The Student Room Group

daughter wants to do joint honorurs in sport and drama

hi there was hoping someone can help me . does anyone know what universities do joint honours in sport and drama my daughter has her heart set on doing both her main aim is to be a pe teacher but she is also insistent on following her dream so to speak and doing drama . hope someone can help as i want to help as mush as i can . ps shes in her 1st year at a levels thanks in advance pete
Reply 1
Check out Exeter uni ?
Reply 2
Have a look at Northampton, they do a large mix and match of joint honours
It is quite an odd combination so there wouldn't be a lot of universities offering that course. The ones i could find were:

Northampton University - Sports Studies and Drama
Manchester Metropolitan University - Drama and Sport
Sunderland University - Drama and Sport & Drama with Sport
Original post by pete76
hi there was hoping someone can help me . does anyone know what universities do joint honours in sport and drama my daughter has her heart set on doing both her main aim is to be a pe teacher but she is also insistent on following her dream so to speak and doing drama . hope someone can help as i want to help as mush as i can . ps shes in her 1st year at a levels thanks in advance pete

Hi Pete,

It's a really unusual combination, and so not many unis do it. You can find a full list of unis that do any given course at www.ucas.com but Aquamarine has already correctly identified the only three unis that offer that combination, and none of them have a particularly stunning reputation truth be told.

I would suggest that she picks one for her degree subject, and then carries on the other in her spare time. Luckily, there will be lots of drama and sport related extra curriculars no matter where she goes. That will give her far more choice, and allow her to go to a uni that's much better for her course e.g. Loughborough for sport, or Guildhall for Drama.

To become a teacher, she'll need to do a relevant subject for her degree, and then do a PGCE, Teach First (though that's not a route open to prospective PE / drama teachers) or School Direct.

OB
Reply 5
lol. sport and dance, so ambitious.
Reply 6
she is very ambitious her aim for ages has been to become a pe teacher, her dream was an actress , but as she has gone through school/colledge she has really enjoyed drama ans has become quite the actress so she decided to try and do both .. i have tried to encourage her to concentrate on the one and carry on the other as a hobby type interest but she is one stubborn young lady ive looked into the uni's that offer the joint courses and im not impressed at all .. before this she was looking at sheffield (we live in hull so not to far) and birmingham (as im from brum and have a big family base for support) but loughborough looks a very good uni ..
Doing a joint subject course in Drama at Uni will not help her 'be an actress'. Drama is an academic subject, not a practical training to be a performer.

It sounds like she needs to work out what she wants to do with her life rather than trying to combine two subjects as an extension to being in school plays/liking PE. She can always continue an interest in sport or in theatre at Uni outside her course through Drama society productions or Uni sport.

If she is interested in studying the physicality of theatre- ie. the way performers use their bodies for expression, then the combo of sport/theatre makes more sense. Look at the course at the course at Leeds for example http://www.pci.leeds.ac.uk/ug/theatre-performance/ or Essex http://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/course_details.aspx?course=ba++w494. But you do still have to ask yourself, what will she actually do with this degree??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
She might as well toss 27k out of a fast moving car on London
Reply 9
Original post by Jam'
She might as well toss 27k out of a fast moving car on London

hahah dont mention london .. but she is bright enough to know she wont become an actress but thats what started her interest in drama of, like i said the harder something is the more she goes for it .. ive told her to wait till she has finnished this first year in 6th form then look at where she is ..
Reply 10
My uni, Hertfordshire, probably offer that.
Original post by pete76
she is very ambitious her aim for ages has been to become a pe teacher, her dream was an actress , but as she has gone through school/colledge she has really enjoyed drama ans has become quite the actress so she decided to try and do both .. i have tried to encourage her to concentrate on the one and carry on the other as a hobby type interest but she is one stubborn young lady ive looked into the uni's that offer the joint courses and im not impressed at all .. before this she was looking at sheffield (we live in hull so not to far) and birmingham (as im from brum and have a big family base for support) but loughborough looks a very good uni ..

Time for a dose of realism, I fear. Trying to do joint hons has lots of disadvantages and relatively few advantages. It sounds like she would be better off doing a sport based course, and there are lots of drama clubs e.g.
http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/sutco/ (Sheffield theatre)
http://www.shef.ac.uk/union/get-involved/societies/performing-arts/ (Sheffield musical theatre)
http://www.guildofstudents.com/groups/article19-theatre (Brum theatre)
http://www.guildofstudents.com/groups/musical-theatre-gmtg (Brum musical theatre)
http://www.guildofstudents.com/groups/infinity-stage-company (Brum community drama projects)
http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/stage/ (Loughborough theatre)
http://www.lsu.co.uk/society/shakespear/ (Loughborough Shakespeare)
So it's not like she'd be deprived of acting if she did study sport.

Your daughter should be aware of the differences between different drama courses. Some are very much academic courses, a bit like English Literature but studying the theatre (e.g. Uni of Manchester), and others are completely vocational courses that are designed to train actors (e.g. Guildhall and RADA). Others still will fall somewhere inbetween.

Could you show her this thread? It might help her to see that it's not just clueless dad prattling on about something and trying to spoil her fun, but that complete (fairly knowledgeable!) strangers have the same opinion too.
Looking at this practically, plenty of actors start by doing something else first. Plenty of teachers quit to follow another career.

She is far better getting qualified as a PE teacher. If she then wants to follow her dream as an actress, she will be able to return to teaching if it doesn't work out. However plenty of teachers will say that teaching is an acting profession anyway.
Reply 13
Flexible Combined Honours at Exeter would potentially offer that combination, but it's quite competitive to get on to.
Original post by pete76

Not a parent so I feel a bit out of place here, but I have some thoughts which your daughter may find helpful. I have addressed them to your daughter as it is her decision to make.

1. All unis have some extracurricular drama and many people do am dram and act in their spare time while following another career. If this is an option go for single honours Sport Science and be a PE teacher.
2. A Drama degree is about as good as a Sport Science degree for becoming a professional actress. In order to do that you will need to go to a Drama School (LAMDA, RADA etc.) and then be very lucky when you leave. Entry to these is extremely competitive and they will expect huge amounts of prior experience - it is basically unheard of for someone to get an offer without spending a gap year getting performance experience. An exception is if you already have professional film or stage experience - this means more than a background face in a film or acting in as school play.
3. If you are talented and lucky enough to get into a Drama School, your back-up career can be as a drama teacher rather than a PE teacher, so it is not necessary to take Sport Science in order to make sure you can get a job.
4. Someone is bound to accuse me of snobbery, but here goes: a joint honours in Drama and Sport Science, especially bearing in mind the three unis which offer that course, will not be looked upon especially highly by potential employers.

Sources: one friend who went to Central School of Music and Dramatic Arts and another who is studying a foundation at the Lir in Dublin, hoping to get on the full course next year, as well as teachers and other students in my drama group.

If your daughter has any questions I would be happy to help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nerdcake
but I have some thoughts which your daughter may find helpful. I have addressed them to your daughter as it is her decision to make.

This query was raised in Feb so presumably said daughter made her decisions and may now be applying for Uni. It would be interesting to know what she has decided to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
This query was raised in Feb so presumably said daughter made her decisions and may now be applying for Uni. It would be interesting to know what she has decided to do.

Oh, sorry, my bad for not checking the dates. But yes, I am now interested in the final decision. Wow, I figured everything on the front page of the forum was recent enough to reply to, guess this forum moves really slowly...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending