The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garfeeled
So you wouldn't force the mother through the pregnancy?

Don't you mean I would?

If a woman is pregnant and doesn't want the baby, she can only blame herself. It is unfair to blame the unborn baby and kill it through abortion.
Original post by InsertWittyName
Btw, 365,000 babies are born every day. That means that there would be 55 million babies that would be killed that would have been born in the next 5 months.

Also, sacrificing everyone else is not exactly selfless.

Saving your species by killing a unborn moon creature is incredibly selfish because you're saving your own skin. Therefore saving the moon creature and sacrificing your species is a act of selflessness in my opinion.
Original post by Unibuster325
Don't you mean I would?

If a woman is pregnant and doesn't want the baby, she can only blame herself. It is unfair to blame the unborn baby and kill it through abortion.

So even if the act of giving birth would probably kill the mother. It unfair to force the mother through the birth and kill her.
So even if the act of giving birth would probably kill the mother. It unfair to force the mother through the birth and kill her.

It's more unfair on the unborn child, who has done nothing wrong to deserve what is essentially murder.
I really enjoyed Jenna Coleman's performance in the episode. She did a great job with the angry retaliation to the Doctor deserting Clara. It was a shame this powerful scene was undone moments later but it was still a good moment nonetheless. The whole episode felt a bit pointless though with there being no real drama/conflict in the end as the "deadly creature" just flew off and left another moon.
It's more unfair on the unborn child, who has done nothing wrong to deserve what is essentially murder.

but most people havent done anything to deserve death.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Urgh just caught up on it, shouldn't have bothered. Courtney needs to vanish.

Doctor just leaves a troubled moron child with knowledge of who and what he is, as well as knowledge of who is Companion is, so valuable information on who to torture should someone want to get near the Doctor.

The idiot child also has pictures that she has put on to Facebook or whatever. He didn't delete them, just told her to come and bring the TARDIS to him.

Entire episode was a nonsense.

Moon baby gives lays an egg bigger than it's entire mass :facepalm2:
Thought this episode was better but like many of the episodes this series just a bit too samey to past ones (this one felt like Waters of Mars although not as good, Into the Dalek was similar to JTTCOTT). The only other quibble I had (and it's not an important one really) is the high amount of variance in the Doctor's costume, I don't mind it every so often but he seems to wearing a different combination every single episode, to the point where we only know the white shirt and waistcoat/cardigan is the main one because it was in the poster. It is from a visual POV meant to be what defines him from previous incarnations after all (like a signature). It made it worse that it wasn't that nice a shirt this week :wink:
It was alright, but it veered too far into the realms of absurdity. I can accept some amount of physics nonsense for the sake of entertainment but this was the episode that went a bit too far. The suspension of belief disappeared to an extent. I can accept things like time travel, sound in space, blah blah blah etc. but:

1) Firstly, any fellow biologists wondering how the heck those moon spiders could possibly be unicellular prokaryotic organisms? It could have been forgiven if the Doctor hadn't specifically said that only scientists would understand. Scientists would know it isn't even possible for highly differentiated, badger-sized prokaryotes like that to exist!
2) Tides would still occur but would be tied to the Sun instead, meaning they would be smaller and with a different pattern, but would still occur - unlike what Clara claimed. I guess that could just be Clara's lack of scientific understanding, but I get the feeling the writer wasn't aware of this fact either.
3) Tides big enough to destroy cities, eh? And yet they travel to a remarkably pristine beach at the end of the ep...
4) The moon creature laid an egg the same size as itself? Huh?
Do you know what I miss. The 2-parters. Moffat seems to have just done away with them in favour of short and sweet nonsensical episodes that just seem rushed. Bar 'Blink' everyone's favourite episodes seem to be 2-parters. 'The Empty Child', 'The Impossible Planet', 'Aliens of London', and 'Silence in the Library' were all great 2-parters that are remembered as some of the best episodes of those series'. The saddest thing is that half of those that I've mentioned were actually written by Moffat. Come on Moffat, let's have some more 2-parters in the middle of the series. Ones where you can actually develop some sort of coherent and interesting plot.
Original post by The Rusty Spork

The idiot child also has pictures that she has put on to Facebook or whatever. He didn't delete them, just told her to come and bring the TARDIS to him.]

Tumblr. Hermione Norris is 47. Her character is surely going to be at least 40, which means she was born at the latest in 2009. I very much doubt her 'granny' (who was probably at least 45 in 2009) used to post on Tumblr. Unless I'm mistaken and lots of middle aged women post on Tumblr of course?
What right do we have to survive over another species of another race that hasn't even been born yet? To kill the moon creature and save ourselves is selfish and in my opinion, cruel when it hasn't even been born.

That's crazy.

The unborn child in that scenario is younger.

Some people die that deserve life, and others live that deserve death. Have you got what it takes to give it to them? Don't be so quick to jump to rash judgement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cakefish
It was alright, but it veered too far into the realms of absurdity. I can accept some amount of physics nonsense for the sake of entertainment but this was the episode that went a bit too far. The suspension of belief disappeared to an extent. I can accept things like time travel, sound in space, blah blah blah etc. but:

1) Firstly, any fellow biologists wondering how the heck those moon spiders could possibly be unicellular prokaryotic organisms? It could have been forgiven if the Doctor hadn't specifically said that only scientists would understand. Scientists would know it isn't even possible for highly differentiated, badger-sized prokaryotes like that to exist!
2) Tides would still occur but would be tied to the Sun instead, meaning they would be smaller and with a different pattern, but would still occur - unlike what Clara claimed. I guess that could just be Clara's lack of scientific understanding, but I get the feeling the writer wasn't aware of this fact either.
3) Tides big enough to destroy cities, eh? And yet they travel to a remarkably pristine beach at the end of the ep...
4) The moon creature laid an egg the same size as itself? Huh?

The answer is the same for all 4 questions:

Science fiction :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Rusty Spork
Doctor just leaves a troubled moron child with knowledge of who and what he is, as well as knowledge of who is Companion is, so valuable information on who to torture should someone want to get near the Doctor.

The idiot child also has pictures that she has put on to Facebook or whatever. He didn't delete them, just told her to come and bring the TARDIS to him.

Entire episode was a nonsense.

Moon baby gives lays an egg bigger than it's entire mass :facepalm2:

Could lead to an epic encounter for the finale where this is played upon. Could be why the Doctor has to come back and it is here that Clara (and Danny) go off with him. Or he picks up Clara and Danny in the next episode and they come back for the finale in which Courtney needs saving. It will then be here that Danny dies and leaves Clara broken and needing a 'Doctor'.

Original post by GCSEsitter
I actually think that capaldi could be a good doctor if he had a decent sorry line for once. I know the season has just started, but come on, I just re watched the silence in the library episodes and even that which was a pretty wacky plot beat all this series' episodes put together! Also, what happened to the master and the doctors daughter. If they brought them back and focused the plot on them rather than Clara it would turn the series around(for good)

We're over half way. The last episode was 7/12.

Original post by Kool_Panda
Do you know what I miss. The 2-parters. Moffat seems to have just done away with them in favour of short and sweet nonsensical episodes that just seem rushed. Bar 'Blink' everyone's favourite episodes seem to be 2-parters. 'The Empty Child', 'The Impossible Planet', 'Aliens of London', and 'Silence in the Library' were all great 2-parters that are remembered as some of the best episodes of those series'. The saddest thing is that half of those that I've mentioned were actually written by Moffat. Come on Moffat, let's have some more 2-parters in the middle of the series. Ones where you can actually develop some sort of coherent and interesting plot.

The best two parter was 'Human Nature/Family of Blood' in my opinion. :yep:

I don't think that 'Aliens of London' was a good storyline. One of the worst stories for CE. The other three you mentioned were top notch however.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only thing I like is it explains why humans started breaching out all over the Universe which the Doctor has refered to quite a bit in previous episodes.
This series has lacked (as has been mentioned) mid season two parters so that the stories can actually be developed properly and not lead to a rushed ending, I wouldn't mind actually if we had more two parters than stand alone episodes. But at least we get one for the series finale, and after Nightmare in Silver and Closing Time I'm hoping it's a good Cybermen story (unless they're on the periphery with more focus on Missy and Seb).
This weekend's episode looks like it will be very similar to Voyage of the Damned, so far Listen and Time Heist are the only ones close to an original story the rest have been lesser versions of past episodes.
personally think that this has been the best series for ages
Original post by KingStannis
personally think that this has been the best series for ages

Agreed. It's not really had a big hitter like a Vincent and the Doctor or Blink, but I can't think of a properly bad episode like a closing time. It's been a solid season, which is better than 1 good episode, 9 mediocre ones and a couple of bad episodes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest