The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spyrogyra
Warwick want an A in the AS you dropped

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got it. What do you think my chances are?
Original post by Kriterz
Hey everyone, I need some help regarding GCSEs. I only got 7 As and 4 Bs at GCSE and am worried they are going to restrict from going to unis such as bristol and nottingham for economics. I got AABB in my AS results (Maths Economics Spanish Psychology) and am predicted A*AA at A2. Do I have any chance of getting an offer from these unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham and Bristol both value predicted grades very highly, and then Nottingham likes the PS and GCSE's while Bristol values GCSE's higher than the PS. You'll have a chance, definitely, but if you want to increase your chances, I
recommend asking for another A* prediction, or to make sure your PS is the absolute best it can be.
Reply 482
Original post by H0PEL3SS
Nottingham and Bristol both value predicted grades very highly, and then Nottingham likes the PS and GCSE's while Bristol values GCSE's higher than the PS. You'll have a chance, definitely, but if you want to increase your chances, I
recommend asking for another A* prediction, or to make sure your PS is the absolute best it can be.

I'm going to pick one of them as my hopeful choice, the rest being AAA-ABB, so if I got my predictions to A*A*A I would have a slight chance of getting one of these, but I don't have further maths and I get the impression it's more important for Bristol so would I be better of applying to Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kriterz
I'm going to pick one of them as my hopeful choice, the rest being AAA-ABB, so if I got my predictions to A*A*A I would have a slight chance of getting one of these, but I don't have further maths and I get the impression it's more important for Bristol so would I be better of applying to Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You already have a chance, as you've met the entry requirements, I'm just saying getting better predictions works in your favour. Further maths isn't required as a subject for either, only maths. I did get the impression that they both have fairly mathematical courses, so I think it's down to personal preference.
Reply 484
Original post by H0PEL3SS
You already have a chance, as you've met the entry requirements, I'm just saying getting better predictions works in your favour. Further maths isn't required as a subject for either, only maths. I did get the impression that they both have fairly mathematical courses, so I think it's down to personal preference.

Ah ok, well in terms of unis like Leeds, Sheffield and Cardiff, will my GCSEs have much of an impact on whether I get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kriterz
Ah ok, well in terms of unis like Leeds, Sheffield and Cardiff, will my GCSEs have much of an impact on whether I get an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, not really. They are not particularly compeititive and you exceed the required grades so should get an offer.
Reply 486
Original post by groovyd97
No, not really. They are not particularly compeititive and you exceed the required grades so should get an offer.

Cool thank you I feel a lot more confident :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you rank these unis?

Bath, Bristol & Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
How would you rank these unis?

Bath, Bristol & Nottingham

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nottingham>Bristol/Bath - Not much in it really
Im unsure what Uni's to apply for. I got AAB in my AS Levels and got a B in A level maths 447/600. I am planning to retake C3 and M1 though to bump it up to an A

AS Results
A in Politics 169/200
A in History 163/200
B in Physics 238/300 (only 2 UMS of the A:frown:)

I dropped History as I really didn't enjoy it and the second year looked even worse. I am predicted an A* in Politics and an A in physics and the maths retake.

I am looking at Warwick and Nottingham as my two top ones and then maybe Lancaster and Leicester aswell.
Original post by mattj94
Hi, I recently launched a site that lists entry requirements for courses in the UK. Here is the page for economics - I hope it helps!

www.entryrequirements.com/economics

Thanks!

Very well developed! :smile:

Thanks a lot
Anyone got any offers yet?? One of my friends got an offer for Bath and one got an offer for Warwick Economics!!3 It's so early!!! I'm sending mine off tonight - I'd be so psyched if I got an offer in the next week or so!
Original post by Lewis7253
Im unsure what Uni's to apply for. I got AAB in my AS Levels and got a B in A level maths 447/600. I am planning to retake C3 and M1 though to bump it up to an A

AS Results
A in Politics 169/200
A in History 163/200
B in Physics 238/300 (only 2 UMS of the A:frown:)

I dropped History as I really didn't enjoy it and the second year looked even worse. I am predicted an A* in Politics and an A in physics and the maths retake.

I am looking at Warwick and Nottingham as my two top ones and then maybe Lancaster and Leicester aswell.

Yeah those unis seem realistic choices :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im applying to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, St Andrews and Durham. I already have an A* in maths and am predicted A*AA in my other 3 which are further maths, history and chemistry. I hope I get some offers soon. Is anyone else applying to these unit and do you know how long it takes to get responses from them.
Original post by Puffin Boffin
Im applying to Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, St Andrews and Durham. I already have an A* in maths and am predicted A*AA in my other 3 which are further maths, history and chemistry. I hope I get some offers soon. Is anyone else applying to these unit and do you know how long it takes to get responses from them.

I've applied to cambridge warwick and durham too!

I think durham take their time with it all so that could be a while
Cambridge invited people to interview around 2 weeks before so mid November (?)
And warwick have already given out a few offers so I guess they're working on a rolling basis

No idea about the other 2 sorry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone got any offers yet?? One of my friends got an offer for Bath and one got an offer for Warwick Economics!!3 It's so early!!! I'm sending mine off tonight - I'd be so psyched if I got an offer in the next week or so!

How strong were your friends' applications?
Reply 496

Do you know what your friends stats where who got an offer for Warwick economics? Thats so crazy! Ive not sent mine off yet:redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I got an email from LSE saying they'd received my UCAS application, but I was confused by the email because I'd been seeing people say that LSE ask for module results?

In the email it said "It is Undergraduate Admissions policy to make decisions based solely on the information presented on your UCAS application"

It does then go onto say, "
In instances where we require additional information in order to make a decision (i.e. predicted grades, clarification about your qualifications, details of extenuating circumstances, etc), I will contact you." - so is that part meaning that module scores will sometimes be asked for or is the first part outright saying they won't?

I'm just curious and wondering if anyone else knows more!
At a level i got A in maths biology german and turkish and B in chemistry
My predicted grades will probably be A in maths biology german and A* in turkish

I am thinking of applying to warwick, surrey, york, birmingham and southampton --- actually might change one to nottingham

Are these realistic choices and also, how likely is it to get an interview?

Also further maths and economics were available at my sixth form but i didn't choose them. Would that put my choices at risk? So scaredddd
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RAV 123
I got it. What do you think my chances are?

If you continue with 4 a levels, they want a*aab right? Just wondering, because i am doing turkish -a* maths biology and german and i dropped chemistry -b

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending