The Student Room Group

Shooting Society

I wanted to start this thread as I think not many people on TSR, being a UK-based forum, would share this interest, and it's always interesting when threads and topics have a smaller, more close-knit audience.

This isn't a thread for people to debate shooting ethics, nor is it a thread for people to debate hunting. Also importantly, this thread is not a hunting society, it is a shooting society - largely towards target/clay pidgeon and its appropriate firearms open for friendly conversation between those who enjoy, or would like to partake in the sport of shooting.

About me - I never held a gun until I was 12/13 (I think it was close to my 13th birthday, could be a short while either side of it) - and the first was a Walther P22. I always loved handguns, and since then I went target shooting regularly, almost exclusively with handguns. Over the subsequent years, I shot a variety of Sig Sauer, CZ, Glock and Walther pistols, my favourite being the CZ P-07 Duty (however the most comfortable and natural-feeling being the Walther P99 as my hands are a little on the larger side, being a pianist, and I like the wider grips of the P99). I also shot a couple of assault rifles at the range - an MP5, M4 and M16, but I still prefer pistols for target shooting.

Interestingly for an avid shooter, I don't eat meat and I've demonstrated on multiple animal rights marches, but that's more to back-up the point of "not all shooters are animal abusers so don't turn this thread into a poo-throwing match".

So I'd like to start off the thread with my first topic of discussion: What was the first firearm you shot? (Airguns allowed, they're more than capable of performing just as much as live-ammo guns!)
(edited 9 years ago)
AK47 US firing range - aged 22
No8 .22 Rifle when I was in the Air Cadets. I have been 14.

L98A2 again in the cadets.

L85A2 when I got a proper job & joined the RAF :-).
Reply 3
Original post by Bill_Gates
AK47 US firing range - aged 22

Wow. That's a big gun for a first timer. I've never shot 7.62 in my life! How would you describe that first shot (we all remember our first shot!)?

Original post by Tempest II
No8 .22 Rifle when I was in the Air Cadets. I have been 14.

L98A2 again in the cadets.

L85A2 when I got a proper job & joined the RAF :-).

Nice - I like .22LR above .223 for target shooting, unless it's something relatively long range where a subsonic round just won't cut it in terms of spread. It's surprising when you see the two rounds next to each other and have to convince yourself that there's only a 0.003 inch difference in diameter!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
Wow. That's a big gun for a first timer. I've never shot 7.62 in my life! How would you describe that first shot (we all remember our first shot!)?

Nice - I like .22LR above .223 for target shooting, unless it's something relatively long range where a subsonic round just won't cut it in terms of spread. It's surprising when you see the two rounds next to each other and have to convince yourself that there's only a 0.003 inch difference in diameter!

I've shot a lot more guns, to be honest i tend to stay away from machine guns. I do it every time i go to the states, first time was just pure sweat and excitement lol.

But you get use to it, especially the kick backs.
Reply 5
I've shot a lot more guns, to be honest i tend to stay away from machine guns. I do it every time i go to the states, first time was just pure sweat and excitement lol.

But you get use to it, especially the kick backs.

I agree I'm not a fan of automatics. They eat through your credit card faster than the target :P

Handguns for me - .22LR or P+ 9mm. God I hate living in the UK, can't wait till I move - heading out to Indianapolis soon. 3 month probationary period then it's Shall-Issue all the way :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree I'm not a fan of automatics. They eat through your credit card faster than the target :P

Handguns for me - .22LR or P+ 9mm. God I hate living in the UK, can't wait till I move - heading out to Indianapolis soon. 3 month probationary period then it's Shall-Issue all the way :biggrin:

Awesome, yeah i prefer handguns too but when i go shooting range i try to go for the best i can get my hands on lol.

Its actually quite an expensive sport if you go often.
Reply 7
Awesome, yeah i prefer handguns too but when i go shooting range i try to go for the best i can get my hands on lol.

Its actually quite an expensive sport if you go often.

At the club I used to go to there was an RPG range. Only locals were allowed admittance though. Still, three little arabic kids running around with AKs and rocket launchers, didn't exactly help sway the stereotype :P
(edited 9 years ago)
At the club I used to go to there was an RPG range. Only locals were allowed admittance though. Still, three little arabic kids running around with AKs and rocket launchers, didn't exactly help sway the stereotype :P

haha brilliant, the cost varies quite a lot by state too. Some great places to go shooting in california (more open spaces).

Went shooting in vegas in the desert too, not bad but was boiling!
Reply 9
haha brilliant, the cost varies quite a lot by state too. Some great places to go shooting in california (more open spaces).

Went shooting in vegas in the desert too, not bad but was boiling!

I'd have thought california would be more expensive considering the more stringent firearms laws than other states.
Reply 10
Bah! Listen to me. America. "More stringent firearms laws".

LOL
Shot the L98 and .22 with army cadets, and a shotgun clay pigeon shooting on one of the camps, would love to shoot again but making do with archery for now as anything firearms related is dodgy as hell round here (my city in the UK).
I would love to shoot again and have no issues with it, like most things it is what you make it, I also used to be a vegetarian and now I eat ethically sourced and kindly killed meat which supports local farmers. so yeah screw stereotypes!
will see what the future brings!
I have never short à gun. You guys are crazy. Do you just do this through cadets? You sound like psychopathic killers to me.

Quick Reply

Latest