The Student Room Group

Please can a politics genius tell me what this means?

I don't know what "workings of its institutions of government" means?

If I put it into context it says: a constitution is a set of rules by which a country is governed,and is concerned with the workings of its institutions of government and rights of its citizens.

I know what a constitution is but the "workings of its institutions of government" is confusinggggg meeee!!!!
Reply 1
this might not clarify things all that much,...... but if i was to rewrite the sentence: "a constitution is a set of rules by which a country is governed,and is concerned with the workings of its institutions of government and rights of its citizens.", i would rephrase it as:

: a constitution is a collection of rules that sets out how a country is supposed to be governed. Every country has some sort of government and each government is made up of a number of institutions. In Britain those institutions include the House of Commons, the House Of Lords, the cabinet and the judges etc. A constitution sets out how all the different institutions are supposed to function, and how they are supposed to work together. A constitution also is supposed to set out the rights of the citizens, but different countries have very different ideas of what those "rights" should be.
Original post by rd2000
this might not clarify things all that much,...... but if i was to rewrite the sentence: "a constitution is a set of rules by which a country is governed,and is concerned with the workings of its institutions of government and rights of its citizens.", i would rephrase it as:

: a constitution is a collection of rules that sets out how a country is supposed to be governed. Every country has some sort of government and each government is made up of a number of institutions. In Britain those institutions include the House of Commons, the House Of Lords, the cabinet and the judges etc. A constitution sets out how all the different institutions are supposed to function, and how they are supposed to work together. A constitution also is supposed to set out the rights of the citizens, but different countries have very different ideas of what those "rights" should be.

Oh Lord, is this simplified?
Reply 3
the constitution sets out the rules of how things work within the institutions of government

institutions of government= the various bodies that make up/support the workings of the government, it can be tightly defined or more loosely define to include more or less different institutions. Not to be confused to with government institutions which are any government ran/owned/controlled organisation such as a school.

It'd indisputably include the civil service, cabinet and government departments. It would typically include the local equivalents, in this case to the extent to which they are impacted by the constitution- similarly the EU at an international level. More broadly likely to include both houses of parliament and courts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending