The Student Room Group

Set theory help

I need help, for p1 is it possible to draw a graph? If yes I need help drawing it.
For p2 I need to draw the graph and find the range and domain.

Thank you

In p1 the Q is the set of all rational numbers, and {0} is the empty set ( I think since I've only been taught that the empty set is written as { }, can some please confirm that {0} is the empty set? )
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What's the question?
Reply 2
Original post by james22
What's the question?

I just realised I didn't attach the Q, I've uploaded it now
Reply 3
Original post by Vorsah
I just realised I didn't attach the Q, I've uploaded it now

That isn't a question, what do you actually need to do?

Also {0} is not the empty set, it is the set containing only 0 as an element. The empty set contains no elements.
Reply 4
Original post by james22
That isn't a question, what do you actually need to do?

Also {0} is not the empty set, it is the set containing only 0 as an element. The empty set contains no elements.

I've said what I need help with in the first 2 lines
Reply 5
Original post by Vorsah
I've said what I need help with in the first 2 lines

You haven't, you've given a set and ask if it would help to draw a graph. Since I have no idea what it is your trying to achieve, I cannot say if it would help or not.

What is the full question?
Reply 6
Original post by james22
You haven't, you've given a set and ask if it would help to draw a graph. Since I have no idea what it is your trying to achieve, I cannot say if it would help or not.

What is the full question?

Okay for p1 the the question is: show this relationship on a graph

For p2 the question is: find the range, domain, and show this relationship on a graph
Reply 7
Original post by Vorsah
Okay for p1 the the question is: show this relationship on a graph

For p2 the question is: find the range, domain, and show this relationship on a graph

Is that the full, undeditted question? p1 still makes no sense to me, and p2 I would have to make some assumptions about what is being asked.
Reply 8
Original post by james22
Is that the full, undeditted question? p1 still makes no sense to me, and p2 I would have to make some assumptions about what is being asked.

For p1 I needed to find the domain and range but I've already done that, so I just need to show it on a graph.

For p2 that's the full question
Reply 9
Original post by Vorsah
For p1 I needed to find the domain and range but I've already done that, so I just need to show it on a graph.

For p2 that's the full question

Is this a question about functions? Because domain and range don't make sense without functions.
Reply 10
Original post by james22
Is this a question about functions? Because domain and range don't make sense without functions.

I haven't really done functions yet, this question I think is more to do with relationships
Original post by Vorsah
I haven't really done functions yet, this question I think is more to do with relationships

Can you upload a picture of the question? You seem to be missing a chunk of it out.
Reply 12
Original post by james22
Can you upload a picture of the question? You seem to be missing a chunk of it out.

What I said is the full question. I can't upload the Q because I'm on my iPad and I've literally copied the question from the PowerPoint.
Original post by Vorsah
What I said is the full question. I can't upload the Q because I'm on my iPad and I've literally copied the question from the PowerPoint.

It isn't the full question because it makes absolutely no sense. You haven't even said what you need to find the domain and range of.
Reply 14
Original post by james22
It isn't the full question because it makes absolutely no sense. You haven't even said what you need to find the domain and range of.

The domain and range of P subscript 2 as you can see in the attachment
Original post by Vorsah
The domain and range of P subscript 2 as you can see in the attachment

P_2 is a set, sets do not have domains and ranges.

Quick Reply

Latest