoring 0 points for that one clip as I missed the developing hazard. Otherwise I think I would have done pretty well in it. So remember to fully concentrate.

Good Luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Distraught247
What's the app called?

Driving Test Success Theory Bundle- It should cost around £2? It has Theory, Hazard Awareness and the Highway Code on it.
Revise my multiple questions and hazard perception every day. Just keep taking mock tests and keep reading the highway code as well. It is easy! If you put your work into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, you can attend a theory test course there is one i went to which was 2 days, 2 hours eavh day - they teach in the class room and then on the computers - was really well structured- was £49.00 for the course. Located in West London near Westfield Shopping Centre and they do have a 96% pass rate - i passed using them. its through a London driving school called "Want Driving Lessons" - hope that helps.
I passed with a weeks revision of the official theory book

some people claim to pass by doing just a "couple" of practice exams the night before, but i think they're liars.
Reply 13
I just did all the questions in the theory book as well as read the highway code. After doing all the questions I did quite a lot of mock tests :smile:
Passed with 43/50 and 65/75 today by just reading the Highway Code. Don't know why people waste all this money on books and CDs for
Original post by neal95
Passed with 43/50 and 65/75 today by just reading the Highway Code. Don't know why people waste all this money on books and CDs for

Exactly it's quite easy! !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by neal95

Maybe you didn't realise, but not everyone is as good at some things as you are.....
practise, practise, practise i did it during the holidays before i was going to cape verde i only had 2 weeks because teens procrastinate im doing it now :frown: should be doing my english essay tho any way i passed borrow the cd from a library and read the highway code download all the apps on your phone i wish u all the best
Original post by anonwinner
Maybe you didn't realise, but not everyone is as good at some things as you are.....

But it's generally baby questions like what colour traffic lights mean.. keeping safe! etc ..Nothing extremely difficult even chavs can pass it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have to agree with some of the others, the theory test is quite easy. It's all common sense!

Q. An old person is crossing the road. Do you:
A. Rev your engine so they know you’re there
B. Honk your horn so they hurry up
C. Wait patiently
D. Get out of the car and hit them with a shovel.

hmm... it must be D!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending