The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2015 applicants - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
hi guys

im from south africa, applying to Oxford. Is the test which is written on november 5th, for 2015 applicants ? also, is there an alternate date ?
Original post by AzraaB
hi guys

im from south africa, applying to Oxford. Is the test which is written on november 5th, for 2015 applicants ? also, is there an alternate date ?

heya,yeah it's for 2015 applicants and I think you have to do it on the 5th (not completely sure though)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AzraaB
hi guys

5th of November is the only date, and there's only one paper
Reply 83
Hi everyone,

I have a few short questions: during the essay section of the TSA do they prefer you to take a position while writing or to just discuss the question? The questions presented in the TSA are quite difficult to answer so it's challenging to take a position and defend it properly, whilst also considering counterarguments in your essay, in 30 minutes. So far I have just left my own opinion out of it and wrote more of reflection type of essay where I considered the pros and cons. A friend who currently studies PPE in Oxford however told me that they want you to take a position.
Besides that, what is the average length of the essay? I usually write about 2 full A4s, but I don't know whether that is too long.
Lastly, what is considered to be a 'good' score for the MC section? I practiced once now and got 37 out of 50. I think I can improve as I did it after a long day of school, so not optimal, and it is only the first time I did one. I don't know however what applicants invited for the interview usually get.
I hope someone can help me out here, thanks in advance!
Reply 84
Original post by Adriaan
Hi everyone,

I have a few short questions: during the essay section of the TSA do they prefer you to take a position while writing or to just discuss the question? The questions presented in the TSA are quite difficult to answer so it's challenging to take a position and defend it properly, whilst also considering counterarguments in your essay, in 30 minutes. So far I have just left my own opinion out of it and wrote more of reflection type of essay where I considered the pros and cons. A friend who currently studies PPE in Oxford however told me that they want you to take a position.
Besides that, what is the average length of the essay? I usually write about 2 full A4s, but I don't know whether that is too long.
Lastly, what is considered to be a 'good' score for the MC section? I practiced once now and got 37 out of 50. I think I can improve as I did it after a long day of school, so not optimal, and it is only the first time I did one. I don't know however what applicants invited for the interview usually get.
I hope someone can help me out here, thanks in advance!

They do prefer you to take a position, so I'd probably make a two points for and against but justify why you think one side of your argument is stronger when making points against your point of view. You only get 2 a4 pages in the test so it's definitely more about the quality of your points/originality rather than getting all the points of the argument in. For your score on the multiple choice section it depends on the difficulty of the test. Check the TSA website for the conversation of your score to the TSA's equivalent of UMS. Generally 37 is good for a first go though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by LFR
They do prefer you to take a position, so I'd probably make a two points for and against but justify why you think one side of your argument is stronger when making points against your point of view. You only get 2 a4 pages in the test so it's definitely more about the quality of your points/originality rather than getting all the points of the argument in. For your score on the multiple choice section it depends on the difficulty of the test. Check the TSA website for the conversation of your score to the TSA's equivalent of UMS. Generally 37 is good for a first go though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your quick reply. Do you think that they prefer you to already take position in the introduction or in the conclusion after the arguments? And isn't it then better to focus more on the side that you agree with and also counter argue against the side you don't agree with.
Original post by Adriaan
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you think that they prefer you to already take position in the introduction or in the conclusion after the arguments? And isn't it then better to focus more on the side that you agree with and also counter argue against the side you don't agree with.

I sat the TSA last year, and my structure involved a brief introduction that sort of introduced the debate, followed by a paragraph detaling the points of the view that opposes mine. In the following paragraph I put forward the points of my side of the debate, while also (if possible) poking holes in the other side's arguments. I then finished up with a conclusion summarising the issue and expressing my opinion
Reply 87
Original post by AKell17
I sat the TSA last year, and my structure involved a brief introduction that sort of introduced the debate, followed by a paragraph detaling the points of the view that opposes mine. In the following paragraph I put forward the points of my side of the debate, while also (if possible) poking holes in the other side's arguments. I then finished up with a conclusion summarising the issue and expressing my opinion

Thanks! Do you think that is a better approach than just discussing the essay question?
Original post by Adriaan
Thanks! Do you think that is a better approach than just discussing the essay question?

Well in a way you are discussing it: by evaluating points from both sides you're showing that you've thought about the whole issue and reached an enlightened conclusion (in theory)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 89
Wanted to ask if the Cambridge International Exams A and AS Level Thinking Skills papers similar to those of the TSA? I mean, can we use them for practice and does the level of difficulty vary much?
Reply 90
Original post by AKell17
Well in a way you are discussing it: by evaluating points from both sides you're showing that you've thought about the whole issue and reached an enlightened conclusion (in theory)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okey thanks for your help, I will use it the next time I practice the essay!
Can anyone please explain the reasoning behind Questions 32, 37, 41 and 48 for the 2008 TSA paper?

Thanks!
I've been doing a few practice TSA's and was wondering if other people were doing the same and if so what scores they are getting, i'm getting in the low 70s almost every time. I'm applying for EM at Oxford and was also wondering what successful applicants have got onto that course with. I'd be interested in any info on the TSA to be honest. Thanks
Reply 93
This is urgent if anyone can answer! I'm applying from Canada and on UCAS my guidance counselor put my marks in for all my grade 11 courses and is awaiting marks from my current grade 12 teachers (these are based off of the one test I've had in each course, which I don't see as very accurate considering I came back from my Duke of Ed canoe trip a day or two before all of our first tests :/). Is it normal to put in all grade eleven courses (i.e. even drama/biology/etc that are lowering my overall average) or no? I took 4 grade 12 courses last year as well so it's not like there's nothing... basically for international applicants what marks should I be putting into UCAS- 6 grade 12 and 6 grade 11, all grade 11 and grade 12 but left blank/pending.. etc. Thanks so much and good luck to all of you!
Original post by lcs23
Would you mind emailing me pictures or scans of some of the tips for critical thinking and strategy? I'm unable to order the book into Canada for under $70... I'd really appreciate it but if you can't I understand :smile:

I live overseas as well, and you can easily buy an ebook for some(not many though) of the prep books at the uk amazon.
I still have not registered for the TSA. School is closed today, do you think Monday It'll be too late?
Original post by Logolept
I still have not registered for the TSA. School is closed today, do you think Monday It'll be too late?

I wouldn't have thought so.

Have your UCAS number ready to avoid further delay.
Original post by BitWindy
I wouldn't have thought so.

Have your UCAS number ready to avoid further delay.

I've got all the details on my side ready, going in tomorrow- apparently my examinations officer should be in. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your reply.
Reply 98
Question 5 and 6 2013 TSA.. help?!
I've only decided that I'm applying to Oxford at the end of September and I haven't started practicing for the TSA! I have less than a month, do you think I'll still be able to fit in enough practice?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending